Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augmented Reality - The Future of Haunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augmented Reality - The Future of Haunting?

I've seen different threads about the future of haunting lately, but none specifically about Augmented Reality (NOT virtual reality).

I think that VR might eventually become part of haunts, but i'm guessing long before that happens we'll see AUGMENTED REALITY in haunts. Why? Because you don't need expensive headsets for AR to work. People can use their phones to view the augmented content, and to play augmented reality games within a haunt. The content is also less expensive to produce. Augmented reality is NOT a total reality replacement like VR. Instead, it uses your phone's camera to show you your actual environment (such as the inside of your haunt, or whatever is currently in front of your phone), and then it overlays graphics on top of the real world. So you could put a dragon (for example) in the hall in front of you. It would not be there in the real world, of course, but if you held your phone up to look at your hall through it, you would see the dragon. Also you can interact with the augmented reality content using your phone. You could tap on your screen, and make the dragon explode. This technology uses phones most of our haunt audience already have, and it's not that expensive to produce (not much more expensive than an average iOS mobile game).

Now imagine being able to put animated zombies within your actual haunt, that your customers could shoot with their phones, and the zombies' heads would explode (all with no actual actor, or costume, or blood SFX mess to clean up and reset)! Imagine putting virtual hidden treasure in your haunt for costumers to find and collect. Imagine having some kind of virtual mystery game, where your customers collect virtual clues to solve it. Imagine a competitive augmented reality game played within your haunt, that has a leader board with high scores, and customers who pay to go through multiple times to attempt to beat their friends' scores. The possibilities are vast, and the technology exists NOW. No special headset or equipment needed, just a phone. As the name implies, it does not replace your current haunt, it augments it!

I will predict here and now that the first company to successfully integrate augmented reality into their haunt (especially an augmented reality game played within the haunt) is going to be hailed as the future of the industry, and is going to get unprecedented press coverage and popularity. I also predict that the first company to specialize in creating this type of content for the haunt industry will also see great success.

Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM.
    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Another example:

Comment

Possible -

Your first example it possible - Problem with most augmented reality is it uses scanner codes, or symbols that the phone needs to be able to read in order to make the object appear. I have played around with it and it can be pretty touchy - sometimes it reads great....sometimes not so well. You would need to stick these "Codes" anywhere that you wanted something to happen.

The second example I do not think will be phone capable - and by my understanding is VR based and will be quite expensive when it first hits the markets.

There are definitely some cool things coming in the near future for sure!

Comment

Actually, the first example is a game called "Ghostbusters: Paranormal Blast", and I have it on my phone right now. If I look through the phone, it shows ghosts flying around my bedroom. I can shoot them with a proton pack, and set a ghost trap to contain them. The marshmallow man busts through my wall (just like in the second video), and I can fight him too. I do all this in real-time, on my phone, with no QR codes. QR codes usually just link you to a website. This is a different technology.

The second video is also augmented reality, but it is shown from the perspective of already looking through a device. It is also a bit enhanced, as it's several years old, before augmented reality was fully ready for mobile devices.

Here's another example. In this case they made butterflies, but they could've made zombies, or flying skulls, or demons, or whatever an animator can create a 3d model of (which is virtually anything).

Comment

OK, I found a MUCH better example of the possible haunt application of this technology. In this version, the augmented content is not computer graphics, but rather actual video of characters and effects. This means potentially you could put your own characters into your augmented reality haunt app!

Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 03-07-2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Its not real. You can not hurt me in a video game.

Comment

Not quite Augmented -

The Ghostbusters & Butterflies do not seem to be quite "Augmented Reality" it looks to be more of a "Pass Through" video overlaying graphics onto what your camera is seeing and does not seem to actually detect it's surroundings - I could see in the ghostbusters demo that the "Monsters" did not bump into walls or go behind things - it is just an image overlaid on a real time background.

The Night Terrors games is much closer to actual augmented reality since it maps your area and actually uses the environment - Problem is you would have to let each person map your layout with their phones first at this point - I am sure possible in the future you could just upload a pre-made map to the device. I still don't think it will replace haunts, maybe add another experience to it on nights your not running an actor driven haunt???

Don't get me wrong I love this technology - I have bought just about every VR device over the years hoping for that ultimate experience, it's getting closer with the new Oculus & Vive devices - In another couple weeks I will have the new retail Oculus in hand and can't wait to see just how much better it is that the developer version. Who knows what another year or two has in store - but I firmly believe they will never replace a good old fashion physically in your face haunt

Comment

I totally agree that it is unlikely AR or VR will totally replace live haunts (or at least I hope not!). I think the technology will be used to augment haunts, or possibly even be used as small add-on haunts (like how large haunts often add a small black light/3D haunts in addition to their main attraction).

Comment

Working...
                X