Lighting a trail to keep guests on the right track -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting a trail to keep guests on the right track -

So now that everyone has helped us solve the sound issue - we are looking to tackle the "Lighting The Path" issue - It seems no matter what we do our guests manage to wander of the marked trail, most stating that it was too dark to see the signs pointing them in the right direction......Now mind you this is an asphalt walk way that is pretty obvious....but doesn't seem to matter.

So our only thought it to provide lighted markers along the trail - either both sides or just one side. Our first idea was the solar path lights, sticking them maybe every 30-40 feet or so, i'm sure we could buy them in bulk from someone - but would love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions up their sleeves.

Thanks!!

LED ROPE LIGHTS! We are actually putting this in Darkness right now inside our emergency access hallways.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

No solar lights

I would advise against solar lights. We tried that last year and in even mildly dense woods the lights would not get enough sun during daylight hours to really last too long in the dark. So they either would not light when it got dark, or they would last only an hour or two.
      -Eric
      Chief Engineer/Co-Creative Director
      HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

If you have it dark enough they will follow the lighted trail.

Comment

Rope Lights -

We thought about rope lights - but this is a very LONG trail - Maybe we will need to go with low voltage LED lighting and run it overhead since burying the wire is not an option.

Comment

You'll still run into issues with low voltage landscape lighting over a very long run, especially if you want a lot of lights. My plan for this year is to only put "guide" lights (like ropes or strings of something) near dark turns in the path or anywhere that is it is not 100% obvious even for the most mundane of intellects.
            -Eric
            HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

Rope LEDs aren't a good idea for a long woodland trail.

* First, it's expensive at really long runs.
              * Second, the amp usage builds up so if you are like 1/2 mile long you are going to be consuming a lot of power even if it is LED.
              * Third, LED ropes are more likely to break when twisted in the wind, being hit by falling tree limbs or deer ramming. Yes, deer will ram into the rope at full speeds and break the connectors. I've actually had it happen. If you're going to use LEDs rope lights outdoors... better read about incandescent rope lights versus LED rope lights. The LED rope lights have more problems than incandescent rope lights.
              * Fourth, they are too bright. It's hard to startle scare when everything is lit up like Christmas and it kills the nature darkness of the woods that you should be taking advantage of.
              * Fifth, what happens if your power source is knocked out? Even if only a portion is knocked out by a unplugged power source or generator going down... think of the results. You'd have possibly dozens of people stranded in the darkness of the woods. VERY UNSAFE conditions. These people will start looking for the closest light source and walk straight to it. It would be a nightmare.

You probably aren't going to like my solution because it's labor intensive. But it's worked perfectly for 3 seasons and we never have a problem with customers leaving the trail. Ready?

Custom made low voltage LED lights individually powered by batteries, one every 8 to 10 feet only a foot off the ground and only on one side of the trail. I designed ours from scratch, order most of the parts from China, and paid some high school students to construct them all. So every night I have to have two actors run the length of the trail to turn them all on... then off after closing. It sounds painful. It sort of is a pain in the ass. But I can tell you I've never regretted it for the reasons listed above. I can provide more details if you're interested in the idea.

Comment

"100% obvious even for the most mundane of intellects." - I like this......because no matter what we do with signs....lights....verbal direction.....there is always groups that manage to go against everything we could think of and end up way out in a field somewhere. I just don't get what part of their brain says....."Hey lets walk away from the direction of all the screaming and lights - it has to be the right way"

Comment

Exactly, Evernight. We had some girl lose her keys last year. We found them about 20 ft from the very obvious trail, in a very densely wooded area. How they got there, beyond being thrown, is a mystery. People will find a way to screw things up in ways you never dreamed possible...
                  -Eric
                  HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

lanterns

We sell led lanterns. That can be hung from a shephards hook or post. Put them 15 to 20 ft apart. Allow just enough themed lighting to guide your guest through your outdoor event. Discounts on multiples. Give us a call.
                    Thanks
                    Damon
                    www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                    573 253 6508
                    Damon Carson

Comment

Like I said earlier if you have it dark enough they will follow the light. It really is that simple. On a different note solar powered lights suck. I know all of this from experience, 2015 was our first year with a second attraction "The Haunted Swamp Trail". Needless to say it was a learning experience.

Comment

I use a mixture of physical barriers, where no matter what I do people wonder off (wood slat snow fence is great for this, ad some distressing and it even fits theme.)

I also use themed lighting to highlight the direction of travel, try to avoid "blinders, " lights that face to the guests and blinds them for a scare. They are affective for hiding actors but the lights cause people to try to get out of it so they move to the side, and sometimes off the path. Having the light source behind the guests pointing into the direction of travel helps keep people moving the way you want.

I also use directional lighting. This isn't limited to lighted arrows, though I have used those before also, but can be other path lights (rope lights, Tiki torches (please no real flame) or others)

And of course you need to use a combination of all of the above depending on show, Scene, scare, path, hazards, ect.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Comment

rope

we just rope it all off its the only way

Comment

Roping it off -

We have roped off areas and people go right under the ropes - I know that this type of person will also ignore any lights we have up - Thinking it's time for shock collars and the invisible fences used for dogs

Comment

We took white rock and poured a small row of it on each side of the path. The white rock was easily visible no matter how dark it was and it worked great for our guests to follow it. We hung lanterns about every 50 feet way up in the trees by a rope that was tied away from the trail so our customers couldnt get to them. It worked well for us when we used the outdoor trail a couple years ago.
                              Greg
                              Greg Allen
                              scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                              www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Working...
                              X