Transworld 2016 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transworld 2016 Review

I'm probably not the best person to review the show since I was hardly there and didn't really walk around the show floor but here it goes...

I would say if it wasn't for the escape room side of the show it would have been a real downer. What I heard over and over again is there is nothing really new to buy. I actually agree!

Here is why... even when a vendor makes a new dead body its still a dead body. When a vendor makes a new walk around costumes its still basically the same thing. When a vendor makes a new animation its still just an animation. All vendors did for the most part was make more of what they already make. The positive is they are getting better at making what they make so the quality is risen by 10 fold... but its still the same thing.

How many different ways can you make something that lunges out of a wall or pops up from behind something? Tough!

I think its time for vendors to move away from what they feel comfortable making and try something different mix it up! Look at the booth we did the Christmas stuff... OMG that went like totally viral. There was like 10 million people lined up to take pictures because it was totally different than anything they had ever seen. I think haunters are ready to get more outside the box and with more haunts opening for things like Valentines Day to Easter to whatever... couldn't vendors have made something related strictly to holidays? You still have your army of pop out the window animations or dead bodies or whatever to fall back on.

I think the Christmas booth PROVED that vendors need to totally take risks and move away from ZOMBIES, MONSTERS, and the like and do something totally different. We don't need more dead bodies, skulls, zombies, we need stuff that is going to help us open year around, or something to mix up the haunt drastically.

I still have NO CLUE why some vendor isn't at the show selling kids and rigs to send your actors flying across your haunt, or large fx where 20 people experience something at the same exact time. Haunts want to be overwhelmed they are always looking for the I HAVE TO BUY ONE MOMENT... and I just didn't see that this year.

Then you move over to the escape rooms almost every single vendor basically sold the same exact thing... a phone, a box, a hand print, a fuse box there was no originality there either.

Not everyone wants to be the exact same!!!!!!!!!!

The industry as a whole needs to start realizing yeah I have 100 different variations of a dead body, animation, or costume and make something different!

Sometimes people come to the show and say ... hey XYZ vendor I saw your whatever last year I want that. Many people buy last years stuff because they wanted then but already bought something for that year... so last years dead bodies could still be this years hot item. So be thinking on how you can expand your line and venture out into new directions. Heck I would have loved to see a haunt vendor make an entire line of HAPPY CHEERFUL Christmas characters and animations. WHY? Because if people knew they could buy them they would know where to get them...

Let me make a point ... look at Poison Props as an example what if he came to the show with animated elves, snowman, etc etc and it was all happy stuff. He still has 2 billion things that are jump out stuff he has more than anyone. So widening up that product line would be great. Once someone says the hell with it and does it they will realize I didn't understand the demand was there ... there are TONS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE wondering where can I buy elves, reindeer, santa, easter bunny, to everything between. Haunters are the perfect market for these products not to mention online.

The move is on to widen the base of the haunters business, from escape rooms, zombie laser tag, to yes CHRISTMAS!

Every single Six Flags for example is opening Christmas holiday shows to go along with the tons that are already open. So again just picking on Poison Props for a second we know you have 4 billion animated pop outs, why not Christmas. Same goes for EVERYONE from Ghost Ride, Gore Galore, to EVERYONE!

Just because its a HAUNT SHOW doesn't mean your new line has to be SCARY! Most of your sales DO NOT COME from the haunt show they come from past clients, internet so your line or horror props will always be there.

Its time to BRANCH OUT because that is exactly what is happening on every single level.

I don't need the 200 and 13th different version of a zombie I need vendors who can provide ANY type of thing I want to do... just a thought!

Otherwise yes you ALL did a fantastic job at drastically improving your products everything looked amazing... simply amazing.

But its still more of the same exact thing. Time to look in other directions and broaden the shows appeal and your companies appeal.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

I personally did not buy anything from anyone. I did however see many awesome things like the new costumes from gore galore or the dead bodies from ghost ride. I just spent so much money leading up to the show I didn't buy anything.

All the Christmas stuff you saw plus more was bought in advance from Unit 70 for a new haunt we are building at Creepyworld. We are all set!

The masks from the mask companies was simply incredible. I thought that Rip City put on a great display in their booth. If I had to vote for the best booth at the show I would have to go with either Ghost Ride or Gore Galore.

Best booth that showcased their product well was Rip City.

I hope next year to see EVERYONE go in a wildly different directions ... not that I don't love what you did this year I DO but I'm ready for something totally different!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

This was a very uninteresting show. You pretty much see vendors altering the look of their booth but still featuring the same stuff we've already seen.

Allan

Comment

Still getting request for our Christmas stuff from 2009 show... Next year it will probably be a Christmas prop flood with this convo..

Comment

I think TW should ban cameras from the show. I know it will never happen but its so annoying. I walked 3 steps in the dark zone and turned around because everyone stops to record animatronics in there. What are you even going to do with that video? Maybe from 3-5pm could be a media time so people can get through and buy!

Comment

Ban Cameras? WTF?
            Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

There has to be a better way to manage it. 95% of the people in the dark zone don't even buy anything, just stand in the way to take video. Do you video the dark zone Grimley?

Comment

Going to agree with Larry -

We went into the show with a moderate budget for some new "Wow" items - We ended up buying two smaller animatronics and some bits and pieces because we just didn't find that one big "Wow" item. I loved some of the new costumes and as always the bigger companies had some great stuff - just nothing that stood out as the "Must Have" item.

I TOTALLY agree with Larry on the Christmas items as much as I hate to say it because Christmas already floods the stores in October - But we had settled on the idea last year of finally trying a small Christmas themed walkthrough, finding lights, trees, decorations, etc. was a breeze.......finding suitable elves, snowmen, and other nice looking props for such a walkthrough was almost impossible - and what we did find was considered collector things like handmade whimsical elves. I know there are Christmas conventions we could hit, but would be nice to have a few vendors available at the show.

I don't agree with the "Ban" the cameras comment from Matt though - It's great to look at the items in a catalog, but sometimes they don't show all angles of a prop - Or there may not be video of an animation online to show your team back home when considering something to buy. If people want to video it however I think they need to be more mindful of where they are standing, and if they do block an aisle then they should expect people to walk in front of their cameras.

Comment

Yes evernight! Be mindful lol. I think the Dark Zone needs to be twice as big. And what about a media aisle through it?

Comment

Whats this !

Larry you been watching alot of nightmare before xmas hmmm
                    do i have to worry about you flying in a sleigh over ST LOUIS being shot at ?
                    For trying to be Larryclaws... =)~
                    Xmas house looked Great However the Screaming kid i wanted to rip my ear drums off after 2 days of it..

open-uri20150608-27674-ulk2g1_bf0b5d6d (1).jpeg

Comment

disney_movie_jack_skellington_the-nightmare-before-christmas-284x166.jpg

One more

Comment

I would disagree on one point...Gantom CLEARLY had the best booth! No question.
                        http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                        >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Isn't the gantom booth made by 13th floor group? Gantom can afford to sponsor everything and but a big booth they charge several times more for their products then they have to. I can't see anyone spending $65 for a mini LED light when they can go to Amazon and get those color changing rgb lights for a fraction of the cost gantom charges. Plus I heard he owns the factory in China so he's really making a monster profit from Haunters.

DA

Comment

I don't think the Gantom booth was the best. I thought it was over kill to show off a flashlight.

I think most of the stuff looked good this year. It seems the show is innovative every other year. This year was very similar to last year but it wasn't bad. I thought Ghost Ride and Unit 70 had the best stuff. I think this is the first year ever I bought nothing. I just couldn't find anything I felt I wanted/needed. I may purchase some Ghost Ride stuff post show because it looked really good but at the show I couldn't think of what I would do with any of the stuff I saw at any of the booths. I thought the Unit 70 stuff looked really cool but I have ZERO use for Christmas themed stuff. I'm not Krampus crazy like a lot of other haunters seem to be right now.

The escape room people need to work on there presentation skills a little I think. I only really went through there Thursday morning. The first three vendors I talked to wouldn't give information on what it was they were selling. In fact two of them just kept telling me the could make games. They had like four toys they were displaying but none of them did anything, they kept saying they could make them do stuff but currently they do nothing. I didn't bother with that area after the first morning, it just felt like they didn't want to give info away on whatever their product was.

Maybe the Escape game stuff is awesome but I'm less interested in it now than before the show, and I didn't care about it then. I probably should play one, maybe I would fall in love with it but right now it doesn't seem any cooler than puzzle game on an IPAD.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

I don't agree at all that Gantom had the best booth. I'm with Jared why a booth like that to showcase a flashlight. The booth was a copy of something straight from Universal Studios Harry Potter. Last year Gantom had a booth that was totally copied from Harry Potter and this years booth wasn't far off the mark. Not sure why the obsession with Harry Potter or if that is part of the theme with the flash light.

I liked the show a lot but didn't really see anything big that was new. I did however see a lot of little things for actors I liked and bought.

Best overall Booth was Halloween Productions Christmas booth and when you look at social media I think everyone agrees.

Best big prop was that the Krampus screaming kid animation

Best overall prop booth hands down Ghost Ride with Gore Galore a close second.

Best animations Poison Props because of the price. They have great prices and their stuff is scary.

I liked the Escape Room side of things but when you talked to people clearly these people don't know how to sell you stuff. I guess it's a new industry and they have a lot to learn. I was expecting to see a one stop shop for escape room stuff but what I found was everyone had the same 5 things over and over again. We will build escape rooms but those puzzles and electronic devices can be made by us cheaper and honestly much better.

The seminars are again so so some are okay some are good some are terrible.

I think overall the show was bigger and overall better even if there wasn't a single product that makes you go WOW!

We spent a lot of money and will return next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X