Giving too much away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topthrillryan05 View Post
    i think this is point less....... movie trailers make you go see a movie most haunts show a trailer. The show needs to make sales and make people go i think every thing that gets seen can be a sale i don't think any thing is giving away too much. As a haunter its your job to take that prop and put your spin and scare on it. if you do just drop it in a room and light it woot woot go you. its our jobs to take what we buy and make more of it! also company's need to make sales this helps them if you do feel like your prop you bought at the show is a giveaway get with a company and make your 1 and only monster its your haunt your hands make the most there will always be giveaways a photo from a guest word of mouth this is why you make changes as much as you can it cant be stopped

This discussion went right over your head! No one is talking about movie trailers here. Of course Haunters make videos prior to opening to create a buzz, but that wasn't my point. Also, many people do custom, that's pretty much all we do. The point is is that too many people are showing every aspect of our industry to the general public and it's taking any mystique or separation from our professional attractions to them.

Of course, there is a percentage of the population that will seek it out on their own and see what's new because they are very much into it or affiliated with the industry in some way but what I'm saying is that people are actively posting industry updates and tradeshow footage to everyone, which isn't necessary.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
      This discussion went right over your head! No one is talking about movie trailers here. Of course Haunters make videos prior to opening to create a buzz, but that wasn't my point. Also, many people do custom, that's pretty much all we do. The point is is that too many people are showing every aspect of our industry to the general public and it's taking any mystique or separation from our professional attractions to them.

Of course, there is a percentage of the population that will seek it out on their own and see what's new because they are very much into it or affiliated with the industry in some way but what I'm saying is that people are actively posting industry updates and tradeshow footage to everyone, which isn't necessary.

Allan
      i see your point and i wanted to relate other stuff that might have the same problems...
      so..all i can say is i would not worry about this its been like this for a few years now its only going to get worse social media is huge
      i see lots of people that watch the videos see stuff they missed or some people cant go or stuff comes up the post to me seem wonderful plus if a home haunter/general public can buy a 10k prop let them so what if they just seen it on a Facebook meme that company also made 10K. the industry is very welcoming well most of them...... sorry if you don't get me i just think there is no problem here just my 2 cents

Comment

I wouldn't worry.

WE see all these videos. The SERIOUS aficionados take the time out to maybe hit a horror con or Transworld.

But most of your customers go in blind.

And Krampus is centuries old and was overexposed long before Transworld. There have been movies, TV episodes and lots and lots of memes. And parades in a growing number of cities on Krampusnacht itself.

Comment

I couldn't agree with @topthrillryan05 more. Also to someone else's point, I don't think we're as exposed as we think we are. If a major prop, like that chair screamer from Poison goes viral, unless someone who sees it is also interested in purchasing one or something along those lines, they're not gonna put in the research effort to find the vendor or look at their other products. Granted, the chair screamer went viral years after it had already been out. Now a person like Ellen who has been using Poison props on her halloween specials the last few years has "exposed" them to a wider platform, but I don't think that hurt the industry.

...I also agree that you don't buy a prop and use it "as is". Plenty of other haunts I've visited when we weren't open and seen a prop and thought "Whoa! Totally inventive way to use that!!!"

I may post my favorite vendors from Transworld on my personal Facebook page, but all my social media friends know me as "that haunter"...and if anything gets them really excited to come see our show in the fall. To each their own though!!! I understand both views of this topic.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
          O'Shawn McClendon
          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

A Different Light

Lets put things in a different perspective for a minute I am not only a haunt owner but also a salon owner. In order for my salon to be unique and a place where people want to keep coming I have to keep an element of surprise... So when I go to the hair shows and there are new products coming out or techniques or styles that only us as salon owners/stylists learn I make sure that as a salon we learn the new techniques and buy all of the new awesome tools that NOONELSE has. Now let's say that I were to go in there take pictures of every company at the show along with all of the tools we buy and take videos of the classes we take and post them all over the Internet and social media and YouTube and now everyone out there will know where to get our tools our products and know of the tricks to the trade so that they can just do it themselves at home which ruins the entire experience of coming to the salon because it leaves NO wow factor, people would just come in and so oh I have that I know how to use that and know how to do that so what else can you offer and at that point what else do I have to offer? because everyone already knows everything! The major point is that as a haunter in general we should be thriving for that element of surprise and shock and there is no longer that because our doors are completely open now and I truly think that we should close them back up!

Comment

Originally posted by NightmareCornMaze23 View Post
              Lets put things in a different perspective for a minute I am not only a haunt owner but also a salon owner. In order for my salon to be unique and a place where people want to keep coming I have to keep an element of surprise... So when I go to the hair shows and there are new products coming out or techniques or styles that only us as salon owners/stylists learn I make sure that as a salon we learn the new techniques and buy all of the new awesome tools that NOONELSE has. Now let's say that I were to go in there take pictures of every company at the show along with all of the tools we buy and take videos of the classes we take and post them all over the Internet and social media and YouTube and now everyone out there will know where to get our tools our products and know of the tricks to the trade so that they can just do it themselves at home which ruins the entire experience of coming to the salon because it leaves NO wow factor, people would just come in and so oh I have that I know how to use that and know how to do that so what else can you offer and at that point what else do I have to offer? because everyone already knows everything! The major point is that as a haunter in general we should be thriving for that element of surprise and shock and there is no longer that because our doors are completely open now and I truly think that we should close them back up!
              Great point! I love it and agree that IF it were possible, we should try to contain as many "secrets" as possible...but other than specifically a how-to on certain props/tech, there isn't really anything proprietary about haunting that a Google or YouTube search couldn't reveal...I haven't seen full seminars posted online (although most seminars are fairly common sense to anyone who has been around the block)...or a make and take that you HAVE to be present for. Salon reference is valid but only by vague comparison. They're two different business models really. I can cut my own hair, but I may go to a barber for convenience, rapport with a business, or simply because I like the "luxury" aspect. Looking at haunts I feel the same. Guests will come despite knowing your "secrets" because it's something to do seasonally, or they just love your show. Any number of reasons.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
              O'Shawn McClendon
              Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I agree, to an extent. I mean, I'm not gonna get my underoos in a wad over it. But let me put in my .000002 cents worth. I'm building a trailer haunt. 4 trailers, 3 of which will have rooms (4th is just a dark maze to extend the experience)..... we will have maybe 10 rooms, not including our hallways, dark hallways and claustrophobia... but on our social media we are vlogging and posting pics of progress of 2 rooms. Only 2. Because I am also an avid movie goer. I love movies. I used to not mind trailers, even the big 3.5+ minute ones... but here lately, they're just giving way too damn much away. Take Batman Vs. Superman... holy crap... if they didn't show Doomsday, 1. I wouldn't have guessed the ending so early on. 2. It would've been a MASSIVE surprise that would've been so much more rewarding as opposed to seeing it in the last trailer I saw before going to the theater.

Yes, I believe it is over-saturated, but that's the way of the world now. We can choose to get pissy and moan about it, or we can accept it and just try to deal with it as positively as possible. We're in a transition period, in another 5 to 10 years, this topic won't even be thought of... because that "over exposure"? YEah, it'll be so common it'll just not even be a topic. Or the industry will find ways to work around it. Evolve.

Comment

I see both sides. And topthrillryan05 was correct to make the movie trailer comparison. I hate the way those overblown commercials show all the best parts, major surprises, and usually infer the entire plot to the movie before I have a chance to experience it. Certainly the producers realize after decades of making them, that they give away too much. But they also sell the tickets. Apparently, its better to spoil the surprise and sell more tickets than the opposite. (At least as far as Hollywood is concerned.)

That being said, we don't allow any photos inside our haunt, and avoid walk through type videos for promos because we don't want anyone learning the layout. I hate it when popular prop videos go vivral, or shows up on youtube or facebook, but that's something that's endemic with our times. It's also another reason to always customize your stuff and not use anything straight out of the box or crate.

I think the best take away of what Allan is saying is that "less is more" when it comes to photos and videos. Leave something to the customer's imagination. Obviously, I can't tell others what to post and not to post (they wouldn't listen to me regardless) but I suggest people try to remember their early days of experiencing haunted houses as a customer. Not knowing quite what to expect is part of the fear and excitement. You want to know it's worthwhile before going (hence, some photos are expected) but you only need a glimpse, not the full monty!
                  www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Originally posted by monsterwax View Post

I think the best take away of what Allan is saying is that "less is more" when it comes to photos and videos. Leave something to the customer's imagination. Obviously, I can't tell others what to post and not to post (they wouldn't listen to me regardless) but I suggest people try to remember their early days of experiencing haunted houses as a customer. Not knowing quite what to expect is part of the fear and excitement. You want to know it's worthwhile before going (hence, some photos are expected) but you only need a glimpse, not the full monty!

Thats exactly what I was saying, thanks!

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw View Post
                      I agree, to an extent. I mean, I'm not gonna get my underoos in a wad over it. But let me put in my .000002 cents worth. I'm building a trailer haunt. 4 trailers, 3 of which will have rooms (4th is just a dark maze to extend the experience)..... we will have maybe 10 rooms, not including our hallways, dark hallways and claustrophobia... but on our social media we are vlogging and posting pics of progress of 2 rooms. Only 2. Because I am also an avid movie goer. I love movies. I used to not mind trailers, even the big 3.5+ minute ones... but here lately, they're just giving way too damn much away. Take Batman Vs. Superman... holy crap... if they didn't show Doomsday, 1. I wouldn't have guessed the ending so early on. 2. It would've been a MASSIVE surprise that would've been so much more rewarding as opposed to seeing it in the last trailer I saw before going to the theater.

Yes, I believe it is over-saturated, but that's the way of the world now. We can choose to get pissy and moan about it, or we can accept it and just try to deal with it as positively as possible. We're in a transition period, in another 5 to 10 years, this topic won't even be thought of... because that "over exposure"? YEah, it'll be so common it'll just not even be a topic. Or the industry will find ways to work around it. Evolve.

You just pretty much completely failed to address my point. Post whatever you want to of your show that's not what I was referring too. And no one is moaning and crying. Just comment to the post and keep your insults to yourself. I was talking about people posting new prop, masks, transworld videos to the general public. All too often it's people who don't even own a haunt posting things spoiling it for people who would rather save some surprises for paying customers.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
                        You just pretty much completely failed to address my point. Post whatever you want to of your show that's not what I was referring too. And no one is moaning and crying. Just comment to the post and keep your insults to yourself. I was talking about people posting new prop, masks, transworld videos to the general public. All too often it's people who don't even own a haunt posting things spoiling it for people who would rather save some surprises for paying customers.

Allan
                        Where do you see me insulting anyone? Are you that insecure to think that every time something, ANYTHING remotely negative is said that it's insulting you? I think you need to go see a mental dr. if so. I mean, if you want insults, by god I can dish out some insults... in fact I have no qualms about getting so god damned irate on here that it'll get the thread locked down.

I was just merely comparing it to how I am treating my haunt and it's promotion, if you can't even comprehend THAT, then we can't help you. I'm still baffled at how you can even remotely think that I was insulting anyone. But if you like, I can come back with some comprehension skill insults.. or some "yo momma" jokes. ( <-- sarcasm for laughter, if you couldn't catch that.)
                        Last edited by Hacksaw; 04-26-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Do you know who mdking is

Do you know who Allen is? He has accomplished more then you ever will and thats not a insult it's a fact. The man builds almost all his own stuff and has his own YouTube channel that he shares his secrets to save haunters big bucks on projects they want to do themselves. He also use to be one of the admin. on this forum but I am pretty sure he got sick of it (because things like this) and stepped back. He also use to share a lot more to but there's only so much a person can take( especially when your trying to help). That's why this forum is pretty much dead compared to when I joined. Let the good times roll.

Comment

Originally posted by son-of-sam View Post
                            Do you know who Allen is? He has accomplished more then you ever will and thats not a insult it's a fact. The man builds almost all his own stuff and has his own YouTube channel that he shares his secrets to save haunters big bucks on projects they want to do themselves. He also use to be one of the admin. on this forum but I am pretty sure he got sick of it (because things like this) and stepped back. He also use to share a lot more to but there's only so much a person can take( especially when your trying to help). That's why this forum is pretty much dead compared to when I joined. Let the good times roll.

Thanks son-of-Sam. I appreciate your support of me on this thread but I think you are describing Allen Hopps, who is a good guy no doubt.

Allan

Comment

In general...

Everyone gets offended over nothing these day, in fact, people's lives are apparently so boring that they look for insult so as to be offended. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" was lost since Obama became president, giving license to malcontents and professional grievance mongers. Too many people have lost the ability to look logically at things, instead just dealing with emotions.

Comment

My bad

Dam do I feel dumb. I just have not seen him post for so long I just thought it was him and he changed his forum name also the 2003 member so I assumed.

Comment

Working...
                                X