Portable Toilets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Toilets

Our trailer haunt will be located away from easy access to a bathroom.
    We'd like to have portable toilets available both for the haunt season this coming September/October, and for the crew throughout the year during the build-out.

I would imagine monthly service will start to get pretty spendy.

I've looked around online in places like Craigslist, but haven't found any portable toilets for sale.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation before? Is it possible to purchase a portable toilet outright and just pay for emptying service as needed?

One of the least glamorous posts on this website, I'm sure.

Thanks.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Originally posted by Abunai View Post
    One of the least glamorous posts on this website, I'm sure.
    Most serving companies make their money on the service, not the toilet rental. Won't save much, if anything, buying them.
    Next is monthly service probably won't cut it. Weekly service is the norm. Depending on your volume and number of units, more often may be required.
    What about sinks? Handicap units?

We gear up throughout the season, ending with about 30 toilets. Last couple of weekends are normally twice a week service.
    That is not nearly enough servicing to make the toilets not look like a prop, so we have a crew member assigned to clean nightly - not empty - just clean.

Also figured out that women are, uhmm, shall we say sloppy? After we separated the male/female units, we are able to concentrate on the female units.
    Besides trashing the units more, females are also more likely to complain about the cleanliness (or lack of).
    Servicing company leaves us extra cases of paper and towels that we restock with nightly.

Just more weird crap you don't learn in school pun intended!
    Last edited by Karl Fields; 04-10-2016, 12:41 AM.
    http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

I agree. Rent them. Should be able to get them for around 80 each, per month
      Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

To even remotely think about buying some is OMG the worst idea I've ever heard. You don't want to be responsible for cleaning these things no way in hell... that takes some special equipment.

RENT and make your customers happy!!!! PLEASE!!!! LOL

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
          RENT and make your customers happy!!!! PLEASE!!!! LOL

Larry
          LOL. I planned to have them serviced professionally, Larry.
          Just wondered if I could get away with not having to rent them.

I'll accept the consensus that renting is the way to go.

Comment

I don't think renting is the big cost its the service. C'mon who would actually want to own one of these things? LOL

I do know you can find them for sale because people have used them as props in their haunted house.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

It costs next to nothing to rent a bunch for the season. It has got to be our least worrisome expense. A silicone mask costs more than like 4 or 5 toilets for 7 weeks for me. Of all the expenses to try and save money on, toilet rental is dead last for me.
              Jared Layman

Comment

Porta johns for sale

Call George Maser - $250 each. Not new, but serviceable.
                864-761-7223
                George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

I say it again so let me say it...

Do you really want to grow your business?? Do you want to get bigger? Then DO NOT BUY ANY porta potties EVER don't even think about it not for one second. This is going backwards because you should focus on marketing your business, blogging, posting on sites, doing interviews, getting your monsters out at some event NOT CLEANING TOILETS!

For every little thing you misers try to make a dime on or cut out some service you are taking time away from growing your core business. Cleaning toilets just the worst idea I've ever heard to save like 500 dollars year but in reality you won't save anything... instead some animation will stay broken, some actor can't get a break, some interview can't be done, something will simply be skipped why you try and figure out how to clean these things without the equipment to do so!!!

WORST IDEA EVER!

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

I agree Larry... but...

What you say makes perfect sense and is superb advice.

That said, not everyone has your deep pockets and people are forced to be "misers" to get what they need. There is always that dynamic of choice, whether to do something yourself (and save money) or hire it out (and save time). Sometimes that is a very hard choice. If you have a lot of "volunteers" who might clean toilets then saving irreplaceable cash and letting "volunteers" maintain toilets could be a great answer. If the business owner is cleaning toilets, probably a bad idea.

Comment

Reputation Maintenance

O.K., One last time because I don't want to be forever known on Haunt Forum as the "toilet guy"...

I was asking whether it was possible to:
                      1. Buy the portable toilet instead of renting it
                      2. Just pay the portable toilet company for maintenance (i.e. cleaning) instead of for rent

I had no desire to clean the things myself or make one of my hapless employees do the dirty work.
                      I've since learned through Internet research and public shaming that that's not an option.
                      I'll pay the $100 per toilet per month rental/service fee.

Abunai, "The Toilet Guy"
                      (Uh, oh. That even rhymes)

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up...

Thanks for clearing that up, toilet guy.

Comment

To answer your question yes you can buy them. Our haunt location does not have bathroom facilities so we called our porta potty place and asked if they had any used ones we could purchase and have them on call to service them when needed since there was only a few of us out building the haunt in the off season and didnt need it serviced every week. They had no problem with that and we purchased one of their "retired" units for $75. When it needs serviced we call them and they service it. Other than that they dont charge us at any other time for renting or anything.
                          Greg Allen
                          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Just to be clear, during the season we rent porta toilets from them and have them serviced daily on the weekends. The one we own is not one for the public to use. Just our build crew.
                            Greg Allen
                            scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                            www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Originally posted by N2SPOOKINU View Post
                              To answer your question yes you can buy them. Our haunt location does not have bathroom facilities so we called our porta potty place and asked if they had any used ones we could purchase and have them on call to service them when needed since there was only a few of us out building the haunt in the off season and didnt need it serviced every week. They had no problem with that and we purchased one of their "retired" units for $75. When it needs serviced we call them and they service it. Other than that they dont charge us at any other time for renting or anything.
                              Redemption!
                              Thanks for the input, Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X