Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Escape Rooms - The new frozen yogurt store of the 80's. Get one while they are hot!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escape Rooms - The new frozen yogurt store of the 80's. Get one while they are hot!!!

If you are old enough, do you remember how big frozen yogurt stores were in the mid-80's? And then they disappeared. I heard a man at Transworld say "Escape rooms are going to have less life-span than frozen yogurt stores did in the 80's."

Unlike a frozen yogurt store, however, he said escape rooms can take virtually nothing to open and the market will quickly over-saturate with decent escape rooms and also escape rooms by people who probably have no business opening one.

Apparently, their are a crap-load of businesses out there in need of team building opportunities.

Met one serious business person at Transworld, who had a couple "successful" escape rooms and was planning to open several more, they were complaining about "fly by night" escape room operators and people just getting into the market to make a quick buck. I asked, "How long has your business been in operation". Answer, 11 months. I guess 11 months qualifies as a long time veteran of the "escape room" business.

That said, I have decided to open 100 escape rooms all in one building, a multi-multi-plex of escape rooms. Maybe I can get the WORLD RECORD for owning the most escape rooms? Time will tell.

I am also thinking of starting up the ERAA... Escape Room Attractions Association... our stated mission to serve as the official voice of the escape room attraction industry. Our mission to protect our customers and promote escape room attractions around the world.

Also wanted to let you all know that I have a "Mood Ring" and "Pet Rock" for sale.
    Last edited by SAWDUST JONES; 01-08-2017, 11:26 PM.

11 months!

Met one serious business person at Transworld, who had a couple "successful" escape rooms and was planning to open several more, they were complaining about "fly by night" escape room operators and people just getting into the market to make a quick buck. I asked, "How long has your business been in operation". Answer, 11 months. I guess 11 months qualifies as a long time veteran of the "escape room" business.

LOL!

How much for the pet rock?

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Help!!

The only room I want to escape from is this damn warehouse that Im trapped in 8 months out of the year. lol
      Joe Phillips
      The Shallow Grave
      Winter Haven FL
      http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

Escape Room Association what a joke... there is no need for an association for an industry that may or may not even last another year or two but who knows. How can you start an association for something that has no proven track record. Should there have been one for zombie runs, or mud runs, or should there now be one for extreme haunts. I can see that meeting now 'we have to set a standard of how much you can torture someone without killing them'. People are going nuts over something that might fizzle out in a year or two.

People who are putting all their eggs into the escape room business might find themselves out of business shortly. On the flip side NO ONE KNOWS so while the iron is hot as lava you should take advantage and open an escape room. I would open the best one you can and top all of your competition.

I agree that MOST of all the escape rooms are terrible and will be put to the pasture very soon by the better ones about to open. All escape rooms are about to go up 10 notches over the next 12 months. I'm betting at that point you'll see 50% or more of escape rooms will go out of business.

The strong will survive to the end of however long this lasts.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Sweet idea, Larry.

It's the Escape Room Attraction Association (ERAA) And yes, I am starting ERAA and per your advice the Mudrun Event Association (MEA) and Zombie Paintball Attraction Association (ZPAA) and the Extreme Haunt Attraction Association (EHAA), and, in fact, I will be President of all four organizations so that I can be the big fish in the small sea, so to speak.

I may even start the HA-ERAA, which would be an association for haunted attraction owners who also own escape rooms, so Larry would be able to join and to help promote haunted attractions and escape rooms too.

Now, I'm not making any promises, but I am talking to other interested parties about starting the HA-ERA-ZPA-ME-A, which is a one-stop association that covers all the above.

On the flip side of that, I am also thinking of starting the BAHHW LOCAL 97... the Benevolent Association of Haunted House Workers... so that big haunt corporations can't continue to abuse haunt workers: no health insurance, no retirement, no matching 401K's, no profit sharing... more paid sick days, in-haunt health clinics, and competitive wages.

HA-ERAA CON is coming up in Effingham in October 2016, 25th thru 28th: anybody who is anybody will be there. And ESCAPE-CON will run in Cleveland from December 21 thru 24th.
          Last edited by SAWDUST JONES; 01-08-2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

The first Escape room opened in 2006. They’ve been expanding ever since. It most likely will be a fad, just like Video Arcades, Family Entertainment Centers, Bowling Centers, and Video Games. Which by the way have all been very successful at times. How long Escape rooms last are TBD. I believe we’re in the early stages of growth.

There are people making a comfortable living off of their Escape Rooms. Time will tell just how long they remain popular. I’m not a big fan of the Internet, but that fad is still going strong!!!

I think if you have the space and ability to offer Escape rooms and operate them profitability; why not?

They aren’t in direct competition with Haunted Attractions. Some haunt operators can combine the two concepts to increase their income and help pay the bills for a year-round operation.

We created our own concept; the 3 Minute Escape room and built two of them at the exit of our haunt. We generated about $20,000 in ticket sales with just the two rooms and grossed over $17,000 in profit in just 19 nights. They were so popular we are building our third room now.

We'll be open on Friday, June 10 on the MHC bus tour. Come check our rooms out.

Kelly Collins
            The ScareAtorium Columbus

Comment

Congrats Kelly!!!!

Congrats Kelly, you qualify to become a member of the Escape Room Attraction Association (ERAA) and the Haunted Attraction-Escape Room Attraction Association (HA-ERAA). Attractions that sign up now get a free ERAA or HA-ERAA refrigerator magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by SAWDUST JONES View Post
                It's the Escape Room Attraction Association (ERAA) And yes, I am starting ERAA and per your advice the Mudrun Event Association (MEA) and Zombie Paintball Attraction Association (ZPAA) and the Extreme Haunt Attraction Association (EHAA), and, in fact, I will be President of all four organizations so that I can be the big fish in the small sea, so to speak.

And you know, working to block my local competitors while publicly stating that I am promoting and supporting the same industry. A conflict, I understand, but I smile a lot, soooo.....

I may even start the HA-ERAA, which would be an association for haunted attraction owners who also own escape rooms, so Larry would be able to join and to help promote haunted attractions and escape rooms too.

Now, I'm not making any promises, but I am talking to other interested parties about starting the HA-ERA-ZPA-ME-A, which is a one-stop association that covers all the above.

On the flip side of that, I am also thinking of starting the BAHHW LOCAL 97... the Benevolent Association of Haunted House Workers... so that big haunt corporations can't continue to abuse haunt workers: no health insurance, no retirement, no matching 401K's, no profit sharing... more paid sick days, in-haunt health clinics, and competitive wages.

HA-ERAA CON is coming up in Effingham in October 2016, 25th thru 28th: anybody who is anybody will be there. And ESCAPE-CON will run in Cleveland from December 21 thru 24th.
                Maybe you can charge 400 bucks and give members a sticker.....wait......that's already being done
                Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

I don't really understand the point of making fun of Escape Rooms. Are you a business owner? Do you want to make money NOW and become successful NOW? If you don't want to add it on to your business, then that's one thing, but Escape Rooms are legitimate. The same with zombie paintball or whatever else. I don't personally enjoy zombie paintball, but I don't knock haunts for trying it out and wanting it to be successful for them.

This entire thread seems very silly and counterproductive.
                  Ryan

Comment

Why so serious?

Originally posted by Novus View Post
                    I don't really understand the point of making fun of Escape Rooms. Are you a business owner? Do you want to make money NOW and become successful NOW? If you don't want to add it on to your business, then that's one thing, but Escape Rooms are legitimate. The same with zombie paintball or whatever else. I don't personally enjoy zombie paintball, but I don't knock haunts for trying it out and wanting it to be successful for them.

This entire thread seems very silly and counterproductive.
                    "Why so serious?"

In fact, it is silly and I would add, purposefully satirical. Is it your thought that all discussion in this forum must be serious? Is it your thought that no critical commentary (even satire in this case) can occur on Hauntworld forums? All rainbows and bubblegum for you?

There is a bit of subtext in my comments too, I am guessing you missed that.

1980's yogurt stores were "legitimate businesses". Selling mood rings and pet rocks was a "legitimate business". Amway is a "legitimate business". Selling used "school girl" underwear from vending machines in Japan, is a "legitimate business". Where did I ever say escape rooms was not a "legitimate business"?

"Make money NOW and become successful NOW" is practically a mantra for BS businesses, words likened to purveyors of pyramid schemes use to separate gullible people from their hard earned money. While escape rooms may make people money NOW, it will also end not so good for many people in the escape room business.

And just when you thought your escape room had it made, the guy born with a gold spoon in his mouth, he opens the multi-multi-plex of escape rooms just around the corner from you, merely for the sport of it. That's "legitimate business" too.

Time will tell. Maybe my comments will become prescient or maybe people will laugh at what I wrote (which was my goal). Win-win for me. Live with it.

Last edited by SAWDUST JONES; 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

There is a bit of subtext in my comments too, I am guessing you missed that.

Well, I choose not to address you with subtext. I believe your post comes off as disingenuous and petty. If you have a legitimate gripe with Escape Rooms… how they are run, why haunters are starting to build/promote them, I’d love to hear it. I think most people on these forums, especially those who are considering having their own Escape Room, would appreciate that kind of open and honest discussion.

1980's yogurt stores were "legitimate businesses". Selling mood rings and pet rocks was a "legitimate business". Amway is a "legitimate business". Selling used "school girl" underwear from vending machines in Japan, is a "legitimate business". Where did I ever say escape rooms was not a "legitimate business"?

Okay, there are always bubbles in business. I can perhaps understand you equating the yogurt store bubble of the 80’s to Escape Rooms. Sure, that makes sense. But there were still successful business owners in yogurt. And hell, there are successful business owners in yogurt now. The founder of SweetFrog in Richmond, Virginia just became a multi-millionaire after selling his franchise. He didn't just laugh it off as a fad. He took it seriously and made real money. As far as the other businesses you named… I don’t really understand the point you’re making or even why. These forums are supposed to be for serious business owners/entrepreneurs and I get inspired by reading about success and how hard other artists work. Not by a disingenuous mock-u-pardy-satire posts or whatever you want to call it.

"Make money NOW and become successful NOW" is practically a mantra for BS businesses, words likened to purveyors of pyramid schemes use to separate gullible people from their hard earned money. While escape rooms may make people money NOW, it will also end not so good for many people in the escape room business.

Being aggressive in business and taking advantage of a niche does not equate to pyramid scheme-type styles or attitudes. Even if you don’t care either way about making money, Escape Rooms are another creative outlet and it’s pretty fascinating what haunt owners and other creative-types are coming up with.

Time will tell. Maybe my comments will become prescient or maybe people will laugh at what I wrote (which was my goal). Win-win for me. Live with it.

I honestly still don’t know your goal with this thread. Mocking businesses that haunters are running (and some are running successfully) with a wink and a nod seems insulting on top of insulting. Haunters are weird, quirky people. I get that. And I understand if you're just trying to make a humorous post, but it just seems like a strange and almost condescending attitude.

And I hope more Escape Room owners will chime in with their opinion.
                      Last edited by Novus; 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM.
                      Ryan

Comment

I don't think he's mocking anything I think he's just saying SLOW DOWN JUST A BIT... and he's 110% right.

Remember haunters jumped in with 10 feet to zombie runs, zombie paintball, and many other things and now we have escape rooms and zombie laser tag. Zombie runs turned out to be a complete disaster.

NO ONE is saying escape rooms are going to be a disaster, rather why associations, why are we going nuts when NO ONE understands this better than we do. We know how things come and go so fast.

Lets not put the cart before the horse and take it slow, one step at a time, not over invest in something that may or may not last the test of time so to speak.

I think that is all he's saying... I'm saying make some money, use your haunt to promote it, use your escape games to promote your haunt, do the best you can but how far any of it goes we don't know.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                          I don't think he's mocking anything I think he's just saying SLOW DOWN JUST A BIT... and he's 110% right.

Larry,

Haven't you jumped full steam ahead into the Escape Room business with multiple rooms and seminars and how-to videos? I'd love a real conversation on the escape room genre. Weighing the pros, cons, do and don'ts. Why be flippant about it? That was my point.
                          Ryan

Comment

I'm a pragmatist. It's what I do...

Ryan, let me ask you: When you saw the title of my post "Escape Rooms - The new frozen yogurt store of the 80's. Get one while they are hot!!!", did you think the article was going to cheerleader escape rooms, or did you guess it might present some critical thoughts?

I am not suggesting people not build and operate an escape room, I am not criticizing haunts or people that do open escape rooms: I am making some personal observations on the trend and mixing a little levity in with it. Larry hit the nail on the head!

Clearly, you have some personal doubts about escape rooms, and my post must have hit a nerve. If you want someone to hold your hand and tell you don't worry, escape rooms are the next Apple Computer, I'm not that person. And if you don't like what you read, then change the channel.

Yes, Larry has opened escape rooms. A recent post of his says he is opening his third. But Larry IS Larry, he can absorb or transform a loss more easily than most people can and he has just about all he needs to do whatever he desires to do. You are not Larry, I am not Larry.

I do believe the life of escape rooms, for people who operate just escape rooms, will be short for most owners.

I have a financially broke friend with horribly rotten teeth. He went to a dentist who does implants and the guy told my friend that for $50,000 he can have a mouth full of beautiful dental implants and all his dreams will come true. My friend can't afford one implanted tooth, usually can't afford lunch, but was considering in-house financing, or some such, to pay for the fake teeth. Some of his "friends" told him that it was a fabulous idea to put himself $50,000 further in debt for dental implants-- Why "If it makes him happy, then he should do it!". I told him it was a horrible idea, that he is unable to pay his bills now and, if anything, to get some dentures.

I'm a pragmatist. It is what I do, but I try to mix it with a little humor.

My suggestion to you, instead of lamenting my posts and rending your clothes, is to spend the same time and open a new post to discuss the pro and cons, etc. of escape rooms. That will be time better spent.
                            Last edited by SAWDUST JONES; 04-24-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

And on that note, it's getting pretty silly to continue the argument at this point. I sent you a follow-up in private so we can just start cursing each other out and really start the insults. I'll respond in a new thread on Escape Rooms.
                              Last edited by Novus; 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM.
                              Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X