How many acres would be ideal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many acres would be ideal?

So for years and years we have dreamed of a permanent location as most haunts do - We have bounced back and forth between using a building.....or being outdoors - We are leaning towards outdoors just because it lends itself to so many thing here in Northern Michigan, and for the past 5 years we have been a mix of indoors and outdoors.

Over the next 3 years we will be completing our 3 year contract with the local fairgrounds and should be in a good spot to purchase some land - So for those of you doing outdoor haunts what is a decent number of acres that would give us room for both the haunted aspect, but also parking and storage? We were thinking in the ballpark of 30 acres....too much? too little? I know some will say you can never have too much space, and I agree except for the cost of that space.

Any input would be great - Thanks!!!

I'd think it would really depend on your layout. Do you do a haunted trail? A walkthrough? How many square feet is your current haunt?
    For a lot of outdoor haunts, ten acres would be sufficient (to include parking and storage).

Whatever you do, though, make sure the property you buy is zoned to allow your haunt. You'll probably be considered as an "Outdoor Amusement" or something like that. That will be allowed on only certain zones. Some zones will require a "special" or "temporary" permit. Some zones won't allow it at all. You don't want to have to fight with your planning commission to open your haunt.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Acres -

Right now the space we have at the local fairgrounds allows us to host a Hayride - Haunted Trail - and 4-5 indoor haunts. We would definitely approach any zoning issues well before purchasing the land. We want enough land to provide decent parking space along with enough room so things won't be packed together. Future plans would be expanding into other seasons as well as offering summertime activities such as outdoor laser tag or paintball scenario games.

Comment

For us the ideal size was 30 acres so that's what we looked for and found. We wanted the following breakdown:

* 10 acres of flat space for parking or anything car related.
        * 10 acres of flat space for a corn maze
        * 10 acres of woods
        * a house suitable for a our family (with kids)

We ended up with 8 acres of woods, 7 acres of terraced farm land, and about 18 acres of flat farmland, and (our house).

If our area of Georgia we found 30 acres difficult to find and mortgage. Most plots were either over 50 acres or under 10. Very few farms were in the 30 range. When we did find it we found out that very few banks wanted to mortgage 30 acres of land. They had no problem with the house but they wanted a much larger down payment on the land.

We have been living here and running the event on this farm for 3 years now. No regrets! I really don't feel we are limited in any way. We have enough space to do anything that we can realistically afford to do in the future.

Comment

I will only say this the more the merrier... parking is your biggest issue. If you have 1 acre of land that gives you a bit less than 50,000 square feet for haunted house. We all know if you built a 40k building you'd have one of the biggest in the nation. So if you include outdoor trails and things hayride whatever you'd need how much more... 1 maybe 2 more acres. Seriously you don't need more than 3 unless you have really major plans. Now parking is a totally different ball of wax. So if it was me I'd love to have 8 to 12 and anything over that is a bonus.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Have 50... hills and trees on my ranch. Couldnt figure out parking that would get my wifes stamp of approval. Just went into closing on the neighbors farm.. just needed 10 acres of flat ground. Have to buy the whole 168 acres. Will be with 218 :O
            Parking parking parking ...D'oh!

Comment

I am well aware of how times and requirements for attractions have changed along the way but here's a thought that I believe is either unknown, forgotten about or overlooked. The original Spooky World, which was self proclaimed for being "America's Horror theme park" was situated on less than six (6) total acres in Berlin Ma.

Now granted from the best of my recollection, Spooky Dave was "renting" a few surrounding pieces of land to accommodate the needs for parking but when I arrived in 97 I was surprised to see how much had been compacted onto the attraction grounds, A big ticket booth with rows of stanchions, a large waiting area for hayride guests that was also made up of rows of stanchions, a small but workable stage to provide entertainment/entertainers for guests waiting in the hayride queue line.* Approximately a 10 minute hayride path which incorporated about a half a dozen or so, tractors pulling jam packed wagons every few minutes through a fairly flat, non-wooded back lot type of area. a large pole barn building to house the Horror museum. There was the "roofless" Cirque macabre haunt, along with a huge wooden barn, this barn was quite large, so it was divided into sections where one section was used to house a gift shop that was stuffed to the rafters with products and space for celebrity meetings, another section was used for the Savini haunted house, and underneath, on ground level was where the Phantom mine shaft was, there was also a guest VIP area along side the mine shaft haunt.

To the rear of this barn was an extension that was used for actors, makeup, costumes and a number of various purposes such as tools, storage and supplies. An open air eating spot called Dracula's diner took up some space, and this was set up near another large pole barn building that ultimately became the 3D disco, to the back side of this pole barn was the Hollywood Hell house. Out on the main plot of land was where a rather tightly packed, two sided row of food trailers, vendor tents, game booths and small acts were set up to form the Monster Midway. On top of all of this, there was also a two story red brick farm house that was used as the offices/Headquarters and security hub for the event.

Point to all of this is, that if you have a solid plan in mind and use your space wisely with a well thought layout such as was the case with the original Spooky World, you can pack a lot of attraction into a smaller space. Also, something I have learned over the years (and in a time or two, the hard way!) is that the larger the plot of land/space you have, the more difficult it gets to monitor, manage and secure!* Though in agreement with Larry, parking is a must and a key component that we all hope, there can never be too much of.* I hope this will add some enlightenment to your question. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost write 13 View Post
                Also, something I have learned over the years (and in a time or two, the hard way!) is that the larger the plot of land/space you have, the more difficult it gets to monitor, manage and secure!*
                I agree 100%. Our first year on this 30 acres I thought "Let's use it ALL!" BIG Mistake! The second year I quickly reduced the footprint of our trail. Along with security issues, you gotta have power for sound systems, lights, animatronics, etc. And stretching power over 30 acres in a rural area? Not fun! Maintaining 30 acres of falling branches... NOT FUN. The smaller the footprint the shorter distances to run the power and sound lines.

On the plus side, the extra space between elements allows me to present the haunt/show is a way a smaller indoor venue can't. Larger open spaces. Less crowded areas.

I've watched videos on Spookywoods but it's hard to visualize on a TV set. My mind explodes thinking its possible to host an event that big in only 6 acres. Definitely something to learn from that.

Comment

Sometimes less is more. Do what you can do RIGHT and do the rest later! That is my thought on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                  X