Generator power and battery back up emergency lighting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator power and battery back up emergency lighting question

Hello and thanks for any help in figuring this one out: The fire department is requiring our haunt to have emergency exit signs and lighting with battery back up. We are in a parking lot with no constant power available so we will be running off of a generator. What can we do at the end of the night once the generator is turned off and we don't want our emergency lighting batteries drained, and we don't want to go around to each fixture and disconnect the battery? My first thought was to run low voltage wire along with the primary wiring to each fixture and have one main battery for all of the fixtures but I don't know if that would fly with the fire department.
    Tom
    Screamgate.com

I'm guessing that your exit light fixtures normally run on AC, powered by the generator.

Once the AC is removed in a power failure, the DC battery provides backup power to the exit lights.

A dedicated battery for the exit fixtures won't provide the AC to keep the battery backup from kicking in.

The easiest thing to do may be to modify each emergency fixture with a switch that you can turn off each night to disconnect the battery backup so the battery won't drain. You'll have to bite the bullet and flip a switch on each fixture each night, but that shouldn't be too much of a chore.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Installing a switch is exactly how we have done it for 18 years! You sell it to the fire depth with,
      ...every business in town tests their light MAYBE once a year, you'll be testing yours EVERY NIGHT
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Thanks Abunai and Thanks Rich! toggle switches it is.
        Tom
        Screamgate.com

Comment

Working...
        X