Haunt partnership or going solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt partnership or going solo?

The last couple years I've been searching for a partner to take the journey of opening a commercial attraction. The last two people I've teamed up with for our home haunt didn't work out. Both were on board with opening the haunt, but when it came to actually putting funds together, they had no capital and wanted to be 50% partner in sweat equity.

My dilemma is, should I continue to search for another person willing to contribute half (capital) or do it alone. Can someone do it alone? Any guidance on this would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to give you the truth. You don't want to hear it. You won't like it. You won't accept it.

If you are asking this question you are NOT ready. It is so fucking hard to get one going from scratch and sustainable year after year that unless you are 100% certain about your path, and have pockets full of money, failure is guaranteed.

Just try to count the number of haunts that start with nothing (which excludes many family farm haunts) then make it to a self-sustaining fulltime job. There's probably only 1 per state. That's probably being optimistic.

Year 4 is in my rear view and I'm still not sure it's possible for me. It's sooooooooooooooo hard. So hard. Do not underestimate the ball kicking hardness of it. Because it will kick you in the balls repeatedly. And just when you are excited and think everything's going great - kicked in the balls again! So you better enjoy getting kicked in the balls. You better love it. Cause it's gonna happen a lot. A LOT!
    Last edited by mrfoos; 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

What market are you in?

Comment

where are you located

location where your wanting to go to.
        sigpic
        Boomtownscare.com
        Boomtownhouseofterror.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrfoos View Post
          I'm going to give you the truth. You don't want to hear it. You won't like it. You won't accept it.

If you are asking this question you are NOT ready. It is so fucking hard to get one going from scratch and sustainable year after year that unless you are 100% certain about your path, and have pockets full of money, failure is guaranteed.

Just try to count the number of haunts that start with nothing (which excludes many family farm haunts) then make it to a self-sustaining fulltime job. There's probably only 1 per state. That's probably being optimistic.

Year 4 is in my rear view and I'm still not sure it's possible for me. It's sooooooooooooooo hard. So hard. Do not underestimate the ball kicking hardness of it. Because it will kick you in the balls repeatedly. And just when you are excited and think everything's going great - kicked in the balls again! So you better enjoy getting kicked in the balls. You better love it. Cause it's gonna happen a lot. A LOT!
          Thanks for the input.

I've been kicked in the balls numerous times the last couple years lol. My wife and I have done a successful 5000 square foot home haunt for several years and when we started planning to take it commercial, I started teaming up with other home haunters who had the same vision. The problem with that is, at first people have high hopes and really good plans, but when we start talking funds, no one has money.

Also, this last year I was the only one working on the haunt because the guy I teamed up with had too much on his plate and would cancel on build days. I was dedicated to pull it off and built all of the sets. I was at it every day and of course, it was exhausting.

I have my capital funds set aside and wanted to find someone to match it and be as dedicated as I was. But Overall, I would prefer to have a partner that has a vested interest, but I believe I could do it alone if needed, but would be afraid of burning myself out fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomtown House Of Terror View Post
            location where your wanting to go to.
            Northern Utah

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwing View Post
              What market are you in?
              Utah

Comment

If you have enough funds to do it yourself, go it alone.

Nobody else cares about your goals as much as you.

Even if you start out on good terms with a partner, their interests could change dramatically and leave you in a lurch mid-stream.
                Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
                http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a partner none what so ever. However before deciding to join at the hip make sure you can work together. Discuss everything and see if it's a fit. Many partnerships end in very nasty divorces. Another way to go is simply keep the whole company and borrow money from investors. We borrowed money many times and paid back a very high interest rate after each season. That works as well. Good luck my friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X