Accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidents

Hello I'm new to these forums and it seems like a nice place so far from what I have read. I was wondering if you guys could help answer a question of mine. Well a couple buddies and I are deciding to open a new haunt this year and I was wondering if you warn your audience before they enter the haunt that your are not responsible for any injuries,accidents, or deaths is this enough to cover you 100% from all legal issues like being sued or would you have to sign some papers to insure this from being a problem?

Thanks for the help,
    Ryan

Do you think there would be any lawyers if things worked so simply?
    Not that simple things should not work, maybe the lawyers just won't allow them to ?
    It's called "job Security".
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Disclaimer signs offer some protection. Signed waivers a bit more (though generally impractical). The fact is, neither of these will protect you from a law suit. In many states it is easy to get around such waivers, and even if it is upheld, it won't sop you from being sued.

As I have said before many times, these issue really are worth spending $100 or so (perhaps less) and sitting down with a business attorney in your area and discussing these issues.

Dave
      Lords of Chaos, LLC
      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Signs and waivers...

The signs are a good idea. It will not protect you from a lawsuit but will at least give your patrons some kind of idea what to expect out of your show. I.e. startling situations, strobes, fog, etc. It will at least give you some support should you have someone sue.

The waiver, is worthless. In all 50 states it is illegal for a minor to enter into a legal binding contract (which a waiver is) and is a complete waste of time. Not to mention too hard to enforce. Even if you had their parents sign everyone without checking I.D's and having each one notorized how can you be sure they are signing their legal name? You'd be surprised how many 'prank' names you'd get. I wouldn't waste my time with it.

Gahaunter
        Lee D. Sanders

Comment

At the drag strip everyone adds their name to a list with a waiver at the top of the paper.
          Maybe all of this would be more effective if a video camera was recording their faces when they were signing?
          Of course sponsering a handwriting class for 15 minutes to get legible signatures could get time consuming and expensive if you had to hire a real teacher!
          There would be alot of people standing in the corner what with that Halloween attitude some customers bring with them.
          I am open every night of the year, I've said it before but the only time I see problem customers is during October!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
          X