$12 / $16 / $21 vs. $21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $12 / $16 / $21 vs. $21

I see a lot of attractions that have a complicated pricing structure. $12 gets you into the main haunt… for $16 you get the main haunt and a smaller maze… $21 for both haunts and the hayride. (this is just an example)

Why not just $21 gets you into the attraction filled with the Maze of Death, the Maze of Misery, and a haunted butt scratching goodtime on some bouncing hay. Three Attractions in ONE!

From a getting people out to your attraction standpoint, does it truly behoove you to use this complicated pricing structure. The haunts I have seen use the breakdown pricing only let you buy this upon entering. You can’t go through the main haunt to sample the attraction… then go back and purchase the second maze for $4 or the hayride for $9.

On one hand, I can see some value in telling customers with little cash that they can come have a good time for $12. But on the other hand, I usually perceive this as the owners saying “Our main attraction is good, but you may not want to go through the other two that we didn’t put a lot of time/money/energy into.” Which is what I’ve witness to be true.

Can anyone educate me on this theory or have any facts or figures to explain the multi-pricing strategy?
    "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"
    - Henry David Thoreau

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."
    - Mel Brooks

KegRoller,

this is my first time having more than one attraction and I took the route of one price for all. Splitting the haunt up is just too complicated and I do not have the time. For me, the K.I.S.S theory works best. (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)

Comment

I would tend to favor the one price system as well, but I can think of a few reasons for having the more complicated structure....

To make the big package seem a bargain ($8 per attraction or all three for $20. Buy the Spook Special and save $4!)

To allow for second trips through. Guests may want to experience their favorite a second time or bring friends just to go through their favorite.

To deal with reviews. If one haunt gets good reviews in the local media, but another of your attractions doesn't, guests could resent having to pay for the one that they didn't want to go to.

And lastly, to accomodate the dad that is brining the kids who are begging him, but doesn't want to spend the time/money to go to all the attractions.

I think that there are methods, other than a highly complicated price structure to deal with these issues, but it is a reasonable solution.

Dave
      Lords of Chaos, LLC
      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

It's the same reason a Taco Bell charges 40 cents for a sprinkling of tomato on the taco..to make more money.
        "Go into the main scary haunt and get your tomato sprinkled! Only $6.66 MORE!"

For some reason it has always seemed to me that those customers that get deals or discounts are always the ones doing the most whinning once inside the house?

"Are kids $12.00 too?"

"Yes they are but they should be MORE!"
        Show-ruiner, screaming scared little kids devalue the experience for the ticket-buying adults who are here NOT to hear someone else's kid crying and distracting from the show.
        A local bar was once owned by a couple who lived right upstairs with their 5 kids , they allowed their kids to be in the bar with their "He-said-she-said " issues , not the reason most people go out to drink, they leave their own kids at home to escape this sort of thing. The bar went under.
        I encourage people with small kids to show up on Sat. & Sun. afternoons.(But it is still $12. a person.)
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
          A local bar was once owned by a couple who lived right upstairs with their 5 kids , they allowed their kids to be in the bar with their "He-said-she-said " issues , not the reason most people go out to drink, they leave their own kids at home to escape this sort of thing.
          Man, oh MAN, ain't that the truth! I'm surrounded and consumed by children everyday. On the off chance I get the opportunity to getaway, I DON'T want to have to deal with someone else's child!

As far as children and our haunt is concerned -- We are having a Free 3 hour Saturday for kids ages 7-11 during the day. If parents aren't willing to pay for their child on haunt nights, they can bring them that Saturday for a milder lights-on tour with two of the three attractions open.

Comment

Working...
          X