Adhesive for Styrofoam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for Styrofoam?

What is the proper adhesive to be used when glueing both the beaded and non-beaded (extruded) styrofoam together. Any and all suggestions welcome, I'm sure there is more than 1 way.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes there is a special glue in the tubes that is specifically designed for foam, it even says "foamboard" on the label. Many adhesives actually eat away the foam. If it doesn't say for use with foam, just test it first.
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I don't like the foamboard adhesives from the home improvement stores. I have had a lot of trouble with them. The very best glue I have found for foam is Gorilla glue. You can cut it with water, in fact, it works better when wet. Use thin layers because it foams up some.
      Jim H
      Dark Raven Designs
      http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

Liquid Nails Foamboard adhesive works great! However, after time it will eat into the foam and lose its holding power. Gorilla Glue is a safe bet, it is the "superglue" of foam and we have started using it almost exclusively on our foam jobs.

Take care,

Tattoo
        Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

3M Spray Adhesive 78 made specifically for glueing foam to foam. Available at Grainger...

Comment

Foam to foam adhesion... or to anything else

I use Great Stuff... you know, that wonderful foam in a can for filling gaps in walls? Pick it up at Lowe's, Home depot, etc. As long as you apply enough pressure while your piece is setting, this is the ultimate solution... and because it's foam, you can carve it afterwards. I picked this little gem up from building props for Knott's Haunt for 5 seasons.
            Nathan P. Hamilton

Owner/Operator
            Haunted Nashville
            Turbidite Manor

Comment

Definitely go Gorilla - we've been doing a lot of large foam movie props and it bonds without eating away the foam. Just remember it foams after application, so slide the pieces around a little to break that down. Foam - the other white meat!!!

Comment

Thanks

thanks for all the replies, great hog head by the way deathmask, i did start using gorilla glue and it works great so far, i will post pics. of our new que line area and all the foam work when were farther under way.

Comment

Spray adhesives work great. Fast no mess! Liquid Nails even. But spray adhesive is the way to go when glueing foam!
                  Damon
                  Damon Carson

Comment

Guerilla Glue. This stuff is great! It works on almost anything you need to bond anything else to. Plus a little goes a long way.

Slobber
                    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Do NOT use Liquid Nails, even though it says it's for EPS foam!! I made a facade for my building 18 months ago and it has begun to fall off. Where there used to be glue there is a hole in the foam. I had given it a 2 week test to be safe, but how can you test something for a year or longer? One of our customers had the same thing happen with 3M Super 77 Glue. It took 2 years to eat the behind out of his outdoor sign. A glue manufacturer that we work with said that it is the solvents in the glue or paint, usually made to quicken the drying time, that are the culprits.
                      I had also made an EPS foam tombstone for shows. I had tested a spray paint. It was fine for the 18 months, but on the second year while packing it up I found that the paint had dissolved the foam in many places, leaving a thin layer of nothing but paint.
                      On the other hand I have had outdoor foam elements and signs hold up for many years with a good outdoor latex paint.
                      Two part epoxy (never resin!) is a great permanent glue. I also have a proprietary glue, plus a sticky foam coat formula that have absolutely no solvents.

Comment

Working...
                      X