Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a pallet maze, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a pallet maze, any suggestions?

We are building a pallet maze for our haunt this year, any helpful hints, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

we did one a few years back. we just put 2x4s across the backs vertically at the point where one pallet meets the next. the bad part is we foudn that the wood they are made of is super hard and the dry wall screws had a hard time going in.
    as an after though we added cheap cob webs and black light and it came out like this:
    Attached Files
    www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

Comment

Not all pallets are created equal!

Some pallets are made of hardwoods and are very heavy and difficult to work with.

Try to find pallets made of pine.

Your screw-gun (and back) will thank you.
      Last edited by haunter112; 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM.
      Guerilla Haunter

Comment

LOL. I wish I had known that when I got my pallets. Of course beggers cant be choosers. I got mine for free. and if I remember right I think my Makita drill gave out not long after that haunt build.
        www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

Comment

Pallets are a bad choice. If they are all you have goodluck. Hopefully your putting them up inside somekind of structure. Not to mention very flammable if these things get on fire they go up quick. A local want to be haunted house here sets up with pallet walls. For several years they put this shack of a haunt up out in this piss poor location of a field with a drive for a parking lot. The wind blew this thing over countless times. I guess the weight involved and them not being all that stable caused the walls to rock and shift and basically have a domino effect. This thing blew over twice in one year before they ever got the damn thing open. Imagine going through this wreck on a stormy windy night! Actors saying your gonna die in here. And you literally do! Pallets I say bad news in many cases.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Pre-drill slightly smaller holes before attempting to screwgun them together.
            I would not make any pallet wall higher than a total of two pallets.
            If the pallets are the other kind then you will need ALOT more of them to make one wall but it will gross people out, especially if the teeth are left in place.
            Better get to work real soon! Glue might work?
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

jim, as always, thanks for the words of inspiration

Comment

It's a lot more work, but I thought of taking them apart (at least partiallty as they are difficult to take apart) and rebuilding them. I am in the process of collecting about 200 pallets from a local factory. Sounds like the guys who put up a pallet maze that continuously collapsed had no idea what they were doing. Using the right pallets and securing them properly should hold up just as a free-standin haunt made of plywood.
                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

Well sure. You could drive steel fence posts into the ground, slip the pallets down over the posts, then cross-brace across the top . Sounds like an anti-earthquake design to me!
                  Sand bags put inside the pallets to make it more bullet-proof.
                  All palllets are NOT created equal! A local factory(since gone) had nice pallets from France, those were taken apart and they became all kinds of things.
                  Quite a few room additions and garages around here were built from World War Two ammunition boxes, $10.00 for a huge truckload, a price the ambitious 1950 Fathers couldn't pass up.
                  What is your time worth? It all takes time to do..........
                  Some will always have more money than time and vice-versa.......
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Sometimes I'll use pallets to create an aged effect. Ill build the room or hallway out of the pallets, then ill take some broken drywall and attach it. Then Ill take my hammer and just beat the hell out of the drywall.

this will give you that really old slapframe look. Take some black spray paint and lightly dust the holes you have made, and that gives it a little age.

Comment

Holes seem to usually increase in size with the years, nostrils flare , lips droop, so no dark spray paint needed on this old face, I already got it going on.
                      with pallets I always worried about a massive sliver suddenly sticking out and impaling someone.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We have about 12 pallet walls we use. But, never more than one in a row of walls. Mingling them amongst your plywood walls keeps things safe and secure. Two years ago, we lucked upon some great 2x8 pallets all ready to go as walls.
                        Since we are inside this season and dealing with a different fire marshall, I'm hoping she will pass the use of our dozen pallet walls since they are sprayed heavily with fire retardant.

Comment

Ya these jokers with an entire haunt made out of pallets. One I believe werent using all pine pallets. Two they were using some of the heaviest oldest stuff you could get. And not to mention this thing was outside with a black plastic roof over it. LOL! Anyway I have used pallets in a small area before for like a black maze and it worked. Its just I wouldnt use them for anything but that. And maybe for a part you want to run cool lighting and fog through. And maybe make it look old and aged. Plus soak them in fire retardant. Now dont get me started on osb board. I call it SOB board. Ha!
                          Damon
                          Damon Carson

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
                            Now dont get me started on osb board. I call it SOB board. Ha!
                            Damon
                            Actually, if it wasn't for taking over the thread and changing the direction of it, I'd ask you to get started on OSB. There's nothing wrong with utilizing OSB whatsoever. In fact, most of our walls have been created by OSB and they are great.

Comment

i agree with empress,

for those of us who are non-profit, osb is the cheapest and most sturdy way to make walls. it just needs to be protected from the elements, otherwise it will get ruined, but other from that OSB is great and inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X