• Klown Makeup

I working every Friday and Saturday this
    October as a guide.

My character is Capt. Spaulding.

I'm getting ready to order makeup and want
    to know roughly how many oz of wihite should I
    get?
    Virgil: Master Of The Ethermuse

Hmmm, if it's just 2 days a weekend and you're planning on covering the majority of your face in white...

If you use a creme based makeup in pots...probably 3 to 4oz (2 good-sized pots or so) worth should work. If it's the creme in tubes, from say, Wally World or your local drug store, 3 of 4 tubes might take you through.

Edit: Of course, it all depends on the thickness you desire. Just remember, blend well, my friend.
    www.mindseizure.com
    www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Companies like Ben Nye and Mehron make clown makeup. The base colors usually are available in larger sizes than you can get some of the other creme makeup's in. I'd go for 4oz or more just to have it. But since I do makeup I over buy and just put it in one of the kits. I'm not sure why but the clown base colors just seem to be more clown specific than a typical white creme. Its also built to go on thick and last under working conditions. Some of the other creme makeups don't look as good thick. So if you are going clown get the clown makeup.

Mehron also has instructional stuff on their site. Nothing amazing but I find they are nice to give links to our incoming makeup people. http://www.mehron.com/clowning/instructional_index.cfm It's just kind of a good starter set of instructions....

One other thing on the clown makeup. I find that if you powder it heavily it looks better. A friend of mine that went to a clown school made a point to me to powder the makeup heavily with the sock gig. I think it helped the look quite a bit. Though in my case the clowns for our haunt are circa 1900 so I like that BT Barnum classic clown look, with a BIG hint of EVIL. :twisted:
      http://www.innerfears.com/
      http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Thanks so much for the insight!!

I normally just climb in the chair and let the
        makeup folks do the work but this
        year I want to do my own....
        I think I need that experience...
        Virgil: Master Of The Ethermuse

Comment

Mehron sells a basic clown starter set which contains all the colors I think you'll need for about $12. Unless you are caking it on, the set should get you through the season. As I recall, Capt. S. is an Auguste clown and not a whiteface. I could be wrong.

Comment

Did you know you can trademark your clown face make up design. There are actual clowns out there that have trademarked their clown face, so no one can use it....wierd huh. Being a clown is so fun!
            my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

Comment

Originally posted by John Coen
              Mehron sells a basic clown starter set which contains all the colors I think you'll need for about $12. Unless you are caking it on, the set should get you through the season. As I recall, Capt. S. is an Auguste clown and not a whiteface. I could be wrong.
              EDIT: Spaulding is technically not an Auguste. I believe that he would be better classified as a comic whiteface.

His colors are light blue, black, white, and just a dab of red on each cheek. Also, his makeup is very light.

If you are unfamiliar with clown makeup Virgil, it works differently than standard makeup. For Spaulding, I would try:

1. Apply your clown white. Go very thin and spread it with your fingertips. Allow some of your skin tones to bleed through. Do not pat to smooth it as you normally would. Do NOT powder it yet.

2. Using a q-tip, washcloth, etc, wipe the white away from every area that you do not wish covered. Don't worry about Spauldings thin black lines, but get the bigger areas. Leave the white on the cheeks where you are going to do the red. Be neet here and take your time.

3. Now Powder the white. Use plenty. More than that.

4. Apply the blue over the eyes and the red on the cheeks. For the red, try using some blush and just dust it. Powder again. If you screw up and get a little color in the wrong place, don't sweat it, Spaulding was not all that neet.

5. Now apply the black around the eyes and lips. Again, be THIN here and allow the natural skin tone to bled through, particularly around the lips. Now powder the crap out of everything.

6. Using a damp paper towel, lightly pat the makeup to bring it back.

The removal:

Using baby oil / mineral oil, squirt some on your hands and then rub your face. The makeup will turn gray. Rub everywhere until your have a gray sludge. Using a rag or old towel, wipe it off. You can launder the towel and it will usually all come off. Repeat this if you need to. Wash your face to remove the oily sheen.

You should be able to get by with a 4oz Mehron white and the smallest quantity of colors you can find.
              "To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Smacky spoken like an expert!! Are you are a graduate of clown school?

Comment

Working...
                X