No announcement yet.

How much $$$ do you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im sure some will disagree with this thread, but if you don't love Halloween, don't own a haunt. Although it is possible to turn a profit, and in time build upon that profit and make a rather substantial income from operating a haunt. Without a love for the season/scaring people you are doomed to fail. If you are doing it only for the money, it will show throughout your haunt.
    I have seen many people stand on the sidelines and look at a successful haunt during October and let their imagination go wild with delusions of grandeur, "man they are raking in all this cash, i can do it too" The truth is, most successful haunts are their owners passion, their blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice have been poured into them to make them what they are. Without their determination and drive for doing what they loved doing they never would get to where they are today.
    I'm sure if you asked most successful haunt owners how much they made in the first 5 years, if they were to calculate the amount of time they have committed to their dream, I would imagine it is somewhere in the amount of .57 cents an hour. Hardly a easy million.

Make no mistake It is a Business, but no where does the phrase "You should love what you do" apply more.
    Peter Chichester
    Maximum Terror Haunted Adventures
    www.maximumterror.com

Comment

Well said Maximumterror!

Slobber
      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

1 Meeeelllion dollars!

It's very unlikely to make that much, unless you are a theme park. I know that places lke Knott's (I used to work there) easily make more in one month of Haunt than their combined gross for the rest of the year (gee, wonder why Cedar Fair was interested in buying?) The most I've ever heard an independent haunt grossing was in the neighborhood of 500K, no more. I'd say 'Howie Slobber Erlich' is pretty acurate on his numbers... I do know personally of some haunts that make annual profit around $120K (but they don't pay their people very well, if at all, and bend (er, break) all kinds of laws which saves them capital). It seems apparent that a lot of money is made on dishonest ticket tactics (like VIP lines that make you wait as long as general admission, but you pay a good $10 more), merchandising, parking lot fees, etc. Sorry, don't mean to rant...
        Nathan P. Hamilton

Owner/Operator
        Haunted Nashville
        Turbidite Manor

Comment

Do we really need a million dollars?
          How about enough money to eat well, pay your other bills?
          Who changes their haunt out every year? This sounds needless to me. Just keep adding stuff to those empty nooks and crannies making the tour experience more valuable and something people will talk about and want to see again (because they couldn't see it all the first time?)
          Along the way keep your original haunt name and stay located in the same place or at least close to your first location, then you can cut way back on unnecesarry advertising expense! = increased pocket money for you!
          If you do these things always watching the expenses you may even be able to keep admission prices below $50,000 a person ("No hocus, no pocus, no deals no 2 for ones, no coupons, special nights, just give me your $50,000 please!")
          "Sorry I lied alittle Mam, there is a small upcharge of $100.oo to lay in our mink-lined coffins."
          "Those little animals had to die to make a lining for the coffins?"
          "Of course not, who said they were dead? (Makes it more "interesting!")
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

How much money does it make?

You'll just have to wait for my new book to come out. The working title is Tax Deferal Through Intentional Poverty. The story of how our main company spends thousands yearly just to prove that guy wrong that says if you don't make money you can't play next year. Screw him. Just go make more money.

Think of it more as people spend big money on a bass boat, a bunch of gizmos and a new truck to pull all that stuff to catch a $3 fish.

Or people buy a fancy motorcycle, a leather fashion gear so they can go stand out in the sun all day with lke minded people.

Or people that go on cruise vacations every year.

Or people that have a swimming pool.

Or so many other things.

You have a haunt because it is fun first and foremost there is some kind of satisfaction in doing. If it makes money you have more fun and or have more toys. If it loses money it is no worse than spending all the money it took to be drinking the water in Venezuala.

If you can call the pizza guy every once in a while you have it going on.

I don't want to go fishing, I am not wearing chaps...I'm sorry, I'm not going to get sea sick and I hate swimming pools.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
            X