Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In terms of Legality, What are some things Haunts can't do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In terms of Legality, What are some things Haunts can't do?

Are there things haunts aren't aloud to do? I guess if it sounds dangerous iit's probably not good for a haunt, huh?

Like moving floors, rising floors, moving walls, etc...

~TheNightMare

Originally posted by TheNightMare View Post
    Are there things haunts aren't aloud to do? I guess if it sounds dangerous iit's probably not good for a haunt, huh?

Like moving floors, rising floors, moving walls, etc...

~TheNightMare
    There are haunts that have moving floors and walls and there's nothing wrong with that -- as long as all safety precautions are taken.

Myself? I'm too too cautious -- always afraid of the "What if." But, I honestly feel I cannot have the kind of haunt I want unless I push myself beyond that cautious point. So....
    This year, I'm having a chain link gate slam down on top of their heads. Well, not exactly on their heads, but you know what I mean.

Comment

Beyond fire codes, I don't know that it is so much about legalities as it is what will your insurance company allow you to do and still cover you.

Comment

Technically you cannot have movie characters in your haut without an agreement from the studio that put out the movie. But most haunts get around this by just saying things like hockey mask killer instead of jason.

Comment

Hmmm let me think on this one. With dealing with insurance company's in the past they always ask these questions.
          Will there be any of the following?
          Hangman or hangmans noose.
          Suspension bridges
          Unlevel floors
          Animals
          those are just a few.
          I know there are more but cant think of them right off hand.
          Basically they are worried by these things for the patrons safety.
          I have seen haunts with all the above. Im not sure but I imagine they pay more liability for having such things in there haunt. The hangmans noose is a big no no mainly because of actors or kids working in the haunt putting themselves in it and then hanging themselves. But you could use a harness and a rubber noose that isnt really attached to anything but maybe a strip of velcro. But those are some of the things I can think of right now Im sure there are more.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Our insurance company refuses to insure any haunt which includes a chain-saw. And yes, that's without a chain - go figure.

Comment

tot13: www.spookyprops.com is your best bet for that problem. Looks and sounds like a real one but it is not.
              The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the link. That is really expensive for just one prop.

Comment

A different kind of legality

Be careful what you do with children and females. You don't want any of your actors arrested for allegedly molesting anyone by grabbing them in the wrong spot.

Comment

Surveilence cameras throughout the haunt and the threat of such will keep people behaving much beter and will also make theft and threatened lawsuits diminished greatly.
                    Sad the world has come to this...but it does "work".
                    I recently corrected a little boy who said,"This is the part of the house where they run their hands up and down all over your body!"
                    "No it isn't! If someone did that to you the last time that you were here and they were working for me in the house, they would be fired and asked to leave immeadiately."
                    People's imaginations can get carried away, afterall this is what we are all trying to do, interact with their imaginations.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey Jim I had hands put all over me in that same room! Somethings really fishy here! Hmmm maybe it was four paws!!!
                      Damon
                      Damon Carson

Comment

"four paws" might be a fore runner to fore play?
                        No catnip in your pocket, no action for you!
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim's right. Closed circuit serveillance systems are a must for professional haunted attractions. We have over 30 cameras located throughout the Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride complex, including views from the ticket booth, concessions, waiting lines and driveways. Indoor cameras have infrared illumination and give quality pictures even in pitch darkness. The important thing to remember is that video surveillance is only as good as your archive system. If you use a time lapse VCR, you need to keep back up tapes for each night of your season. Thats a pain in the butt and easy to overlook. The best system is a high capacity DVR. They are available from several hundred gigs to a teribite of space. A 1000 gig harddrive can hold video from 16 cameras, 24/7, for over 45 days It also has remote viewing capability, and onboard DVD burner, and advanced search modes. If you want to view a specific camera at a specific date and time, you just punch in the info and go directly to the video. The best part is that even while you are watching live feeds, or recorded video, this system is still recording all cameras at the same time. When you catch someone busting up the place, you detain them, and burn a copy of their actions, and hand the culprit and DVD over to the police. Another plus is entertainment value. First, post a sign stating that "you will be under video surveillance at all times, and anyone caught damaging props or striking actors will be prosocuted." Then, place a monitor with a live feed from the attraction, showing a good scare (but not giving the location away). This reinforces the fact that there are cameras onsite, and entertains the people waiting in line.
                          Randy Bates
                          The Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride
                          www.thebatesmotel.com

Comment

I agree with everything Randy mentioned in his last post. Especially if you have a large haunted house in a major city with a large amount of people everynight. I imagine Edge of Hell in Kansas City could have settled there problem this past year if they had cameras everywhere. They may have been able to stop any false allegations that very night! Its just too easy for someone to claim oh I was grabbed or pulled away from my group ect ect. In this day and age unfortunately anybody can say just about anything and the police will believe it. Espesscially if it s a women making the accusations.
                            Damon
                            Damon Carson

Comment

But Damon wasn't the" Edge Of Hell" incident alleged to have taken place in a rest room?
                              Admitting to having cameras surveiling people in a bathroom might get more trouble than anything else!
                              Sort of like the couple celebrating their first anniversity who saw themselves in their Hotel Honeymoon bed on a big screen TV while in Vegas! They were the stars of this show! The Hotel owner back home lost everything in court according to the newspaper reports...but then you can't believe everything that you read in the papers..........the Hotel owner said it was his manager hiding the camera in their room......
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X