Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clown Scene?

CLOWN SCENE?

Hello all. This year we have decided that we want a clown scene… I am opening the thread for ideas, previous experiences, or what you’ve done in the past with a clown.. I’d like to have more than one clown in the room.. Maybe 3, a little girl, etc… Please give me some ideas on what to do, lighting, anything for a good scare!
    Chamber of Chills
    2 Story Haunted House

We do any outdoor trail for our haunt, so this particular one may not work for you. We had a large clearing off the trail to work with. My wife made half of a big top tent using material from the Goodwill store and I made a frame from pvc. Added Christmas lights and circus music, which could be heard by our patrons before they got to the station. Our stations were skit-driven and when the evil clowns came out we switched to strobe lights and heavier darker music. The crowd was separated from the scene by a "waiting line" rope. At the end of the skit, the clowns would come out into the crowd to move them down the trail.

The clowns were one of our more effective stations last year. This year, we are incorporating a panel maze into our trail and will populate it with the evil clowns. We intend to position the clowns in the dead-ends of the maze, as well as have some "reach-throughs" in some of the walls.

I encourage you to find some way to work the clowns into your haunt. You'll be amazed at just how very many people have a phobia of clowns.

Comment

That’s awesome!!!!! I love it. I am for sure putting clowns in my haunt this year. I’m sure any way I utilize them will be affected! Thanks Tot13.... Need more Ideas folks????
      Chamber of Chills
      2 Story Haunted House

Comment

A good piece of music to coincide with your clown exhibit is from the CD "Music for Zombies" and the song is "Carnival of Souls." You can download it from I-Tunes and then mess around with the tempo. As people walk up to the exhibit, make sure one of your actors can do a good clown 'cackle' or 'demented laugh' which they'll hear prior to entering. If you have access to a school bus, load up the bus with dummy clowns and put just a few 'live' ones. This always terrifies the kiddies, add some strobes, and the music, and it'll be a hit!

Cheers,

Comment

A couple years ago we did one for the final scene/scare. I had a real looking manequin dresed as a clown, with the "pickles" clown mask sitting in a chair, in front of a large mirror (in think he had a knife in his hand), flashy christmas lights around the mirror. We lit the room mainly wth red, played circus music. Everyone thought the clown was going to scare them. Then, when the time was right, the actor came out from behind them in a clown costume, a clown squeeker, and we made a spark fence, except it wasn't a fence, on the wall so as he ran at the guests, sparks would fly. That was the pro haunt.

Last year in my home haunt, I painted a room to look like an entrance to a circus that an evil clown tookover, I made a drop panel, painted like the side of a tent (or maybe it had a clown head on it? i forget), and put "pickles" under it.
          Slash
          "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Weather proofing

As time nears to setup my outdoor yard haunt, and since I am in Texas and we might all float away this year, I am concerned about my props getting damaged by the rain. Any ideas or suggestions on protecting my stuff.
            Greg Salyers
            Fear Entertainment

Comment

Prayer and preparation.
              Secure like you would other personal belongings.I am in the Panhandle and I feel your pain We do a charity haunt outdoor and Ivan sucked everything we had stored out to sea It has been 4 years and this will be our first year back
              Good Luck Linda

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                A couple years ago we did one for the final scene/scare. I had a real looking manequin dresed as a clown, with the "pickles" clown mask sitting in a chair, in front of a large mirror (in think he had a knife in his hand), flashy christmas lights around the mirror. We lit the room mainly wth red, played circus music.
                We have a new "Mr. Pickles" masks for this year. But, I didn't want it on a live person. It's too hot and cumbersome. But, putting it on a dummy is just the ticket. I also got a very large mirror from dumpster diving a few weeks back. I like the setup with the dummy/mirror/xmas lights and may "borrow" the idea of it without the same scare. Thanks.

Comment

we always use black lights and black light paint for our clown area. Just gives it a fun morbid carnival feel. You can even get some cheap 3d glasses for the black light paint for morris or a few other suppliers.

sean

(dont forget the carnival style sinister scents. You can get some cotton candy, popcorn or what not to improve the circus atmosphere. Also Virgal has an awesome Killer klown CD)
                  Sean De Wane
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  The De Wane Asylum
                  www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Two years ago we were doing a house scenario where the guests got to see the playroom of where the families child used to play with her toys. We had the room set up with dolls in a doll house (if you looked in the window of the doll house you saw bloody toys), then there were some stuffed animals, and other things that little girls play with. But her most favorite toy was a jack in the box (which I got off E-Bay for under ten bucks, and it worked). The guide would turn the crank on the box, and when it popped open, we had a large box decorated as a table (3 foot square), which had an actor pop out the top right beside the patrons. This scared the living bejesus out of them and forced them to the next scene.
                    Steven
                    Rolling Thunder Productions

A Tisket A Tasket, They Put Me In This Casket!!

Comment

The final year of my haunt (Terror on the Square) I had a clown room that was very effective. First I had several Death Studio prop clown heads from Killer Clowns from Outerspace that I had built body's for out of PVC pipe. They stood about 7 feet tall, static props but the kept your attention. The room was painted and illuminated in blacklight. I was lucky that the lead actress's dad worked in the carnival business so I had several other props to add some authenticity to the scene. Now the scare came in where I the Ex Mortis Clown Weird Walker lying in a hump among other debris.

The puppeteer was dressed completely in black from head to toe and was positioned as the where a black wall would always be behind him from the viewers perspective. With the intensity of the black light paint causing the eyes to focus there the actor in black against a black wall made him virtually invisible (of course the fact that the actor was about 4"10" helped the effect tremendously.
                      When the patrons would enter the room they would focus on the big clowns until the actor would take note of when someone from the group looked at the pile on the floor at which point he would make the weird walker spring straight up and start going for the group...the room cleared fast!
                      The poor little guy took a beating though (the Weird Walker not the actor) The best I remember was when a nice little old grandmother who was taking her grandson through started cussing like a sailor and beating the little clown with her umbrella when he started walking towards them! The little clown head still has the battle scar.

Ahhh the good old days!
                      Last edited by Jeff Preston; 09-01-2007, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Jeff,
                        That is a beautiful story.
                        And a great set up.
                        I love using puppets in haunts.
                        But that is another thread

We have used clowns like they were going out of style.

One outside set used large murals of clowns playing instruments overtop the walls. A good hiding spot at the exit of the room and the front half of a beatup old volkswagen. the actor runs into the scene and jumps onto the car. He is jumping up and down while another actor begins honking a car horn.
                        It has a nice startle with the horn and some good entertainment with the crazy clown.

Another scene involved two slides within a scene that the patrons walk between. It sets an expectation from the patron and then you pop out from under the slide and then another actor slides down the slide pushing the group out of the scene. It is a functional distraction, and doesn't slow groups down. However the actors get tired repeatedly climbing and sliding down a slide. It helps if they switch off regularly.

And good carnival music helps.
                        There are several on the market
                        Last edited by Gore Galore; 09-01-2007, 11:14 PM.
                        Kevin R. Alvey
                        info at gore-galore.com
                        www.gore-galore.com
                        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Clown Scene

Terror on 12 Castle Dread, houses a monster wax museum. This year we built a large jack-in-the-box, (3' x 3') and installed the Evil Clown Doll. We included a handle on the box turning it continuously with a small electric motor, and a pnuematic cylinder that pops the clown up out of the box when activated by the actor (in a clown suit) standing next to it. So far we have even starteled the staff with it.

Good luck

Dracshouse

Comment

Puppet Girl and Clown

Here's one from the sketch book that we never tried - if anyone tries it, let us know how it worked for ya!

Guests enter semi-dark kids room, little girl actor is playing with her puppets on a fake kiddie stage. Little play stage is illuminated so it's the center of attention, but guests can easily see the girl. Girl says in innocent voice: "Oh, you're just in time for the show!" and begins her sweet little show. Guests watch the show. After 7-10 seconds the show 'puppets' (or marionettes) "break their character" and look behind the guests and the little girl looks up too, and says "Uh Oh..." or "Not again!" and a large clown jumps out behind the guests with a cleaver, etc (from a closet or pile of dolls or whatever).

We've done the clown in a pile of dolls thing - with stuffed animals pinned all over the clown - and that was a very effective scare. This "Puppets Girl and Clown" gag was to be the follow on for another year, but we changed themes entirely so we never did it.

Good luck!
                            ----
                            Your Pain, My Thrill...
                            Steve
                            Haunted Mines - Colorado Springs
                            http://HauntedMines.org

Comment

Great ways to scare!

some things that i have done in the past are:

The Dot Room!! (this is one of my favorites! you have the walls painted black, and floors also black, then you add multi coloured Fluresent polk-a-dots to the wall, next you get some black lights and attach them to the roof, and last you have an actor in all black ((eg. black pants, black shirt, black gloves and shoes, and black fabric mask)) and you cover that costume polk-a-dots!!) you then get the actor to stand against the wall and jump out screaming when people come by!!

The Jack in the BOX: make a really really big box from wood, with a hinged lid, paint it like a jack in the box, and have an actor in it dressed in the scariest clown costume you can find!!
                              When the customers come in the room it will be lit in bright colours, after about 50 seconds the lights go pitch black and strobes come on from inside the jack in the box (positioned in front of the actor) and evil clown music plays, and of course the clown jumps up, trying to grab the visitors!!

Hope those help!

FREAK SHOW
                              CALVIN COX
                              DARK LEGENDS CORPSE
                              Providing Quality Props and Gore to Ontario Canada for 10 years!

Comment

Working...
                              X