A Grinding Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Grinding Scene

Last night I was in my haunt doing some things and I saw a nail/screw sticking out of the wall .. A couple of them actually. I then went and got a grinder and started to grind the tips off... As all of you know, this sends off major sparks!!!! At this point I scratched my head and said to myself.... "dang, this would be a good scene" especially in a real dark room where no lights are used. When the group comes by, the sparks fly.... MY QUESTION >>>>>>>>>> To you guys are.... Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, how was the scene done, and what cautions were taking?
    Chamber of Chills
    2 Story Haunted House

I did something like this a few yaers ago. Right before they exited the haunt I built a latform over head. I cut a square hole in it apox. 2' x 2'. I placed a piece of steel grating over the hole. Then attached a piece of plexiglass under. As soon as the customers got directly below we rand the grinder over the grating. They hit the floor every time!

You could do the same things from behind a wall that they walk next too.

Hope that helped,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Man, that defiantly gave me something to work with .... Thanks allot!
      Chamber of Chills
      2 Story Haunted House

Comment

Hey. I looked at your website Deadly Intentions and you have a scene wit allot of blood and gore... My question is what did you use for the blood and stuff that did not stain the hands, etc?
        Chamber of Chills
        2 Story Haunted House

Comment

We did something similar, except that we had our actor behind a plexi window grinding and thowing sparks towards it. Use rebar, it sparks more than anything else I have used.
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Haunutmaster,

We use real pigs blood! Just kidding. Usually Steins stage blood. It stains. Almost anything stains. You just have to find an actor that doesn't care if they turn a pretty shade of pink in October.

Slobber
            1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

sparker cage, battery charger, metal , tape, more metal, maybe some decent wire,this one actor even rigged his saw to throw sparks
              Last edited by nocshroud; 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM.
              when god created light the first shadow was born

Comment

These are all good and I appreciate all the threads! Erlich, thanks for the details on blood... :-)
                Chamber of Chills
                2 Story Haunted House

Comment

Making sparks.

The safest way to make sparks is to take some welders flint, pieces that would be used for a torch stricker and put them on a drill. About 3 of them on a sanding disc, then you have sparks that require very little energy to create but lots of sparks that are not terribly flamable and do not give off a little spent piece of metal that could be an eyeball hazard.

Certainly add noise from what ever loud machine you want but the actual produced effect is safe.
                  sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Keep all of your spark making devices at the opposite end of the building from the napalm exhibit.
                    With all the lights on, in my spooky kitchen I say that this little Dixie cup has a slight electrical charge as I hand to the customer volunteer, I make a Buzz sound with my mouth and lips(versus the seat of my underware) and people jump and flinch!
                    Maybe you guys are working too hard to scare people?
                    A little pesuasive talking and a small dose of hypnosis goes a long way to accomplish much more (because I actually have invaded their minds!)
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim

Youv'e been invading all our minds for years!
                      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

That sounds like transcranial ventriloquism. Throwing your mind? Splat, sorry folks shows over, nothing to see here move along.
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
                        X