Hangman's Gag - How effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangman's Gag - How effective?

We're considering building the classic "Hangman's Gag" for our haunt this year, in an outdoor area. This is the one where the front of the gallows drops open and your monster(s) pour out.

Has anyone done this? How effective has it been? How cramped and cricked do your actors get from being stuffed under there night after night (ie, by the last week are you bribing them with Carribean vacations to get 'em to stay under there?)
    ----
    Your Pain, My Thrill...
    Steve
    Haunted Mines - Colorado Springs
    http://HauntedMines.org

Build your gallows high enough so they won't be cramped, real gallows weren't stubby little things, they needed some altitude to make sure the neck snapped and someone didn't have to finish the job using a more hands-on means.
    Look up the pictures of the gallows used on the John Wilkes Booth conspiritors, they were high. (It also gave the audience a better view!)
    Any misdirection scare has alot of potential, especially if some time is taken to assure the audience's focus is where you want it .
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Gallows

And be sure if you are mis-directing the audience to use a dummy body from the noose, don't be stupid and think that you have the ability to rig a harness or similiar rig. Leave this to the pros, I think the industry lost an actor only a few years due to a gag like this.

It is and effective trick though, we like to drop the floor an inch or so that the audience is on if you can afford it!

Matt
      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Starting construction this weekend...

Thanx Guys, I'm glad to hear that it's effective. We'll raise it up a few more feet, when we start building it this weekend. Can't do the floor drop this year (time.. time... I need more time!) but that's a great idea!
        ----
        Your Pain, My Thrill...
        Steve
        Haunted Mines - Colorado Springs
        http://HauntedMines.org

Comment

Working...
        X