Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet look? Any Tips?

Hola again!

Got a quick question about making something look wet. I'm making an alien/industrial nightmare-ish type of costume (black flightsuit, lots of armour, wires, hoses, tenticles, etc.) and the head-piece is an old gas mask. On the 'mouth area of the mask, I attached a bunch of 'tenticles' that I made with mop head strands and liquid latex. I made them look dirty with flat black spraypaint, but I want them to look like they're all slimy and wet. Thought about just slathering them with petroleum jelly and actually making them al gooey and gross, but I'd rather just simulate that look if i can.

Anyone have any ideas? Ever tried this before?
    To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

I use Gloss Medium. Its a flexible acrylic polymer varnish. http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/18b/

It was used on this prop to give the mouth a wet look.

Kevin
    MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Don't use petroleum jelly. It will rot the latex. The gloss medium is good. Five minute epoxy also works good, especially if you want drippy looking areas. Real slime is better simulated by using KY (That's what they used in Alien) jelly.

Comment

hmm

Clear silicone caulk should work the same too!
        Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Hadn't thought about KY. That's a great idea though. Much less flamable too, I'd guess. Safety first!
          To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

For some reason I think Jim is gonna post something in remarks to petroleum jelly with something that happened at the Ravens Grin Inn! Jim you better not even mention me and that couch story! LOL! I may have seen orbs but I swear that is all that happened that night!!!
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

Wet Look

We used to use Duco Cement, a glue, don't know if its still available, used it under the eyes of gorilla mask. Try it on a out of site part of a mask.

KroneDaddy
              Hauntus Emeritus
              Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
              Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

I was just smearing GOOP glue on the hood of the Spookmobile today to coat and seal the vynl already glued there which has begun to peel and crack.
                It was a really neat looking vynl, light green with scales on it.
                Goop makes it shiney and tough..so far.
                I put GOOP on the hood a few months ago and it has been working well.
                Goop mixed with Vaseline is not a sexual aide, well probably not anyway.
                (although the perminent stiffy might eliminate the need for a headstone!)
                "Mommy I thought mushrooms only grew in shady places."
                "Those aren't mushrooms."
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I like to use the gloss medium, as well.

However, when I was young and retouching masks, I used clear nail polish - the cheap kind. It never cracked or split or peeled...but I suppose that would depend on if the part you are using it on is functional/moving. I still have a few of those masks and haven't noticed any deterioration to them...they were retouched maybe 20 years ago - and they're still shiny.

I'm thinking for what you're working on, that the gloss medium would be much easier, though.
                  www.mindseizure.com
                  www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Working...
                  X