Haunts under tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunts under tents

Hey guy's I am back at home now. NO MORE TRIPS TO THE LIBRARY! YEA FOR ME!!!LOL

Anyway, I was wondering about this topic. I know that depending on size you will be required to have a sprinkler system, but what if there is not electric power to the haunt it's self? Are the still required?

I have been looking at sites to rent a tent. I think for my first time open this is what I am going to have to do.

What else can you tell me?

Brian

Brian,
    Here in Ohio if your haunt is not an existing structure, and it is over 1000 square feet, it needs to have a sprinkler system. Electric does not come into play with that section of the code. You can have multiple 1k tents with adequate separation and get around this.
    Barry

Comment

Ask your fire marshal, you never know what he will allow you to get away with. Putting a sprinkler system in a tent seems a bit like overkill.

Comment

Ask your local Fire Department but as far as i am conserned all structures that are going to be used as a comercial structor with a capacity over 20 people should be sprinkulared because u cant keep a guest from wipping out their fav zippo and lighting a room on fire. All a sprinkualar system does is contains the fire to a point and hopefuly put it out. So Research your Fire Codes
        5 years in the business and still ticking
        Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
        USSN

Comment

Originally posted by Jast223 View Post
          Ask your local Fire Department but as far as i am conserned all structures that are going to be used as a comercial structor with a capacity over 20 people should be sprinkulared because u cant keep a guest from wipping out their fav zippo and lighting a room on fire. All a sprinkualar system does is contains the fire to a point and hopefuly put it out. So Research your Fire Codes
          The question is, wouldn't the heat from a fire blow out the canvas at the peak(dumping the smoke and heat) before it ever tripped a sprinkler head -- which would obviously be much lower in most tents. I suspect that sprinklers in tents has more to do with shutting haunted attractions down then it does with safety.

Comment

Definitely check with your Fire Marshall. The first year we were in tents, they had to each be under 1000 square feet with a certain amount of square footage between each tent. However, we were allowed to "connect" the tents with hallways...but each side and each end had to have 4 foot access corridors, therefore, these "hallways" had to be anchored into the ground. It was hard to keep everything dry when it snowed, and it was a major pain when it was windy!

We moved into a large (5000 sq. ft.) black-out tent the following year. This took some doing, however. The owners had to go before the fire board to get a variance for sprinkler systems. I'm not exactly sure what they had to present, but they took tons of paperwork and items with them. The board was initially hesitant, but due to the safety measures taken in the past (phenomenal track record) and the owners always complying 100% with any requests the FM made, it was granted to them. But, each year they had to go back before the board to get a new variance. Certain special safety measures had to be made each year to comply.

All in all, being in a tent isn't awful - but, you do have to contend with weather, a completely different set of security measures, where your electrical is coming from (arrangements were made with the property owner we rented from), how long you have to build and teardown, etc.
            www.mindseizure.com
            www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

"Ask your fire marshal, you never know what he will allow you to get away with. "

No, the people that "get way with" haunts that are not up to code are those that never even talk to a FM. A FM will tell you what the law requires though.

"Putting a sprinkler system in a tent seems a bit like overkill."

It may seem that way but here in Ohio it is the law. This law covers any temporary "special amusement" structure including tents.

"So Research your Fire Codes"

That is the best thing anyone can do. Know your codes before ever talking to a FM. That way you know what you need to do and if the FM says you need something else, you can debate that from a position of knowledge.

"I suspect that sprinklers in tents has more to do with shutting haunted attractions down then it does with safety."

Nope, it has more to do with the standard boilerplate codes that many states are now enforcing.

Comment

Professional tent man

For the most part, the information you provide the fire marshall is the key. If you prepare a package with the tent's flame certificates, maze diagram, fire extinguisher, emergency lights and emergency exit locations, along with a copy of the labels of the fire proofing products used, in a confident and professional manner when applying for your permit, you stand the best chance of not needing a second meeting. You need to show the fire marshall that you are concerned about his major concern--- Covering his ass if something bad happens.
                George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

Working...
                X