cutting acrylic for a haunted mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting acrylic for a haunted mirror

i am creating a haunted mirror... i had someone donate an old mirror w/ an awesome frame... the problem i am having is w/ cutting the 1/4" acrylic "plexiglas". the shape is kind of wavey... several curves in it. so far i have tried using a 27tpi jig saw blade (began cracking), dremil w/ cutting disc (time consuming and i have broken several wheels)... if any one has any ideas plz let me know.

completed!

i ended up using an electric drill w/ the dremel cutting wheel.... the drill could handel the extra friction better than the dremel... i hope this helps anybody else

Comment

I sometimes use a regular plexiglass cutter a cheap item at Menards, you pull it towards you it has a hook-blade, have a steel ruler to pull it alongside to make it easier, safer and more accurate.
      I recommend buying the thicker Dremel wheel, the reinforced one if you are down to fine work, which it sounds like you might be.
      Inside curves should be taken after you cut a straight line near the curve then attack the curve with a
      Dremel wheel straight-on using it more like a grinder than a saw, if you know what I mean?
      I also sometimes use a bigger grinder with a very thin metal cutting wheel, it piles up the slag but that is easily knocked off usually.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
      X