No announcement yet.

Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not the flame retardant material. While they were going through they were able to actually snag a piece that caught them in the face. They not only cover 75% of the haunt with it but use it as curtains between rooms. I lit the piece and it caught right on fire, melted and burnt my finger when I pinched out the flame.

I am curious Smacky why you think the safety requirements are ludicrous?

Howie
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Maybe a standard for flame resistant plastic should make it all have to be colored dark green, then everyone would know immeadiately what was going on if they saw black plastic again.
      (Unless you were color blind?) OOPS!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Personally I'm not one to take crap and play dead when someone does me wrong. It just encourages further abuse in the future.
        The weak will always be abused because the abusers think the weak will just roll over and take it.
        Screw that!!! :x I don't take crap from nobody! If I have paid my money for a service I had better get it.
        Fact iz that other haunt iznt safe. How are you going to feel if someone getz hurt? Knowing that a little effort from you may have prevented it.
        Cheerz!

Comment

I am the same way and have always been. I always stand up for what I believe. But, sometimes you have to ask yourself is it worth it? I agree that public safety should be the number one priority. But for whatever reason the city does not seem to care if someone gets hurt there.

I have voiced my concerns and pointed out the safety violations to the city. I have posted a warning about unsafe haunts on my web site. On Friday I have a live 45 minute interview on a local radio station. I plan to bring up the topic of haunt safety then as well. Our media night is next Thursday and I will bring it up again to any of the media that is interested.

I don't want to have to get my lawyer involved. I also don't want to cause any bigger rift with the city than I already have. I still plan to open one more year in this location.

I can live with myself. I can sleep at night knowing that I run a safe attraction and that I tried my best to notify the city of one that is not. It is the other owner and the city that should feel worried about what might happen if something goes wrong!

Slobber
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Hey you brought your concerns to the city and if they don't do anything about it then there really isn't anything you can do. The scary thing is are their any other haunts like this. Both you and i Howie know that Michigan has tons of haunts. If each city in Michigan allowed 1 haunt to open without a fire and other inspections for some reason whether because of negligence or cause they are friends with or related to the owner that could prove to be a huge problem. All it takes is one accident for the haunt industry to get a bad rap which in turns leads an increase in the prices of insurance and all that which means taking more money from haunt owners pockets. Which in turn may drive up haunt prices for the customer and it may eventually reach a point where the customer figures it's not woth it anymore.

Comment

There is a haunt in my area that I think is unsafe.
              I'm really worried about it.
              Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can put them out of business?
              Guerilla Haunter

Comment

Hey haunter112,

Your goal should not be to put them out of business. With my situation, all I want is for them to be made to follow the codes and and to have to follow the same set of regulations that I do. It would also be nice if they had to pay for their permits and lisences just like I do every year.

Howie
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Another thought about safety....

I think it would be a great idea if haunts made their actors & staff get first aid & CPR certified.
                  Could even be a good selling point for the haunt!

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                    Guerilla Haunter

Comment

I agree public safety is paramont. While regulations can be excessive and over the top it is often in a knee jerk fashion because of these cretians.

When people buy something or hire a trademan there are certain 'industry symbols' that carry a lot of weight and can add credibility.

Perhaps this is something you can do to make you stand out from them and make them look like rank 'cowboys' who gambling with their patrons lives rather than than tackling them head on.

You know you are in the right and playing by the rules.

Make sure your customers know it too. On your website and your promotional materials make it clear using symbols and statements that you are 'insured' (these bozos may not have insurance either???), have saftey precautions and have been inspected. If you belong to a group or industry association then use the logo as well and let the group know.

Perhaps this industry could have different acreditation levels as sort of self-policing to help you? Just like a website can have a triple A accessibility rating? This obviously won't come into play this year but is something to think about because it could help us all! I wouldn't mind having a 'haunted attraction' seal of approval or 'Firemarshall certified' on my website!
                      • Insurers should insist on them being inspected or the insurance is invalidated

It only takes one accident.

Comment

Working...
                      X