Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Here is a situation I am dealing with. This is my 20th year running haunts and I am very familiar with all the codes, permits and licenses that are required to operate. I not only adhere to all the rules but go way beyond the requirements in regards to the safety of my haunt.

Last week I had my Fire, building and electrical inspections. We passed with just a couple small changes that the building inspector requested. They are coming back this Wed. to re inspect to make sure I made the changes that they requested. No problem! I even changed a few things that they didn't love but were not going to make me change.

While they were at my haunt they mentioned that a haunt down the street had not yet called them to come and inspect their show. In our city you must have the police and fire dept. signature on the business licence application before it can be approved. So I wondered how they would be allowed to open without being inspected and without pulling the proper permits.

Needless to say the other haunt opened on Friday night. I sent some friends through the house on Saturday to see if they were following all the required safety laws. They video taped the entire event from their wait outside all the way through the haunt. I was shocked when I watched the video later that night.

There is visquine (Black Plastic) covering most of the attraction which as I'm sure you all know is a big no no, there are no clearly marked emergency doors if any emergency doors at all, there are pathways less than 44" wide, which is the local requirement and no self illuminating directional arrows 8" from the floor. Also on video we have one of our group asking if there are restrooms available, which is also a requirement. One of their employees said "No, if you have to go, then you'll have to pee between those two trucks" which he pointed to in the parking lot.

Now this morning when I went to pick up my business licence which to my surprise went up over $600.00 from the last 3 years. I asked the licensing dept. if the haunt had their business licence prior to opening on Friday. I was told they picked it up Friday afternoon. However, the Building Dept. told me they still were not approved to open at 5:00pm on Friday. The Fire Dept. has still not done an inspection on the haunt. Which is required in order to get the business licence.

This haunt is not safe for the public and is breaking several codes that I can see on tape. Apparently, the city is allowing them to operate this way.

I have to pay for inspections, building permits, a surety bond, insurance and a business licence. They don't have to do anything. Is this right?

Haunts like this one, are the reason why we pay more every year for insurance. Why it is harder to find cities that will allow a haunt to operate. These are the haunts that have the potential to injure or kill patrons.

I have already contacted my attorney. I am thinking about going to the newspapers and letting them know how unsafe this attraction is. Should I just drop it and mind my own business?

The bottom line is that I do everything the right way. I follow all the rules. I pay for all my permits, licenses and inspections. It is not fair that for whatever reason this haunt is getting away without having to follow the rules and endangering the safety of the public.

What do you think?

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

I'm pretty familar with the Michigan Haunted house scene, is this a new haunt or an established haunt?

Comment

Hey undertaker,

It is an established haunted house. They have been open in Warren the last three years.

Howie
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Care to be more specific? Is it the Fear Factory?

Comment

I don't care to be more specific at this time. I am not posting this to bash other haunts. I was just curious what other haunters felt about this matter.

Howie
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Well to answer your question to put it frankly it's a load of BS. How can your haunt one haunt get around the whole fire inspection and all that. Not only is it unfair to you and the other haunts out their but it's awfully unsafe. Sorry to go off topic but have you heard anything regarding the release of the Fear Finders? Are they already out?

Comment

Yes, the Fearfinder Newspapers have been out for around 2 weeks. Ed and his crew have once again done a great job producing and distributing the paper this year. I am proud to say that our ad is the first one you see when you open it up. It is a full page color ad on the inside cover.

Howie
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich
                Yes, the Fearfinder Newspapers have been out for around 2 weeks. Ed and his crew have once again done a great job producing and distributing the paper this year. I am proud to say that our ad is the first one you see when you open it up. It is a full page color ad on the inside cover.

Howie
                Ok thanks. I'll have to try to track one down.

Comment

When I hear stuff like this I immediately think one of two thingz....
                  Either payola. Someone somewhere iz takin bribez (or iz a relative of someone)...
                  Or discrimination.

Equality means we all have to abide by the law and when one person doesn't have to do that it creates an unfair situation for otherz in the biz.
                  Not to mention the danger it placez the public in.

I say raise holy hell bro! You have every right and you're doing a public service too!

luck.

Comment

Thanks for the support Bonesaw!

Howie
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I would do nothing. Creating a stink will back fire in public opinion at the customer level. You have no idea what connections the other haunt might or might not have. It is great that you have covered your own and I would continue to do so from year to year even if the authorities become more lienient over time with your opening process.

In fact if you force their hand to have to do something you will never be given any slack. Someone that lives by the code dies by the code sort of thing.

It would be a consideration if this was a charity event as apposed to an individually owned and profit oriented venture though. If it is charity and you challenge their status the city might likely outlaw any haunts in their county as a form of settling any future dispute of fairness rather than making the other haunt comply.
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I agree with Greg. Although it is unfair it could bring negative vibes onto your attraction and make future dealings with the authorities even worse.

Comment

Let's see, which forum am I on?

You are absolutely correct about the danger of black plastic yet for the past 25 years this has been the standard and only on these forums are there those properly concerned with erradicating this practice, the use of plastic and such.

I have turned this into a super mini cottage industry. Hey I noticed you have black plastic. Would you like some fire retardent treated wood walls that can really be detailed out? For a price of course. Instead of attacking it is opportunity. It becomes educating and benefiting. This helps the world safety at large if someone provides a service rather than just calls someone out.

I would rather haunters police our own ranks than the MAN tell us what to do or that the whole idea of having a haunt is wrong.
                          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Interesting views and opinions from all.

I think I have decided to drop the issue for now. Mainly because I need to stay focused on my haunt and making sure we have another great season.

I will always provide a safe attraction for my customers. I hope that this haunt and all others will comply with the safety codes in their communities. They are in place for the protection of your patrons. I know that I could not live with myself if anyone got seriously injured or worse in my haunt because I did not do the things needed to keep them safe. I pray that no one gets hurt at their event this year.

I am still upset that I am forced to pay thousands of dollars each year for permits and licenses that they are not being made to pay for. I will just keep telling myself that at least I'm doing things the right way.

I am still interested in hearing from other haunt owners on this issue. I would love to hear about similar situation and how you dealt with them.

Hope everybody has a safe and successful haunting season,

Howie
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I wouldn't say a word.

But then, I am of the opinion that the safety requirements for haunts have long since passed the point of reasonable safety and are rapidly approaching the ludicrous. We aren't manufacturing high explosives or serving drunks with cigarette lighters flamable liquids, we are just running people through a series of spooky rooms.

But then, black plastic IS increadibly dangerous. Perhaps they are using the fire retardant black plastic?
                              "To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X