"The Disney Way" Worth a read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Disney Way" Worth a read...

Of all the valuable advice that's given by experienced haunters on this site and others, I think the most important deal with treating your attraction as a business.

It seems many haunts fall into the same trap as independant bands. Plenty of enthusiasm, hard work, and endless talent do not add up to success without a "global" view of your endeavour ultimately as a buisness.

To that end I would like to recommend a book that can be helpful at any level.

THE DISNEY WAY, Harnessing the Management Secrets of Disney in Your Company - Bill Capodagli and Lynn Jackson

Available at any bookstore, this is a great book designed to help you create your corporate "culture" and harness the creative energy of your people, from staff all the way through to volunteers.

Although the book is designed for any type of company, I find it applies very specifically to us. What are we if not a smaller scale, slightly twisted take on Walt Disney World?

This book has become required reading for all on our creative team.

If you're serious about taking your attraction to the next level, you should get this book.
    Last edited by Old Tree Productions; 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM. Reason: typo
    Michael Inks, CEO
    Old Tree Productions, Inc.
    "Dream. Believe. Dare. Do" - Walt Disney

Hey I very much agree. Good advice.

Disney is in a class in its own. What a dreamer Walt Disney was....what vision. A very melow guy too seems like. So much to read but I think "the Disney Way" makes the team for me.
    my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

Comment

I think I might have to check this out for myself!

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

You can learn so much from visiting Disney World. From how they handle wait lines, to the decorations in the wait lines as well as the attractions. You can see it in play at Universal Studios too. For instance at the Twister Attraction, as you wait in line you see some cars and props from the movie. Real footage is shown on the TV of real tornados and interspliced are the stars of the movie talking about their experience. Then you go inside with a group of about 200 or so and you snake your way through a house devisted by a tornado and after the attraction you exit guess where? Into the gift shop!

I too am amazed by Disneys vision. Imagine the wisdom of having the monorail to bring the visitors into the park. Everytime I go there I have learned something, even the concept of the leaving the park and having the glowing crap for sale. I just laugh at how they try to squeeze out every last penny from you.
        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Believe it or not, Disney does lines SO well they actually did a scientific study about the psychology of how and why people pick certain lines when given a choice between a left and right side line. They figured out that the majority of people will choose to go to the right side line. Perhaps this is due to most people being right handed. However, it got so bad that Disney actually built an extra room on the right side to accommodate all the people who will choose that side over the left on the ride Pirates of the Caribbean. So when in Disney World, choose left! This only works on rides without a fast pass lane...
          Bill Rod.
          Dark Tech Effects
          Automated DMX Lighting
          Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to adding this book to my library... and reading it! For those interested in Walt Disney and Disneyland, feel free to check out a Myspace page I put together on a recent sleepless night:

www.myspace.com/herowaltdisney

Enjoy!

Kel
            Last edited by Raycliff Manor; 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM.
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I bring 8 of my crew members to Disney world every year in March. its 60% fun 40% business. We take pictures of everything from lines to buildings to plans to characters. You can load TONS of that place. Also its fun to watch people give you weird looks as your taking a picture of a screw on a building or something llike that.

sean
              Sean De Wane
              ----------------------------------------------
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Kelly... And I'm going to be adding your book to MY collection. Also, as a guilty pleasure if you're a hardcore Disney follower, you might want to check out: Disney War also available everywhere. Not particularly an inspirational book, it chronicles the rise and fall and other battles of the Michael Eisner era. Just good gossipy drama for the true Disney-ite.

Looking foward to getting YOUR book!
                Mike

Originally posted by Raycliff Manor View Post
                I'm definitely looking forward to adding this book to my library... and reading it! For those interested in Walt Disney and Disneyland, feel free to check out a Myspace page I put together on a recent sleepless night:

www.myspace.com/herowaltdisney

Enjoy!

Kel
                Michael Inks
                Geist Entertainment, Inc.
                www.geistentertainment.com
                "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

My question is ..is Walt's severed head really inside of a deep freezer awaiting scientific advances in life restoration? Or is this just a joke?
                  Is there still room in that freezer?
                  Could I get a speed pass for the line going into the freezer display?
                  Will they be selling mini-frozen (stuffed with hamburger and peppers) replicas of Walt's head there too ?
                  "Just take them home and pop them in the micro wave Kids!"
                  "YUMMY!"
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Just purchased my copy of the book. Cant wait to read it!

sean
                    Sean De Wane
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    The De Wane Asylum
                    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Working...
                    X