Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make blood to use in your tub to float body parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make blood to use in your tub to float body parts??

I'm trying to create an effect of floating body parts in a pool of blood using my bath tub. I DO NOT want to stain my tub with red color. So what can I use to make it look like blood?

Will food coloring work or will that stain? Any other options?

Thanks!

Blood will stain. All types of fake blood contain red food coloring of some sort. It will all stain.

Comment

So what do you all use to create a pool of blood with?

Hey if I could stick a red light in the water that would be cool, but thats a bad idea.

So is there a way to make blood or water to look like blood that does not stain?

Comment

You can try using a liner in the tub. Some clear plastic would do the trick, as long as it has no leaks. That way you do not have to worry about it staining your tub.

Plus spray the tub down with pam first, or cover it in vasaline before putting down the plastic just in case it leaks.

Any dyed liquid in a tub will dye the tub. A red light will look like a red light in the tub. So the best way to keep the tub from getting dyed is to make sure the actual tub does not come in contact with the dye.
        www.walkthroughbedlam.com

Comment

You can put a submersable fountain light with red gel in the tub, available in the garden center at Lowe's. These are for fountains and utilize DC voltage and are heavily protected from shock hazards. When bathtubs are installed into homes they come with thin plastic liners to protect them during installation, ask a plumbing supplier about these. There is a fake blood, albet expensive, that is used for wardrobe in the film industry, I believe its called Reel Blood. A barrier of vasoline applied to the tub surface could prove to be hard to get off afterwards but may be a solution. Try floating a "Scum" on the surface made of pe-colored stryofoam chunks and a dash of vermiculite. All in all, red is the worst color for staining!
          Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNightMare View Post
            So what do you all use to create a pool of blood with?
            We all use things that contain red dye's of some sort. Since we aren't a home haunt, staining a tub doesn't even cross our minds

I don't know of anything that will look like blood and not actually stain.

The only other thing I could come up with is trying a heavily concentrated UV dye, such as Risk Reactor's IFWB-C7. We have been using it for years to dye an old kiddie pool (our haunt is actually on the site of an old county pool). It's roughly a 50,000 gallon pool and we typically use 1 gallon of the dye per season. 2 pints will give a slight visual, but throw it under some blacklight and it REALLY glows. Its a neat effect, but it's definitely not a blood red. Our pool is painted with white UGL drylok (it helps increase the reflectivity) and it hasn't stained it. I'm not sure how it would react / stain plastics or other materials. Give the guys at Risk Reactor a call, they're really good guys.
            -Brandon Kelm
            Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

I'd say test some food coloring out in the tub and see. If it is in good shape, the dye shouldn't satin it. The porcelain is sealed and nonporous so, unless there are cracks or worn areas, the tub shouldn't stain when you put the dye in. The chance is always there, however, so I would try a small amount first but I bet you won't have any trouble with it. I often time was fake blood and make-up off in the sink or shower or whatever and it always wipes right up or washes right down. I think you'll be fine.
              Kip Polley
              www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
              We Engineer Fear

Comment

Try diluted poster paints. They use pigments, not dyes and will add opacity to the water.

Comment

try a red light like a pin spot aimed at the tub. Maybe try cool aid but I think it stains? You can always bleach your tub!
                  Damon
                  Damon Carson

Comment

Koolaid DEFINATELY stains.
                    -Brandon Kelm

sigpic

Comment

Is your tub red Brandon?!
                      Damon
                      Damon Carson

Comment

Yup, pretty much permenantly, but not from KoolAid We've found a really neat recipe that makes a very wet, very real, very "dimensional" blood.

I'm not sure anything will take it off, short of a sandblaster.
                        -Brandon Kelm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_K View Post
                          We've found a really neat recipe that makes a very wet, very real, very "dimensional" blood.
                          Thanks for all your input, and am interested in that recipe if you would like to share.

Comment

That blood mix would be nice to know.. hint... hint.....
                            http://www.innerfears.com/
                            http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

I believe our makeup guy wants to keep that one a "trade secret".

I'll ask him to see if he wouldn't mind divulging.
                              -Brandon Kelm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X