Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunt Owners: Ever Think about going on Strike?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt Owners: Ever Think about going on Strike?!

Things went on in my haunt last night that really has me thinking about just not showing up at all tonight.

I won't go into too much detail, but there is a certain individual on our crew that due to their disposition, touchiness and attitude, I would rather not have around anymore. I've gotten complaints about this person from other actors and always receive complaints from this individual about other actors. When this person becomes upset, which is often, they will go tell their family an exaggerated story and thus, the entire family is upset with the so called perpertrator, as well. I'm really sick and tired of it! I know...I know, you are thinking that I should give this person their walking papers, but if they go, so does the rest of this person's family -- two of them who are very valuable to the haunt.

There are a few things that is keeping me on the fence as to forging ahead and showing up anyway:

1. Those individuals who count on my guidance and take my grouchiness with a grain of salt because they understand the pressures I am under. These ones have worked so hard to get us where we are and I don't want to bail out on them.

2. The customers who pay to see a good show and I must admit, a good show is what we are giving them this year. They deserve us to be working in a fully functional manner.

3. The Autistic children that benefit from the haunt. IF I were to strike, in a sense, would I be letting them down, as well?

I have less than 10 hours to decide......

Empress,

You know the saying about "one bad apple". Don't let this person spoil the great event you have going. If I were in your position I would let this person go immediately. If that means losing the others, than so be it. If this would happen, I would have a meeting with my remaining crew before I opened tonight. I would tell them that I made the decision for the benefit of them and that I now need all of them to step up and fill in the gaps that have been created. I am sure they would all understand.

Barry

Comment

Gwen,
      I agree with Barry on this one. Trust, these "bad apples" can ruin the entire experience of the haunt if they let these emotions out infront of guest. Just fire him, and if the others leave with him... who cares.

Again, I totally agree with what Barry has said. I hope everything works out for you. Happy Haunting. -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I agree with Barry and NightGore, get rid of the "bad apple". Sorry to hear that with the release of this one you'd lose a couple more a well, but the risk involved is:

1. saving your haunt and still putting on a good show.

2. The Autistic children that get to benefit when the seasons over.

OR

you can always finish up this season with the bad apple and let him go when it's all said and done. And next year you can find replacement actors for the one(s) you had to let go.

Hope everything works out in the end, Have a GREAT SPOOKY night of haunting

Comment

Try talking to the family about it, and explain the truth to them, and then have them talk it over with the person. Also try maybe giving them a different job, but make it out like you are giving them a promotion of sorts, so they dont get pissed off about it. Have them do some que line entertainment or security, or something other than where they keep getting into trouble. Offer to give them a bonus if they can go the rest of the season with no problems. Just like Barry said, one bad apple will ruin the whole pie. You didnt work hard all year to just give up because of one pain in the ass employee. Do whatever it takes to resolve the problem, if the person or his family are unwilling to work with you, then no good can come from them and your show would be better without them.
          The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

My litany for haunt sanity

I have a little litany I have been heard to say a time or two when things are driving me crazy, and it works great for me. I just say to myself, or aloud, “I’m not doing this again next year!” It works in two ways. If things are just mildly bad, actors not showing up or something breaking, then the thought of not doing a haunt again next year is crazy, and it makes me realize how much I love what I do.
            When it is really bad, the thought of “I’m not doing this again next year!” is sort of comforting, but deep down you know you will, but the idea is so nice to entertain when things seem bleak and hard.
            Also, it helps to throw in an explicative into the phrase when you are really mad.
            sigpic
            Louis Brown
            Owner, operator, and dish washer
            at
            DarkWood Manor

Comment

I have been working with several new haunts this year after almost a decade at the same event. The one "bad apple" logic is very true. If this family is all of your crew and makes your show work, you have a problem. If they are part of your crew you have to decide to move them out before the rest of your crew goes. After almost a decade and no action from the owner of our event my family, another family, and many, many actors have departed from the show I used to work for. All in 2007, the start of the migration in 2006. Their show is getting horrible reviews and people come to me nearly every night they open asking how my new experiences are and if the new haunt I work with would be happy to have them. One "bad apple" will ruin your crew, and ruin the reputation of your event. Once people start saying your show is for "5 and up" you are dead.... no one pays the over $10 haunt price for a kiddie show. And lets face it, all a haunt has is the reputation that you scared the hell of of someone.... once that is gone... so are the guests.....

Sorry, as a person that had to decide where to go based on the "bad apple" logic, if or when I kick off my own event, this kind of person will not be tolerated. I have seen the total hell they can cause to a crew first hand.... no one but the trouble maker is enjoying their twisted band of social deviance. If you really want to fix it, send them to therapy.....LOL......
              http://www.innerfears.com/
              http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Thanks Everyone, for your much needed advice. I came back here to let everyone know that with five hours left, I've decided to suck it up and go. This will probably be one of our most busiest nights and the haunt needs me.

It just so happens that three of the board of directors for my nonprofit will be there tonight. So, I'm calling a meeting with them and the person with family in tow. Everything will come out in the open as to what is expected and if they cannot handle it, they will be asked to leave. I think they have all taken the comfort in knowing it is all of them against just me. Well, tonight it will be shown that is not the case -- I am not alone.

Again, thanks for your advice and I'll keep you all informed as to the outcome.

Comment

do hope the meeting will be after your show and not before.
                  Worse case scenario, you could loose your 2 shinny apples along with the wormy one.
                  I do hope tonight Rocks for you guys!
                  Thanks, Jeff
                  www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                  www.HauntForum.com
                  www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteners Entertainment View Post
                    do hope the meeting will be after your show and not before.
                    Worse case scenario, you could loose your 2 shinny apples along with the wormy one.
                    The meeting will be before we open. I cannot work under conditions like what they have put me under. The person as well as a family member have tried to contact me three times. The message left by one of the "shinny apples" wasn't all that pleasant. That's why it's time to nip this in the bud. If I have to cover their parts myself, I will.

Comment

Well, let's make some apple cider then! lol

Hope it all worked out tonight
                      Thanks, Jeff
                      www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                      www.HauntForum.com

Comment

Sucks.

Fire him and go on. It's amazing how things just somehow work out when you are trying to do the right thing.

Comment

Qwen Its easy for all of us to sit here and say FIRE HIM! our advice to you wont affect our shows , only you know what is best for your show.
                          That said, EVERYONE in life is expendable, EVERYONE.
                          I think the best thing someone can do in business and life in general is to surround themselves by people that compliment each others attributes. Ive been blessed to assemble a phenomenal team, each having their own role in the company, but if one member became the cause of to much drama, they would be gone. A machine cannot work properly if one gear is grinding oppisite of the rest.
                          Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by bodybagging View Post
                            A machine cannot work properly if one gear is grinding oppisite of the rest.
                            Well, apparently all that gear needed was some fine tuning because the meeting was a huge success! Everyone left the room hugging each other and we had the best night and attendance so far this season.

I was prepared for the worst, but it all worked out. Why is it we must struggle to obtain something of importance? I'm sure to many of you, this situation would not have disturbed you as it did me. I tend to take things to heart and allow them to disturb my sleep and my waking hours. I'm glad this particular situation is over.

BTW, on the opposite side of the scale....
                            have any of you haunt owners/operators experienced a few of your crew members falling for you? I think there are a few starting to turn sweet on me......

Comment

Awesome Gwen!!

So, does this mean you my have a couple of stalkers in the near future?? lol
                              Thanks, Jeff
                              www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                              www.HauntForum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X