Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are haunts classified? If so, WHAT Classification does your haunt represent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are haunts classified? If so, WHAT Classification does your haunt represent?

While learning about haunts, I hear or read all kinds of words and wonder if haunts are classified by age, size, etc...

What makes you different than the guy down the street from you who calls thier haunt something different than what you call your haunt.

For example; if you call your haunt a premier haunt, and the guy down the street calls his a professional haunt / What would be the difference?

How does one define his/her haunt? What do these words actually mean?

1. Beginner
    2. Amatuer
    3. Commercial
    4. Premier
    5. Professional

Are there words I'm missing? And do some of those words mean the same thing?

Please classify what you define your haunt as?

Thanks!

Amateur verging on Commercial.

my first personally owned haunt project is still 2 years out, and i'm constantly working on something for it. A design, a prop, even just jotting down notes and ramblings from deep within my twisted little mind. Though this won't be my first haunting experience as i have worked for non-profit organizations as an outside consultant in the past ( 4 seasons under my 23 year old belt.) Just finally at a point in my own financial life that i feel i can begin working on one and applying the experience that i have from past projects to this one, as well as utilizing the next two years to prepare the project as best possible. (Luckily the market in Lincoln, NE hasn't been fully realized by competitors, I went to every local haunt this year and i wouldn't classify any of them beyond Amateur, either)

As to my own classification, I feel that beginner is a bit harsh for the amount of experience that i have, beginner is more for a home haunter/1-2 season haunted attraction owner. Amateur gives the deserved connotation that I don't know everything and am still learning, but also implies a lack of business and interpersonal savvy.... which is why i say verging on commercial.

Good haunts are viewed as a business, whether that business is a hobby and passion of yours or not. You still need to make a profit to play next year. Being that my project is still 2 seasons out, it is in no way able to be classified any higher than an amateur/commercial combo meal.

-Mat

Comment

"Combo meal?'
      "Would you like to Super-size it for $75,000 more?"
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Is it classified? Yes, I could tell you about it but I would have to kill you.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

1 Beg'n her.
          2 Am not sure
          3 Commercial interuptions? "Before we continue through the Hainted chicken Coop, a word from our sponser, KFC!!!
          4 Premeir- what you do to the face before looking into one
          5 Professional- "Listen Kid, I'm a professional so when I say "jump", you jump, don't ask how high?
          Would such a ranking system make it easier th get bank loans??
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
            "Combo meal?'
            "Would you like to Super-size it for $75,000 more?"
            yes... i'll take an extra large jelly belly with a paunch, and some cottage cheese thighs... extra flabby.
            -Mat

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
              Would such a ranking system make it easier th get bank loans??
              Probably not, just curious a too why sooo many haunts classify themselves as different things even though they are probably all professionals.

Comment

Banks look at haunts as risky seasonal buisness. Doesn't matter if you are halloween, christmas or anything else. You are seasonal. They don't like that.

As for classification ... I'm Elite

Actually I'm not even a haunted house, since they are illegal here. I'm interactive theater ... that's how people tell the difference between us and the other guys in different towns.
                ~HauntedWebby~
                www.lazarusmaze.com
                www.bbqandghosts.com
                "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

Comment

Yard, Neighborhood, School/Church, Charity, Commercial

The divisions I tend to hear are
                  • Yard Haunt - [Amateur, Local] You've done a super job at your home, people say strange things about you and you like it.
                  • Neighborhood Haunt - [Amateur, Local] Your neighbors join together and you all do a combined haunt in the 'burbs. The TV crews do a story about y'all on Halloween.
                  • School/Church Haunt - [Amateur, Public] your school or church puts on a haunt for the public, usually done as a fund raiser.
                  • Charity Haunt - [Professional, Public] done for a charitable cause
                  • Commercial Haunt - [Professional, Public] but done as a for-profit business
                  • National Haunt - [Professional, National] large Disney-like haunts

So perhaps the actual classification attributes are amateur/professional, local/public/national, and non-profit/for-profit.
                  ----
                  Your Pain, My Thrill...
                  Steve
                  Haunted Mines - Colorado Springs
                  http://HauntedMines.org

Comment

^^this classification hierarchy makes more sense to me...
                    -Mat

Comment

When I first saw the title of this subject I assumed a rating system like "Gore" Kiddie", excetra.
                      The system our potential customers need so as to make their driving/spending decisions in advance, saving our ticket sellers some grief.
                      "Do you do special Kiddie shows?"
                      "Are you trying to terrorize everyone born between 1960 to 2000?"
                      One style doesnot fit all, awl, maybe? (That pointy tool for scratching things.)
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedWebby View Post
                        Actually I'm not even a haunted house, since they are illegal here.
                        Why are haunted houses illegal in your area?

Comment

Here are some of my classifications.

Spook House- Generally light on major scares, mainly trying to attract the family with small children.

Haunted House- Generally light on the gore and light on set design

House of Terror- More gore and action, aimed at the teenage crowd, but still light on design.

Techno Haunted House- Heavy on set detail, more animatronics than actors

Gore House- More blood and gore than any Haunter may want to see or use

Haunted Attraction- A word used for a more "Adult" haunted House...18 and over due to situational stuff and brief nudity

Hell House- Word used for Church groups to promote their views and I feel like Hell even acknowleging them!
                          I am coming Sara! But I a coming very slowly, because little pieces keep falling off of me!

Comment

I always heard "Butcher Shop" to describe the gory scened ones.
                            I think "Murder House" or "Crime Scene" would also help to describe a certain style.
                            Would someone wanrt to take their child to see a crime scene or a murder house?
                            A butcher shop, maybe if your 6 year old boy was helping to slaughter chickens on the family farm-no big deal! Real blood, guts, chicken claws to make puppets out of, beaks galore! Lots of fun!
                            confession: Yes I did have some toys that were once chicken's claws. They got stinking alot slower than my own feet did! Then Mom made me throw them away, right in the soup!
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                            X