Avoiding This!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding This!

i am going to have a yard haunt this year in my backyard.
    i am going to make it like a haunted house with walls so it doesn't feel like it is outside.
    i dont want it to be vandalized with anything of some sort and i want to prevent that.
    i dont want punks coming onto my property and destroying my things that are going to be up for a couple nights.
    does anybody have any ideas about preventing vandalizim for a yard haunt?
    need answers!!!
    Thanks Much!!

--Troy

email: violinistwoes@hotmail.com

Buy a Pitbull, a Doby or a Rot. Set a dummy up in a guard uniform. Put video cameras (Real or fake) and post property under surveillance.

Just a couple ideas,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

I once had some dummys in guard uniforms, then at midnight, they stod up and went home!?
      I could have been using real dummys So Much cheaper!
      They professionally turned their heads away from the drunk who was busy climbing my downspout of this tall two-story house, the vines helped too, it wasn't all "downspout's " fault.
      Nice work, Manny & Quin!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Buy a cheap camera system from Sams Club...connect to VCR and record entire night. Hire local police detail for each night...post "Haunt under Surveillance - night vision cameras on property"....put actors in strategic locations near your most prized props to "keep a watchful eye" on them as well....not to be a gloomy gus, but yard haunts are usually demised from the beginning as you are at the mercy of the elements, not to mention tons of local permits and codes to abide by. You may want to check with your local government on getting this started. I know when I did one years ago, I needed documents and permits for the fire marshall and local gov. detailing the contents of every scene, map of the haunt, and $$$$$ for the permits...as well as needing electrical inspections (can't use extension cords!!!!), and the final walkthrough by the fire marshall (who was a hardass and a half!!) was done 2 days before I opened!!!!!....the grounds needed to be level, no trip or fall hazards), and I had to get the neighbors' approval to have this in the neighborhood.....oh, and not to mention, your homeowner's insurance policy WILL NOT COVER ANYTHING with regards to fire, personal liability, damages, etc.....be careful....but have fun....not every state / local gov. has the same requirements for a home haunt...I lived in a suburb outside of New Orleans, and they were strict....

Comment

It seems like some places are alot more strick then others. I never needed any of that for my home haunt. Even for my professional haunt we don't have that many hoops to go throw. anyways best of luck to ya and to answer your question, screw down everything and buy those fake cameras at radioshack. Or real ones at walmart.

sean
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Cameras are fine if you want to catch someone. It doesn't detour them, you still will have to prosecute and the damage is already done.
            The best solution is prevention. Properly placed motion activated lights will detour most of your vandals and thieves and is relatively inexpensive.
            Most vandals and thieves are spur of the moment. Lights will will usually make them change their minds. Anyone that had a plan to do damage or steal from you will have it thought it through and will work around whatever precautions you have taken.
            Thanks, Jeff
            www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
            www.HauntForum.com
            www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

You forgot the drunk vandals, I'm not sure they will have everything planned out, they would fall into the spur-of-the-moment clasification, usually.
              They can get off by just using that internationally recognised logical explanation:"I wuz drunk."
              "Oh, that makes it alright then."
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What about bear traps scattered around the yard?
                1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Seriously?
                  or are you just pulling my leg..
                  the surveillance camera thing i like, that's definetly a must to buy one for next year.
                  But, thanks for the inputs!
                  keep them coming!!

Comment

Along with the physical advice of gluing and fastening everything down and erecting a surveilence system there is another thing that directly influences the potential situation.
                    The more people that you have coming to go through your place the more the potential for theft and vandalism increases, I know, this sounds so basic and simple-minded but allow me to continue..if you are putting groups through a haunt you will need the number of helpers or personel to handle a certain number of people, if you get overrun by customers or decide that you can trust people enough to put 25 people in a group, then you will see the negative aspects also multiply.
                    Customers need to be somewhat watched and controlled and entertained.
                    If they become bored they begin looking for things to mess with.
                    If you become greedy and don't have enough help, then you will be at the mercy of the whims of the crowd completely.
                    Crap always happens when the numbers get out of hand.
                    Will those "numbers" as translated into dollars offset the damages and grief they bring?
                    Only you will know that, usually after the fact.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X