I really want to build this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want to build this

I really want to build this, however I cannot figure out how the mirrors are placed to create this effect. I know it is simple, but it is escaping me how to do it. Anyone know where I might find a set of plans or could someone draw me a simple set.

http://www.frightcatalog.com/Hallowe...+Guts-1002052/
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

Here is the effect; http://www.hauntedillinois.com/h5.php

Comment

So the guts down the middle would be the intersection point of the mirrors?
      Greg Salyers
      Fear Entertainment

Comment

NO THIS IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT EFFECT! NO MIRRORS NEEDED! I was thinking the other day why buy one of these for a thousand plus dollars when you can make one. Basically your actor is hanging over the back. Just put you some kind of pole or long dowl rod down the middle. Spray great stuff down the pole. Let dry carve or drimmle tool to the shape of organs. Buy red paint. Paint to desired color and gloss. Everything else is simple. Any more ?'s pm me. Be more than glad to help.
        Damon
        Damon Carson

Comment

I just found this same prop at Distortions and it specifically says it uses mirrors. Since the actor is in the middle of the prop, I don't think he could just lean in and get the same effect.
          Greg Salyers
          Fear Entertainment

Comment

Greg,

The actor stands behind the mirrors. The guts or half-body is placed along the intersection point of the mirrors. Since the mirrors are at a 45 degree angle, anything directly in front of the intersection point will not be reflected in the mirrors.
            Last edited by MindWerxKMG; 11-15-2007, 04:09 PM.
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
              NO THIS IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT EFFECT! NO MIRRORS NEEDED!

Are you sure, those look like the bottoms of mirrors to me. see the diagonal lines?

Brett Hays, Director
              Fear Fair
              www.fearfair.com

Comment

Very cool.....the one at Distortions sells for 1000's. I assume I can build for at lot less than that. I also assume you build yours....don't suppose you would like to share the plans?
                Greg Salyers
                Fear Entertainment

Comment

Maybe it was around 1870 that a magician had a phone-boothed sized box with a pole in the center which held the lantern so you could see the box was "Empty".
                  The pole hid the seam between the two mirrors, this was in a 15 cent pamphlett on magic I bought via the US Mail from Johnson & Smith when I was 10 years old, and you know How Long ago THAT WAS!!!!
                  People could disappear by hiding behind the mirrors when the box was opened.
                  I later had a small plastic box like this from some childhood magic kit.
                  Bugs Bunnie gave it all away when he would often exclaim, "It's done with mirrors!"
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I stand corrected. It always appeared they were leaning over the back of the thing. Which in a way they are. But its inside of the box and not over the back. Seems easier to just lean over the back put your pole closer. Build and place your shoulder or neck piece on the back and save a few $ on mirrrors. Oh well anyway thats how I would do it.
                    Damon
                    Damon Carson

Comment

I understand completely, Damon, I try to avoid mirrors at all cost too!
                      "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"
                      "It sure ain't YOU, JIM!"

HAHAHAHAHA!
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
                        I stand corrected. It always appeared they were leaning over the back of the thing. Which in a way they are. But its inside of the box and not over the back. Seems easier to just lean over the back put your pole closer. Build and place your shoulder or neck piece on the back and save a few $ on mirrrors. Oh well anyway thats how I would do it.
                        Damon
                        I think you were right the first time, that the actor is leaning in from the back. Look at the shadows cast by the chains and the shirt. It appears that the prop is lit from above, casting the shadows below. This wouldn't appear like this if it was done with mirrors, would it?

Comment

I have one. It is done with mirrors.
                          Kevin
                          MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

magicians

see now that is why we still use mirrors because in different lighting we can use optical illusions to further prove that mirror are not used.

if you don't mind watching a little magic here is a video of peter marvey a lot of his illusion use mirrors, you will see a glimpse of the sphinx effect.
                            also at about 2 minutes in watch his sawing in half it uses mirrors. it doesnt look like it but look closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUF44Km8qN4

Comment

there are a few variations to this illusion, some use mirrors and some dont.

Ive seen both in person.

they're both impressive.
                              Last edited by NightMareManor; 12-16-2007, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X