online advertising poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online advertising poll

Would anyone pay $50.00 for one year for a banner that rotated on 2 webistes that gets about 30 to 60,000 hits a month?s poll

Good morning, all.

We are certain someone would be quite keen to undertake such a banner purchase, but without more information regarding these two websites we would be unwilling to do so. Perhaps the gentleman could post some more information about the sites in question relative to what sort of sites they are, how they are related to this industry, what is the demographic profile of the average/target member/visitor of the sites, etc.

After all, some of the fundamentalist religious sites generate well over 60,000 hits a month, but we somehow doubt advertising dollars directed toward that target would be a very wise undertaking.

But, then again, we are only the resident EVIL foreigners...... :wink:

Thank-you.
    "It will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl!" Winston Churchill

Comment

just wondering before i spent the money

Comment

?

I would have to agree with Bailey and Me on this one. I would definitely need more information before answering your question. Indeed, it sounds like quite a bargain, but is there some sort of ?catch to it?? In fact, it seems almost too cheap.

First of all, a website reporting how many ?hits? they get is somewhat of an age-old trick. Just because a site claims to get between 30,000 to 60,000 hits a month, that only gives you a distorted image of their actual traffic. How many unique visitors do they get per month? A hit is nothing more than a request to the server for information. For instance, let?s say that their entry page consisted of the page itself (1 .html) page, 2 scripts and 37 pictures or images. Let?s add that up. That is 40 files, thus 40 requests to the server, which equals 40 hits for every page view. Let?s say that each visitor to the site only visited their entry page and no other pages. Calculate the number of unique visitors from the data given above:

30,000/40 = 750 and 60,000/40= 1,500. So the site gets anywhere from 750 to 1,500 unique visitors per month. Even less, if each one visits more than just their entry page.

Another factor is how many sites are in the banner rotation? Let?s say there are 30 banners in the rotation. That means that on average only 25-50 people per month would even see your banner.

And one of the biggest factors of all is, as Bailey and Me stated, what kind of website is it? I doubt it could be related to Halloween. As anyone with a Halloween-related website knows, your web traffic spikes in October and dramatically drops after October 31st. Since the website in question would not be Halloween-related (my assumption, based on the facts given), there is a huge chance that the visitors of the site wouldn?t give a darn about anything to do with Halloween. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn?t. Let?s be optimistic and say that 30% of the visitors that see your banner will click on it. That takes your actual referral hits down to 7-15 actual click-throughs per month.

Kinda funny how 60,000 hits, in my scenario, turns into only 7 to 15 click-throughs for your site. Is 84 to 180 hits per year worth your $50? And that is assuming that all the unique visitors of the site will be viewing the page that the banner rotation is on.

Don?t get me wrong, I?m not trying to knock the idea. I?m just trying to work with the information given, to give you a realistic scenario. Just remember, if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. Just my 2 cents!
        Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
        Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Good evening, all.

Hopefully without sounding as if we are running for the Presidency of the Adam Drendel Fan Club, may we please be allowed to point out how level-headed and informative Mr. Drendel's posts nearly always are? Kudos to you, sir!

One must keep on eye on those level-headed types, though......... One never knows just when they are going to EXPLODE.

Little Jeffy Dahmer was considered a model, quiet, reserved neighbour, remember...... :lol:

Thank-you.
          "It will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl!" Winston Churchill

Comment

My ad on Adam's site could feature a naked body to attract more attention, the good ol naked pterodactyl that hangs on the south outside wall of my house! (I once put Bermuda shorts on him for Christmas, since his pelvic bone protruded rather suggestively, but they did have it that way, to give more leverage , stretching the muscles over it for the wings, I believe....)
            If someone says their website gets 60,000 hits ask to see the bruises!
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Can anybody tell me if these web statistics are good?

It is a halloween related site

Total Hits 69748
              Total Files 63058
              Total Pages 20949
              Total Visits 3187
              Total KBytes 1217144

Total Unique Sites 2933
              Total Unique URLs 300
              Total Unique Referrers 219
              Total Unique User Agents 30

. Avg Max

Hits per Hour 93 1141
              Hits per Day 2249 10612
              Files per Day 2034 9475
              Pages per Day 675 3514
              Visits per Day 102 283
              KBytes per Day 39263 189674

Comment

How many banners in the rotation?

Thanks for the stats. I am assuming from the information given that all of these figures reflect a monthly average of all hits, files, page views, unique visitors, etc over a one year period? For instance, if I am correct, the average number of unique visitors in a one month period for this site is 3,187. That is the most important number. Like I said in my last post, hits don?t really matter as much as how many unique visitors you have.

With the site being Halloween-related, you have a much higher chance of visitors clicking on your banner than if the site sold shingles or something. That is in your favor. Unfortunately, I don?t think you can make a decision without knowing how many other websites are participating in the banner rotation. For instance, let?s say that there are currently only 9 banners in the rotation. With yours being the tenth, about 318 visitors a month, on average, would see your banner. But if there are already 999 banners in the rotation, on average only about 3 people would see your banner each month. That is a HUGE difference. If you decide to participate, be sure to check your referral hit statistics often. After you join, many other sites may sign up, which will dramatically reduce the number of hits you get from the banner rotation.

Try to find out how many websites already participate in the banner rotation and that should give you a more solid foundation to make an informed decision. I don?t mean to beat a dead horse, but there are a lot of factors involved in purchasing online advertising. I will say, however, that $50.00 for a year isn?t a lot of money. Try buying an ad in a newspaper or magazine and see how much it costs. The internet is a unique medium that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. A magazine add is a one shot deal. Then again, if you only get a few hits a month from your online advertisement, then maybe you should reconsider if it?s worth it.
                Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

"Rotating" can be very erotic if done s l o w l y. . . . . . . .. .
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                  X