Dem bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem bones

Have any of you worked with real animal bones? I had the opportunity to take possession of a deer carcass Wednesday. I've begun cleaning it and wonder if any of you have tried this before and have any suggestions.

Also, at some point in this cleaning process, the bones are probably going to get separated. What do you suggest I use to re-attach the bones?

If memory serves, during the Frozen Tundra haunt tour I saw a real animal carcass (deer?) at The Burial Chamber. You might try to get in contact with Matt out there, he might know.

-Joel-
    Heartstoppers
    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

We have tons of deer skulls and skeletons at Terror on the Fox (we get them donated from local deer farms, New Zealand Red Deer which are bigger than white tail Deer)

We have a lot of big ant hills in northern Wisconsin, we like to let the ants do the work. We use a lot of loose bones and skulls but have also wired them back together by drilling small pilot holes through the bone and then wiring from that point.
      Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

We have also dealt with tons of Animal skeletons.
        I like to treat all the bones individually with fiberglass resin. This makes them very strong and they will last forever this way.
        Then we weld a base with a couple support rods onto a rod the same shape as the spine that extends into the head for support and suspend it this way. Then it is easy to just wire all the other parts to the spine.
        It is very secure and safe and will most definetely last a very long time.
        Kevin R. Alvey
        info at gore-galore.com
        www.gore-galore.com
        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

Tattoo, my mom actually suggested the ant beds also. Between the dogs, coyotes, and bobcats, I was afraid I'd lose the skeletons if I tried the ant beds.

Comment

Flesh eating beetles

London's natural history museum uses beetles to clean a skeleton and I believe the Smithsonian does likewise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3597928.stm

Comment

Dogs....

I was given a wonderful rare African ram head that had the twisty straight horns. I had no idea what to do with the meat so I buried it figuring I would just get it out in a few months. The dogs dug down the two feet and moved all the rocks and had a feast. Nothing left.

I have heard putting them in a bucket of Bleach but, could just imagine how rank the mixture needing to be gotten rid of would be, plus most good things are bigger than say a 5 gallon bucket.
              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                I was given a wonderful rare African ram head that had the twisty straight horns. I had no idea what to do with the meat so I buried it figuring I would just get it out in a few months. The dogs dug down the two feet and moved all the rocks and had a feast. Nothing left.

I have heard putting them in a bucket of Bleach but, could just imagine how rank the mixture needing to be gotten rid of would be, plus most good things are bigger than say a 5 gallon bucket.

This deer carcass is not that large,but it is too big for a 5 gallon bucket. I feel like I need to get this cleaned up quickly and I don't have the time to order supplies.

There isn't too much flesh left on it (rib-cage, backbone, both front legs). I know I can get muriatic acid from Lowe's and was considering trying that in a spray bottle (probably a very bad idea) or just painting it on. Muriatic acid has not been among the suggestions from those with more experience than me, so it may be too corrosive.

I've let it be known that I'll take all the deer and wild pig/boar carcasses around so hopefully I'll have enough trial and error materials. I hate to hear about what happened to your ram's head.

Any thoughts about the muriatic acid?

Comment

I was given a cow skull from the high plains of California. A few months later this really bad smell began hanging around my spooky kitchen once and awhile?
                  Some brain tissue had come alive in the skull and had something to tell me,

"I am rotting NOW! So suck my aroma up yours!"

Wasn't the flesh eating beetles in a Mummy movie or something?
                  Maybe one of those CSI shows?
                  ?????
                  This is one of those things thart will really bug me! hahahah!
                  I hope they don't file into my bedroom when I'm asleep and treat themselves to a late-night snack.
                  Last edited by Jim Warfield; 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

If you choose to go the route of the ant hills take a piece of chain linked fence and place it over the carcass and put weights on it to keep any potential "big" predators off of your new prop.

Hope this helps, I am sure there are methods with chemicals and bleach etc.

You just can't beat the natural look of nature sometimes!

Happy Holidays!
                    Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

Originally posted by Tattoo View Post
                      If you choose to go the route of the ant hills take a piece of chain linked fence and place it over the carcass and put weights on it to keep any potential "big" predators off of your new prop.

Hope this helps, I am sure there are methods with chemicals and bleach etc.

You just can't beat the natural look of nature sometimes!

Happy Holidays!
                      Excellent suggestion, Tattoo! Thanks!

Comment

Muriatic acid

I think acid will just make it jump up and start bitching and take out a little of all of your mucuss menbranes. It will turn everything into acid stain and the color of the meat is what you will get. Hence white is better to begin with then use stains if you want that are poly something instead of organic death.

Maybe there is a taxadermy dude near you with a vat of some fun chemical?
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                          I think acid will just make it jump up and start bitching and take out a little of all of your mucuss menbranes. It will turn everything into acid stain and the color of the meat is what you will get. Hence white is better to begin with then use stains if you want that are poly something instead of organic death.

Maybe there is a taxadermy dude near you with a vat of some fun chemical?
                          Good point about the staining; I had not considered that. I wanted an alternative to the acid as I was afraid an "uh-oh" might be for keeps. I already have the piece of fence that Tattoo suggested as well as a big ant bed. I think I'll get that started tomorrow, although we're expecting rain here.

Comment

The quickiest way is to build a fire under a 50 gallon drum. Boil it for 3 to 4 hours and then use a high pressure washer with a bleaching agent. Place the bones on a piece of tin and let it sun dry for a couple of days.
                            http://www.myspace.com/scareview

Comment

Pressure washing

Carnage at the Car Wash. Be sure to really screw up the foam brush and choose the tire cleaning selection. Eeewww
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X