Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography

I am trying to get some good shots of our haunt with show lighting and am not having a lot of luck. I do not want to use flash as I want the scene to appear as it does in show lighting conditions.

I have a better digital camera that I can adjust all settings on. Can someone give me F-Stop, Shutter Speed and ISO settings that have worked well for them so I can use them as a starting point? The auto setting on my camera is not working well at all and I am clueless regarding photography. Thanks.

If you could post example pictures you have taken, that would be even better.
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

I wish I could help on this Brett. We have the same problem with the pictures we've tried to take in the haunt. :?

Kel
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Me three!! I hate the flash as it completely destroys the effects.

I would love it if some could answer this question. I too have a top quality digital camera. Cannon 7+ megapixels - some good settings but I have yet to find one that does the trick!

Comment

Well, there are a few ways with a digital to capture it.

You can use the Moon-lit setting and set it on a tri-pod for it to be still, this will have a long exposure and will capture it as you see it, also, you the delayed Candle light setting, it will flash, the take a min or two to process it (once again keep it on a tri-pod of solid ground.

You can however use the flash and color correct, and fix the lighting afterwards. I have taken pix at haunts for years and use a variety of settings...I will be posting alot of the newest images from the Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Tour on the NEW RFR Site going up on friday, so you can see some there.

If you guys have any other questions, or if anyone else has better methods I am open to learning new ones. Can't ever have too many options to capture your haunt.

Hope that helps.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
        http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
        "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
        http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

I always wanted a night time picture of my house with the full moon in the backround but the photographer said the moon would look like a streak of light because of the lense being open so long, but does the moon really move that fast?
          At least around here it doesn't seem to move that fast.
          (but then nothing around here moves fast, except for the guy who bought the "new" Ford Gt 40, he's going close to 200mph, the car is red, this might help some to get out of his way?)
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey

Hello Everyone,
            I am relatively new to this forum, and have only been haunting for about 3 years, and attend hauntcon this past year. Generally I just watch the posting, since I am still new to this stuff, however since I am photography major I can give some advice.
            Little technical stuff:
            ISO = How sensitive the film/ccd is to light. 100-400 is avg. daylight shooting. The higher the more sensitive. The higher the number the more grain to the photo. I generally shoot around 1000 when shooting haunts/night shoots.
            Shutter Speed = How fast it the eye opens
            Aperture = How wide the eye opens
            Both shutter and Aperture run on F-Stops

As for setting those it all depends on the location. Depending on the camera, pro-consumers/SLR cameras have light meters built in to give you the number of f-stop to use, and then you set the shutter and aperture to fit that. Which is what auto cameras do automatically.

Helpful hints:
            1.) Since every haunt I have been to is dark, bring a tripod. You will be shoot at really slow speeds to get a good picture. Anything slower than 1/60 will show your hand shaking. (Trust me it does shake)
            2.) Flash photography is hard to do in a haunt. You want to show off your stage lighting and a flash will kill your stage lighting. Flash will get ride of shadows, dim your color lighting, and make things look bright. Generally in our house we use 5-20 walt bulbs, and a general flash is brighter than that.
            3.) If you are shooting with no flash, do not have actors in the shoot, they will come blurry, that goes for moving props too.

If anyone in N.E. every wants photos of their haunt just send me a message, I am also way looking to add to my portfolio. Also if you want me to look at photos and tell you why they are they way they are give me a message.
            I hope this helps, have a great season.
            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield
              I always wanted a night time picture of my house with the full moon in the backround but the photographer said the moon would look like a streak of light because of the lense being open so long, but does the moon really move that fast?
              At least around here it doesn't seem to move that fast.
              (but then nothing around here moves fast, except for the guy who bought the "new" Ford Gt 40, he's going close to 200mph, the car is red, this might help some to get out of his way?)

Jim,

Get into Photoshop brother!!!!
              With a little effort you can do whatever you want. You don't need to wait for the perfect conditionz to happen. Take the damn picture and MAKE the conditionz you want in photoshop!

If you want a bug blue moon in the background, make it happen!

This is a real quick & crude example but you get the idea.
              If you (or anyone) needz help email me.

Cheerz!

Comment

The photographer was using a 1932 "Box" camera with the black cape at the back and the picture looking upside-down on a lined grid.
                Nobody could ever correctly guess what type of camera he used to make his fantastic pictures. What detail!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                X