body mounted cameras like MTV Fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body mounted cameras like MTV Fear

As we were thinking of queue line entertainment for next season we had a couple of ideas come up in our little brainstorming session at the cast party. One of them was fitting certain guests with night vision cameras that look back at their faces (they did this in the MTV series Fear a few years ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV's_Fear

The video feed from this would either be displayed on tv's in the lobby or taped and played back on the tv's.... I think if it could be live that would be awesome as the folks in line would see the person fitted with the camera go in and be able to watch their reactions through the house...

Anyone have any ideas for hardware that could make this possible without breaking the bank...I was thinking of some sort of WiFi cameras and a wireless access point...dunno

The other idea is to have cameras located in certain rooms inside the haunt. We are going to go out before we open and have several cast members in plain clothes go through as though they are customers...we will actually kill/beat/abduct these folks. Then we would like to cut these pre-recorded scenes in with the live footage of the rooms while open (maybe use some static to disguise the switch from live video to pre-recorded.. The technical details would have to be worked out, but I think it could really freak some people out in line to see a group actually killed on the monitor..then come to that same room when they go through..
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

"Lives by the sword, dies by the sword."
    Some customer will flip out, get their sword out of the engine block where it was doing dip-stick duties and slice some actors up in the attempt to defend those victims.
    What with all the emotionally disturbed and drug-manipulated personalitys roaming around out there , push some people and they might break!
    "Life imitates "Art", and Art happens to be a registered nutball!
    yikes!
    Of course those anal cameras ..........
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Brett,

I do believe any camera will work for what you want to do (as long as it is a good quality camera with a night vision option) You can probably find the harness which holds the camera on-line or send Scott Broad from Haunted Media DVD Magazine an e-mail, he has done extensive filming at Terror on the Fox the past two seasons for a feature issue that we are very proud to be part of.

If you follow this link you can view a trailer using that method of filming, VERY COOL perspective of the customers reactions!

http://hauntindustrynetwork.ning.com...405:Video:1383

P.S. Still waiting on the mirror maze plans from my partner (computer issues) I will get them to you soon.

Happy Holidays,

Tattoo
      Last edited by Tattoo; 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM.
      Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Support.html

Little pricey, but all camera stabilization products are! You can probably find instructions on how to build on yourself somewhere! -Tyler
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

good idea put would the falks inline realy know if it was live or previously taped
          The Care Taker
          John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

I like the live body-cam idea! You would have to pick the right person which is very easy to do if you have any wait line monsters working the line. You could put on a bit of a show selecting the person and mounting the camera on them in front of everybody etc…

You might try X-10 wireless camera’s, I have not used them in several years but they use to work pretty good and are cheap. Not sure how directional the antennas are, that could be a problem if you have to aim them. I’ve seen movies of people using them on rockets and the movies looked good so I’m guessing you would not need stabilization.

Also any video camera can be night vision by adding an IR LED. For a face shot you would only need one LED which would light up the persons face plenty and cost less then a buck or two. If you need any help with the IR LED illuminator feel free to give me a shout, I’ve made a bunch of them in the past.

Here’s the X-10 site:
            www.x10.com/homepage.htm
            Regards,
            Jeff Londos
            Monster-Tronics
            Innovators in Haunt Technologies
            www.Monster-Tronics.com
            Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Just thought of something… You’ll will get the best stabilization by mounting the cam rig on a helmet vs a body rig. Your head does not bounce around as much as your body does. I use to do video recording of snowmobiling and the helmet cams worked great even bouncing thru the trails at 90 MPH.
              Regards,
              Jeff Londos
              Monster-Tronics
              www.Monster-Tronics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Monster-Tronics View Post
                Just thought of something… You’ll will get the best stabilization by mounting the cam rig on a helmet vs a body rig. Your head does not bounce around as much as your body does. I use to do video recording of snowmobiling and the helmet cams worked great even bouncing thru the trails at 90 MPH.
                Yeah, I was thinking of some sort of helmet cam setup. Sort of a modification of the carrot out in front of the mule ;

If you are thinking of a product, let me be Beta Tester number one
                Brett Hays, Director
                Fear Fair
                www.fearfair.com

Comment

I was not thinking of it becoming a product but if you want I could put one together for you. It will be mostly off the shelf products. I have all the parts except for the wireless camera. These are the types of projects I like to cobble together. I have a couple more ideas too!
                  Regards,
                  Jeff Londos
                  Monster-Tronics
                  www.Monster-Tronics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Monster-Tronics View Post
                    I was not thinking of it becoming a product but if you want I could put one together for you. It will be mostly off the shelf products. I have all the parts except for the wireless camera. These are the types of projects I like to cobble together. I have a couple more ideas too!
                    It sounds interesting. It would need to be durable, we have several places in our haunt where the guests have to duck down, etc. and wouldn't want it to get smacked on a beam, etc.

I was actually thinking of something fiberglas that would enclose the whole thing. Sort of like those aerodynamic bicycling helmets, but the extended part would be on the front rather than the rear and enclose the camera and IR illuminator.

I do think it's definitely a cool idea. The X10 wireless cameras are an interesting option, just have to see how well the signal travels in the building and how decent the night vision is.
                    Brett Hays, Director
                    Fear Fair
                    www.fearfair.com

Comment

Yep I was thinking the same thing for the helmet. I use a lot of fiberglass because it is light and strong.

It looks like the X-10 cams only come with a directional antenna so that will not work with-out modifying them. There are several other wireless camera systems but the trick will be finding one with good range and that does not suck. I’ve used a few different ones before and never found a good one. I thought of the X-10’s because I knew they had multi cam systems so you could be getting video from one stationary point in the haunt when you weren’t using the mobile cam.

I have one of the old X-10 directional antenna systems, maybe I’ll gut it and see if I can get it to work with a omnidirectional antenna.
                      Regards,
                      Jeff Londos
                      Monster-Tronics
                      www.Monster-Tronics.com

Comment

This company just came out with a line of cameras that can be mounted on a helmet, handlebars of an atv, etc...might be a starting point.

http://www.goprocamera.com
                        Brett Hays, Director
                        Fear Fair
                        www.fearfair.com

Comment

Monster-Tronics product announcement

I think I have found a much better solution.

The Hero system does not give you very good spec’s on the camera, it says it only has a 3 megapixel CCD which most others are at least 6 to 7 meg now. They do not give any resolution sizes like standard TV= 640x480 pixels, etc… The camera and case looks like it might be a OEM of Vupoint or SVP which both have very bad reputations and Vupoint has a class action law suit against them for selling total crap.

I’ve received other inquires from haunters about making the helmet cam or Hell-met Cam as the case may be so I guess this is the first Monster-Tronics new product announcement for our 2008 line. Let me know what you think! Brett, since it was your idea, I’ll make you a sweet deal on one if you want it.

Here’s the Monster-Tronics Hell-met Cam’s specs so far:

Film the face of your patrons going through your haunt or the haunt itself for advertising uses. People love to watch other people get scared going through a haunted house!

* Use it for making live or recorded queue line entertainment.
                          * Add video to your advertising packets to send out to news papers, cable, TV and radio stations.
                          * Make money selling DVD’s of patrons going thru your haunt. Burn a DVD in minutes from flash card.

Sleek helmet design with integrated color/night vision camera, wireless transmitter, and digital recorder.

Spin mount forward or backward looking camera.
                          2400 foot wireless range (line of sight)
                          35 foot night vision range.
                          Full motion on-board digital recorder.
                          On-board audio so you can hear them SCREAM!!!
                          Removable flashcard for full motion video.
                          Rechargeable Hell-met battery pack and charger.
                          Black/White picture in night vision mode or full color with white light.
                          Wireless receiver with standard NTSC video and audio jacks.

Options:
                          Removable LED white light for night color recording.
                          Custom helmet paint job – skull or flames etc…
                          You haunts logo or graphics on helmet
                          Wireless transmitter and receiver only, digital full motion video recorder only, or both on board.
                          Regards,
                          Jeff Londos
                          Monster-Tronics
                          www.Monster-Tronics.com

Comment

Absolutely! I am definitely interested.

The other product that would sell very well in a related technology are photos from within scenes in the haunt that guests can purchase at the end of the haunt. The 'ride photo' type system.
                            Brett Hays, Director
                            Fear Fair
                            www.fearfair.com

Comment

Somebody had a video product like that or at least a concept product a few years back but I don’t think it ever got off the ground.

Others have talked about doing a FRID tag system that would follow you thru the haunt but it would cost a lot and most of the FRID tags that I’ve looked at did not have very good range. I think the cost would be pretty high to do something good and might not be worth the time for the haunter.

Someone sells the still cam systems like they use on rollercoasters but I was shocked at the price of those too. Guess amusement parks have the cash to throw around unlike haunts. lol (he laughs with a tear running down his face)
                              Regards,
                              Jeff Londos
                              Monster-Tronics
                              www.Monster-Tronics.com

Comment

Working...
                              X