We gotta WOLF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We gotta WOLF!

Hey guys, we bought a animated werewolf from Unit 70 about two years ago and when we purchased it, no "real" thought was put into how it was going to be displayed other than it just looked so freak'in cool! You know, one of those impulsive buys!? We basically had it displayed about midway through our haunt and it was more of a "Eww and Ahh" type scene. If any of you have one of these you know what Im talking about. It stands about 8 ft. tall, has a 6 ft. arm span, and moves up and down. Does anyone have any ideas for a scene or a startle effect with this guy? I found a CGI video on hauntedhousesupplies.com for a caged werewolf transformation that would go great but a $1000 is alot for just a damn video!?
    http://www.myspace.com/scareview

Speaking of those CGI videos being so expensive, why is that? It's no different than CGI used with XBOX or Playstation games that you pay 50 to 60 buck's at Walmart. That's what makes it so hard for people to have any "good effects" in their haunts from suppliers of this industy. Unless you are a theme park or just have money to blow away, you can hang it up!!! Your average haunter (like me) or small organization cant afford things like that. Anyway, I just felt like bitch'in! LOL

Comment

I tend to agree. im sure there is time and money involved in creating them. But there are some that are already out on dvd. For like animated pictures ect that cost in the range of 30 bucks Do a search on the net or I think I seen them in things you never knew existed catalog. They may not be quite as top notch as the ones that cost $1000.00 but the effect and the reaction from your guests wont be that much different for the price difference!
      Damon
      Damon Carson

Comment

I am just guessing here, but it is probably like any other new idea in the industry. You have a limited market and a very limited timeframe to make any money on it before someone like Fitco comes in with a cheap knockoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          I am just guessing here, but it is probably like any other new idea in the industry. You have a limited market and a very limited timeframe to make any money on it before someone like Fitco comes in with a cheap knockoff.
          Either that or they have to get their R&D type expenses out of it. Because of the limited market they probably have to have a huge market. Even XBOX and PS3 drop their prices after they reach a sales quota.

Comment

Originally posted by Scareview View Post
            Does anyone have any ideas for a scene or a startle effect with this guy? I found a CGI video on hauntedhousesupplies.com for a caged werewolf transformation that would go great but a $1000 is alot for just a damn video!?
            I bought this prop the first year it came out. I wanted a working jaw so I bought the skins and made my own version. Here is a video. this was taken before it was completely done. The base was strengthened to stop it from bouncing and the fur was finished up better.

http://www.hauntpics.com/gallery/dis...album=20&pos=6

Last year, to get a better scare with it I used it inside a cave scene. You have to duck into a pitch dark corner where it hides unseen. I programmed the sound and animation to start about a second before the light comes on. The loud growl alone gets a scare and then when the werewolf appears so close, it works great.

So I would suggest hiding it in a dark corner and letting people get real close before it fires.

For a transformation, you could utilize a PG illusion with this prop rather than CGI.
            Jim H
            Dark Raven Designs
            http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

If the way a haunted venue is measured or rated has to do with how many thousands of dollars in purchased props are under your roof, then I guess that I don't even have a haunted attraction?
              I just do that "People-Thing" instead, the "people" seem to like it and respond very favorably AND they pay me money for what I do for them.........

.......you know.....Mr. Tuxedo just told me that in his opinion nobody has a real haunted attraction UNLESS they have the magic piece of Cat-String hanging hidden inside of their haunt someplace...he knows where you can get one of these.....they aren't cheap........they have a subtle psychological effect upon your customers that no real haunt can afford to be lacking.
              ...it may have something to do with the extra little maniacal gleam in your eye as you are thinking about all the money that you just paid for a plain piece of string? The customers pickup on this and then they will be more afraid of you!
              GUARANTEED!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scareview View Post
                Hey guys, we bought a animated werewolf from Unit 70 about two years ago and when we purchased it, no "real" thought was put into how it was going to be displayed other than it just looked so freak'in cool!
                I also own the unit 70 wolf (with a Jaw upgrade). Although he spent this past season in storage I will be making use of him next year. In 2006 he was used in much the same way Scareview describes, but I think I know more now and have the start of a plan to make better use of him... he will be used as a first scare/misdirection for an actor in a forested scene...
                Aaron
                Braineater Productions
                Braineater Haunted House, Sidney B.C.

Comment

Just throwing around some ideas but Ive thought of trying to use it in a dungeon type scene. Maybe make a transformation scene in one room where the changing actor escapes into the darkness and when they round the corner into the next room...they see the werewolf. Maybe coordinate the actors clothing and piece together some tattered clothes to put on the werewolf to match? I dont know if that can be pulled off without looking lame though?

Comment

Working...
                  X