How much to Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian,

I agree wholeheartedly. We pay a flat fee per night as well. We explain to our crew that they really need to be in this for the love of the work, not for the money.(Since now a days the money barelyl covers gas!). We do the contracts to give them incentive to stick to their word and finish out the run. It also helps us in the end....If an actor breaks contract, the money that they have forfieted goes into a fund to give other actors a bonus.

Comment

In a perfect world we wouldn't need contracts, but of course there's no such thing as a perfect contract.
      Some people get very emotional when it comes to money owed them or money they feel was wrongfully with held from them.
      I very well remember the conversation that took place in my front room during a tour in which a group of people told me all about not getting paid for haunt work, so they broke out all the glass in that guy's classic hearse!
      What did this "cost" him?
      The most unpredictable and dangerous animal on earth...man.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim,

That is oh so true. Since nothing is perfect, you just have to find the formula that works best for your haunt.

Comment

Very True!

"Finding what works best for you."
          I have modified almost everything I was ever given or got to make it work for me, doing whatever I am trying to accomplish here with always limited means.
          things have worked out with me doing this to my advantage because most customers here see things pretty much the same way and they do not feel ripped off for the price of their ticket simply because there are no $5,000.oo displays here.
          Of course I do compensate by applying my strangeness and physical energy to the tour I give them, afterall the thrill is mostly from the information you give them to set them up for it, setting their mind to the "anticipation mode".
          As with all art you give them part of something stimulating and allow their mind to fill in many of the blanks. Customer mental involvement is" THE Be-All and End -All" of this business.
          Anything less is delegated to "ho-Hum"?
          And soon forgotten....then you have to spend More money on advertising AGAIN!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Setting the anticipation

Jim,

I love the fact that you mention not having $5000 displays and interaction with the crowd. While we don't go about our interactions the same way (I believe you said you do the guided tours, while we don't) we are of the belief 100% that quality interaction is key. Infact, that's where the name of our company came from. We believe that in the haunt, the actors provide the Foundation For Fear. We also work on a limited budget, so we shy away from the large animatronics and more costly props. Whenever possible we use a living breathing person to play every part. Including the roles that aren't supposed to be as living and breathing :grins:.

I have been to some HUGE haunts that contain the latest and greatest props and effects. usually that only human interaction I got at these was when I bought my tickets. The effects look awesome, sure. And I know they were quite pricey. But to me, I can always rationalize that it's a piece of machinery. It's isn't going to hurt me while I walk through. However, the live actor with that chainsaw and crazy look in his eye....He could be a whole other story. I mean, really....we all know how unpredictable us actors can be

Point being....Nothing like a haunt (no matter how small) running on live talent.
            Last edited by FoundationForFear; 07-19-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X