Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Euclidean geometry in a haunt: Any Lovecraft Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Euclidean geometry in a haunt: Any Lovecraft Fans?

Any H.P. Lovecraft or Cthulhu fans out there? :-)

I'm trying to design a room for a haunt that will really mess with people's sense of space and direction. I need a corrider or small room where the normal laws of physics don't seem to apply. Think of walking through an Esher painting. Acute angels behave as though they are obtuse and vise-versa.

I've had a couple of ideas so far, but so far none that don't cost 10 times my budget.

Any Ideas?

Jeremy :-)

please explain more
    sounds cool
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I know a little lovecraft. I have always wondered what the geometry he describes looks like.
      Jared Layman

Comment

What if you found some way to make the corridor look like it's getting bigger, but as you walk through it you find that it's actually getting smaller?
        Probably would require a lot of smoke and mirrors (and I mean that literally).

Or you could have a sideways staircase that starts above your head to the left and makes its way down through the corridor to end up on the floor to your right. Think like a diagonal line from one corner to the other. This could be something really cool to make the room interactive, giving the customers something to duck under. Though I don't know what the fire code is like where you're at, I suppose that could be a hazard.

Deadly Intentions has a scene at the beginning of their haunt that features what appears to be a bunch of 2 x 4's attached from the floor to the ceiling at all sorts of crazy angles, almost like a twisted play structure for kids. Then to top it off they threw in a black light and painted the boards all different florescent colors. Very cool effect, very disorienting. I probably took about a minute just trying to find my way out. I actually came back to Deadly at the end of the season in part because I wanted to see that room again (that and, you know, one of the best shows I've ever experienced).

Comment

cool

Cool ideas. Thanks. :-)

To explain more:

Eclidian geometry: Smallest distance between two points is a strait line.
          Non-Euclidian: Not so much

This is oversimplifying it a bit, but it starts you off. :-)

I'm trying to make a room where the laws of reality seemed warpped. Acute angles behave as though they are obtuse. (45 degree angle behaves like a 120)

This results in a visually interesting room, as well as being highly confusing to your senses.

Think of it like a vortex, but none of the walls are moving.

I like the stair idea..... Fire code would let me get away with a certain amount of ducking, as long as there is an alternate root. Though that is more for handicap accessability.

Comment

You can play illusion games with black and whites and shades of grey. Especially if you use some strobe light action and possibly some black light, you can add in colors to emphasize certain angle work not seen before.

The surroundings of target items can be used to confuse the geometry of your target, making them appear non Euclidean. For example:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/
            http://dragon.uml.edu/psych/illusion.html
            http://wisebytes.net/illusions/necker.php

Do a google for optical illusion.

In particular, I once seen a person do a Necker Cube in real life and was inside. The trick was in making it certain sections. It could be done with a dummy and a forced perspective, ie a hallway for the visual.

Hope all this helps. Good luck.
            The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Here are some good examples that could be applied to haunting.

Kevin
              MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Second is the cube with the guy still the grandest one
                The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Working...
                X