Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well there are lots

Greg-

There are lots of reasons why they say no. 1- they don't know any other words. 2- Haunted attractions attract thousands of people which can be a traffic nightmare 3- Haunted attractions usually attract mainly teenagers which cause mischief 4- They are open late and can add to the noise level if within a thousand yards of a home 5- Some very large haunts in my city that use to travel from location to location every year, made such a nightmare to the city that they have forever tainted the industry and have made it close to impossible to open one up.

There are more friendly cities but I was just feeling the temperature if you know what I mean. I have 4 locations right now and want very badly to not have a repeat of last year.

Ryan
    "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
    - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

#$

I think that last one says it all - guilt by association. All the more reason to join forces with a non-profit. Then the city will look at it as supporting the group, which just happens to want to run a haunted house. You by yourself, on the other hand, would be one of "them" going in with a haunted house looking for approval.

Comment

I guess since I have not gotton as far as dealing with the city, I am still confused as to what legal grounds they use to can keep you from opening....I think of the strip joints that open even though the city doesn't want them....there has to be a law or regulation that they use to prevent you from opening.....just not wanting you isn't good enough (I realize that they can make your life difficult). What is it that you need from them that they won't give you?
        Greg Salyers
        Fear Entertainment

Comment

non classification

if there is no actual classification in their code book or zoning code then they can choose where they put you. Like the examples I had mentioned before, if you consider yourself "indoor Recreation" they may consider you "High Density Entertainment" which they will say will not work for the building site that I had requested. If the city does not have a classification for your intended business then they will put you in any one they want.

Next, Because it is not a retail store and would be considered an "Attraction" they can classify it as temporary business Carnival which is only allowed to operate for select days. They have the power if there is any loop holes!

As for the strip clubs opening? There is a distinct classification for that. "Sexually Oriented Business" They do have guidlines and their own classification. Although the cities hate them, they have others clubs that have paved the way for them. There needed to be enough of them and a history of them before the city will create a classification.

As for haunts here. There is only two cities that are really haunt friendly, as far as I can tell because they have haunts currently. But the sites that I have connections to are in cities that are a bit less knowledgable, therefore they could very well tell me to go to !@#$%^& when I try to submit for licensure. The whole point to this thread is to find out if there is either a lawyer or a consultant or pimp or anyone that understands zoning better then me that could help the city understand what classification I should be in. I understand the point of charity. It doesn't work with these people, I have joined with a charity. Still a NO. I just don't want to waste another 6 months with cities if I can just find someone under a grand that would help the city approve me.

The more I realize it, the more I know that I am screwed. I will just have to battle it out to each and every city until I succeed.

Ryan
          "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
          - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

Ok that makes sense.....sorry you are having so much trouble......
            Greg Salyers
            Fear Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by gregsalyers View Post
              I guess I don't understand why the city would not want a Hanted attraction.....what is the down side for them

For our city the official ruling was "teenagers congreate together and increase the crime rate" too bad because we've never had problems with teens, just adults. Drunk ones, and we don't serve alchol so I don't see why we can be held accountable for that. But they blame us, even during month haunted houses are not open.

Until last year, they worked with us. This year with new staff in the city I hope things will be better this year.
              ~HauntedWebby~
              www.lazarusmaze.com
              www.bbqandghosts.com
              "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

Comment

Remember strip clubs are protected under law, haunted houses are not. Gotta love the court system.

My city tried to force me in as a spook alley under their definition of one. "SPOOK ALLEY: Any amusement hall where displays or structures depict scenes of horror, violence or the unusual for entertainment of the public for a fee. "

I so laughed at this definition! Because it applies to movies, theater plays (Shakespeare is screwed), and of course haunted houses, spook alleys and the likes.
                ~HauntedWebby~
                www.lazarusmaze.com
                www.bbqandghosts.com
                "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

Comment

Working...
                X