Huge News For Transworld...read On!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge News For Transworld...read On!

You might have thought the 2008 Transworld Show was going to be all about buying new things on the show floor but not this year... On Monday during the show itself local haunted event 'FrightDome' at Circus Circus has decided to capitalize on the shows attendance to hold an auction. The Attraction known as 'Fright Dome' will be auctioned off on Monday, March 17th, during the actual Transworld Halloween and Haunted House Show. Norton Auctions of Michigan will be conducting the auction. More details and information will be coming soon. We can only imagine that this auction will be packed to the rafters.

More details coming soon!

To learn more about Fright Dome visit their website at http://www.frightdome.com/

Couple thoughts here...

1) This can't be good for vendors having an auction right at the start of the show.

2) The owners of Frightdome could have picked another date but choose to pick a date that would benefit themselves the most. It will probably work!

This auction will probably draw a record crowd.

I just hope they do this auction at night so it doesn't hurt the Transworld show.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Sounds interesting, this will be my very first time attending Transworld so I'm really excited about checking out all the vendors.
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

very cool now i just may have to check that out.
      The Care Taker
      John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post

I just hope they do this auction at night so it doesn't hurt the Transworld show.

Larry
        Me too! Let us know when you find out a time Larry!
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Fright Dome is one of my competitors here in Vegas. Just so other Haunters understand the situation of this auction let me give you some insight.

This event was in the Adventure Dome at Circus Circus. It is a large area and they had to put several mazes in it. The fire dept gave them huge hassles as far as the flame proofing and materials used in the mazes. Also Circus gave them a very small window of time to set up and tear down the event.

The bad news meant that there could not be a lot of time spent creating detail scenes. The fire dept would not allow many of the materials necessary for detailing the sets. So to counter that deficiency they had to load their mazes with props.

That is good news for the Haunters that would attend the auction. You will not be spending time and money bidding on set and scenic pieces that would be hard to transport and in many cases easier to create on site. Instead you have a higher percentage of props and animations to bid on that can fit easier into your own attractions. Also many of the major props were duplicated so you won't just be bidding on one piece.

Also be aware that the mazes were constructed of aluminum scaffolding pieces lined with a fire retardant vinyl. They had to go through special testing to have the material rated. Again good news because if this material passed in Vegas, it should hould pass ANY inspection, anywhere! Aluminum and vinyl also means the mazes would be great for even an outdoor application such as a haunted trail or hayride.

Larry, have they set a time or location yet? Thanks for the breaking news! This is in my own market and I have to go to Hauntworld to find out!!! Good job!
          Last edited by RJ Productions; 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM.
          R&J Productions
          Las Vegas, NV
          www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I talked to Norton, and I think they will probably go with an early evening start on Monday...hopefully around 6pm until 10pm or something like that.

Lets hope that is the time for this auction.

From my understanding this event has A TON OF PROPS!!!!!!!!!

They told me they haven't made up their mind when the actual start time for this auction will be but I'm hoping Monday at 6pm until its done. I think that is best for everyone including them.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Hellevator

They have one of my fully decked out Hellevators... Good opportunity for someone to pick one up cheaply!
              www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
              [Google+] [YouTube]
              [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the vendors at TW will not be getting all the business they had hoped for.

Comment

Ya its good in one way bad in another. I have to say Norton and the owners of Frightdome were smart for planning this during Transworld. But also alot of haunted house owners will be going to cash in on some major deals at this auction. Therefore the vendors wont sell as much as they would have had this not be going on the same week. So hopefully the vendors come out with some really amazing stuff this year so they still do well. I would hate to see someone not return the following year.
                  Damon
                  Damon Carson

Comment

I just wonder if the announcement was held back until Transworld figured all the venders had already financially commited to the Transworld event?
                    Not that any of this means a patootie to me.
                    Inquiring myndz wunt 2 no.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
                      Ya its good in one way bad in another... alot of haunted house owners will be going to cash in on some major deals at this auction. Therefore the vendors wont sell as much as they would have had this not be going on the same week. Damon
                      All I can say is....maybe! Yes hopefully there will be people getting a deal, but it could also benefit the vendors. How you might ask???

Look at it this way. There is only a finite number of props available at the auction. For example say you have 2 ScareFactory props going on auction. Only 1 or 2 haunters will get the deal at the auction. What if there are 10 people that wanted that prop? Now they have to look at ScareFactory to get one. Then one of two attitudes will prevale.

The prop could fetch a high price so the nonwinning haunters will either feel it would be smarter to spend the extra money and buy a new one but they know a new one is a good value because it would still have a high resale value later.

If the prop sells low they should have to look at the age and condition of the prop and it might help make a decision for their new purchase. You might say, look I could buy this thing new, use it till it's in this kind of condition and I would still be able to get a couple bucks out it.

It's all how you look at things. Do you see opurtunity or obstacles??
                      FrightProps let everyone know that there is a new Hellavator that you might get a deal on! Doesn't sound like a vendor upset about an auction!!!
                      Last edited by RJ Productions; 01-12-2008, 04:49 AM.
                      R&J Productions
                      Las Vegas, NV
                      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I agree with Rich.... I have been to a lot of auctions in the last few years and you rarely get good deals. A few people are there with deep pockets and seem to overpay for just about everything. All the "haunters" just look at each other and smirk, knowing with the items actually sell for. I do think that someone just getting started, or any of us for that matter, may really benefit by buying "lots" or even whole sets. So I think that its a good idea to have the auction when it is but they'd better have a lot of space because its going to be real crowded. Who knows, maybe having it at the same time as the show could backfire.

See you all soon.

Wayne
                        www.trailofterror.com

Comment

All the costs of an auction

Lets not forget about transport costs, packaging or driving those props home. Add those to the bid price & fees on top of a used product. I have seen our animations sell for twice the new price in the heat of an auction. Used product at twice the cost? When is that ever a smart idea?

Auctions are great and I have no problem with this, except for the fact that the time competes with Transworld.

Holding an off-site event, for a show that attendees travel 1000+ miles will force the buyers to split thier attention. Hold it at end of day, offer a mixxer, get a sponsor. Make it an event, not just an auction!

This year is going to be filled with firsts, and all attendees will be looking for Haunt related events to attend. Remember, Vendors are buyers too.

Comment

I have been to several auctions myself and I've seen total JUNK go for absurd amounts of money, and I've seen awesome props go so cheap I couldn't believe it. Auctions are a crap shoot. Last year Rodney's auction in Ohio was nothing but GREAT DEALS, but the year before prices where totally absurd.

I think its usually about 50/50... 50% of the auctions are GREAT DEALS, while the other 50% are CRAZY!

How about this one in Vegas...hmmm.

Let me think!

Two thoughts...one so many people had problems getting product delivered they might buy stuff if its what they wanted. What I'm really thinking is this... you're at the show itself, and you see what the new stuff is going for so people might be a lot smarter about bidding.

The prices might actually be CHEAPER because you're at the show where people just came from the show floor and could buy new stuff.

In fact the prices might go even cheaper because people just spent a load of money at the show the day before. This auction might tend to lean on the cheap side for all those reasons. On the other hand the auction could draw a huge crowd and go for more but I doubt it on this one.

This time I think you have the educated buyers, who just spent a lot of money so I'm thinking DEALS.

But then again is the equipment any good, how beat up is it, who knows.

We'll see.

My STRONG advice to VENDORS is CLOSE deals on Saturday and Sunday before this thing even comes around.

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

I'VE GOT MORE BIG NEWS ON THIS AUCTION...

I JUST GOT THE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Per my suggestion the auction will NOW START at 5:30pm on Monday.

The show was going to start at 10am, I told them this was a really bad idea because they would competing with the show floor, and they could expect a bigger turn out if they waited until the show itself was over for that day.

So now the auction will NOT compete with the show floor, which is better for EVERYONE involved.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X