Rusting PVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusting PVC

I need to make PVC pipe look like rusted pipes in my boiler room....does anyone reccommend anything in particular or do I just paint it
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

great stuff

Go and buy "Great Stuff" the expandable foam.

If you spray it on and then dab at it so it doesn't rise but just has a real course coating on it. Then paint it and the paint won't chip off as much. Also it gives it a real rusty look.

this worked for me.

Good luck

Ryan
    "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
    - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

Use Fleck Stone or any of the textured speckle paints for texture. I do reccomend rubbing down the pipe with a solvent first such as MEK. USE A RESPIRATOR AND HEAVY GLOVES FOR THIS. After rubbing and texturing, coat with Krylon red oxide primer. Age the paint with scenic washes of Black, Grey, White, and Orange. Use water to activate them prior to spraying with squirt bottles. By the way, thin your washes and strain them with a filter to avoid clogging! The more texture the better the washes "catch" the thinned paint, avoid drips and have a squirt bottle standing by with water to soften if you need to.
      Attached Files
      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

For Surface Prep

You can also just wipe the pieces down with PVC cleaner, the type you use before glueing it together. Smear it out wipe it off with a rag.

Even if you were to sand it, the finish still needs to be cleaned with thinner or cleaner to get rid of the contaminants that have come up out of the PVC.

Once cleaned it doesn't matter what you use. It could be acrylics or thinned down solvent based even rustoleum.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

You could also wrap cardboard around the pipes, even allow it to hang down, paint it white first, sprinkle some baby powder inside of it first. There. Asbestos insulation a real dangerous, scary thing!
          Some of it had gauze wrapped around it, make the cardboard a couple inches thick, go around a few times.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

For a good rust coloring to run down the wall where ever the pipes meet try Concrete Stain. I got a gallon in the Opps Paint secion of Home Depot. It was a rust color and works great. Dab or squirt some on near the pipe and let it run!
            You could also dry brush it over the other methods described above.
            R&J Productions
            Las Vegas, NV
            www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

A blacksmith told me the actual way some rust (for ageing") is made is with urine. You might have to contract with the driver of a Coke truck, having him standing by becuae it would take Alot of Coke through the kidneys to ever rust PVC! hahahahah!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Acutally there is a company that sells an additive for your paint that turns it into instant rust. Off the top of my head I'm trying to remembers... its Metal something. Darn it... it will come to me.

They have a whole line of paint.

ARRRGGGHHHH... I don't have it on the top of my head. But a major paint company does sell it. I will look it up and post the link.

The company sells all sorts of cool but VERY expensive paints.

If you can recall several years ago with Distortions had a rusty looking booth...this is what they used.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. Larry, if you can remember the vendor that would be great.

Thanks
                  Greg Salyers
                  Fear Entertainment

Comment

Getting Artistic

If you want to get old school on it take a bunch of nuts and bolts and add pieces of metal and let them rust in a bucket of water. Let it dry out and the flaked residue on the bottom (rust) is your tint. So you can put it over an adhesive base or in an acrylic or even solvent base clear to apply.

You can wander around junk piles and find all kinds of residues. Leonardo DaVinci didn't have Hobby Lobby to go to. They made an oil medium or plaster medium and put in dried tint they hand gathered and crushed. The art work of all periods and artists can be authenticated as they had their own sources of every element of the color pallet.
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

And

Please don't pee in the bucket. Acidic additives might speed up the process but, give a darker color that might as well be brown to black paint.

For rust, you can start with rustoleum red oxide primer and put in a few dashes of yellow and green to shift it to an authentic rust color. What is red oxide? Rusted metal/ iron.

I don't know how many people have a tint kit? Other colors of similar paint can do the same thing as tinting for small pieces.

I have made special finishes and colors for even graghics on an expensive motorcycle paint job. You can convert any colorant into a matching medium by putting in the same medium or the catalyst to the final clear coat and nothing will turn on you in mixing mediums. Going backwards from that, you can create some cool one of a kind finishes by intentionally creating reactions between mediums.

Even running out of a small hand mixed batch of paint and then applying another that doesn't match makes it all look more natural.

This new small key board is going to cripple me.
                      sigpic

Comment

"small keyboard cripple you?"
                        Gregg, you MUST have leverage over the small keyboard, your forearm is longer than it's key-stroke, right?
                        On the other hand if it's cord is wrapped around your neck,all you can do is say "Uncle!" and submitt.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

home depot sells rust in a can,its by the spray paints,i make my rust by painting a thick coat of any color latex paint on the pvc,then i sprinkle potting soil with real fine pine bark flakes on the wet coat of paint.then i repaint with latex to hold it together.next use home depots rust in a can to top it off and it looks so good people have to touch it to see its not real.i have a pic of some rust i made with this technique on my photobucket.this is wood bars tho.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=bars1.jpg

Comment

Wipp, that's pretty good. I want to grind it off and prime it to keep the rust away!
                            sigpic

Comment

I did in fact find the company name who sells this paint...

See I didn't forget about you.

www.modernmastersinc.com

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President
                              www.HalloweenProductions.com
                              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X