To Ghostess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Ghostess

Welcome to Hauntworld. I love all the pictures of your display, the lighting and all looks great.

The easiest way to avoid being upset about stolen content is to just say NO to Halloween Nation. Even though there has been over time some 5800 people sign up, there are really only 3 people involved, reading and posting. If it wasn't for Jolley Roger/Hauntman, Fright Crazy Jim would be talking to himself and Vlad who owns the site just agrees to what ever is posted. At one point even Jolley Roger was a moderator if you can believe that and it went on and on unchecked.

So in a way, this is the little dead end in the maze where the pac man monsters get stuck and as long as you don't go in there, they stay there.

Which is sad, I like Fright Crazy Jim and he puts so much into his reporting and doing and posting. I think Halloween Nation is his personal 50K storage for a thesus in haunting or an ebook to come out someday. But, because Jolley Roger has gone on and on unchecked to be the one to bounce things off of or to respond to, it's like Vlad made the site so Fright Crazy Jim could be like in the big brother program for Jolley Roger. A one on one mentoring thing.

Not that there's anthing wrong with that. It's just very tough to watch.

All I can say is welcome.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Pulling my foot out of my mouth...

Thanks Greg. I've been a member for a while both here and on the Yahoo Group, but really only lurked here and there. I'm still quite intimidated by the level of the pros here.

I'm all over the 'net on a ton of forums, mainly because I'm a complete nut and love to see all the cool stuff everyone makes for the big day/season... it's not just Halloween Nation that started this, but a host of other forums that I've seen his skulduggery on that prompted me into finally saying something. Halloween Nation is just the only one he fired back on, then subsequently used the Caverns site to send the threats. I'm a really nice and laid-back person, easy going.. not a care in the world -- UNTIL someone threatens me. He hit me just right and I decided it was time for him to be called out. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not paying attention to both the posts on the later pages and the dates of the posts when I looked at his fraudulent postings and piped up out of turn. For that I truly am sorry. Not a very good way to bring myself into the light here, so to speak.

And.. some of y'all know me already, so "howdy" to y'all and "nice to meet ya" to those that don't know me. Real quick, I'm a home haunter, been doing some sort of display for about 10 years now, which gets bigger every year and accompanies a big party as well. I started the Florida Haunters Yahoo Group, which spawned a FLorida Haunters Forum created by my fellow haunter Oct31Man.

One day, when I grow up, I want to at least be part owner in a pro haunt or maybe work on set design. Sally Corp is here in the Jacksonville area, and I'd love to get my foot in the door there, even as a janitor!

Anyway, thanks again. Please don't hold my itchy trigger finger against me... it's not something I do on a normal basis.

Deanna Griffith AKA Ghostess
    The Dead End
    http://www.howloweenqueen.com
    http://theghostess.com
    http://www.floridahaunters.com

Comment

"Vlad" aka Chris Brazy I think his last name was spelled was a total joke over here on Hauntworld several years back. He owned a haunt in Colorado, which didn't make it, make false claims, and even had a riot and his haunt was shut down. A local newspaper even reviewed his haunt saying it was the worst one in the whole city. Chris it was reported went inside his competions haunts and tried to video tape them, he accused other haunts in the area of buying off the local newspapers to make bad reports on his haunt... look the guy was a flat out mess.

He started Halloween Nation because he hated Hauntworld. He started that site with another guy named Jim O'Rear who I guess moved on to b-movies or something. Chris would get on Hauntworld every day and post about how much better his site was...and this went on everyday for months. Finally he went away and from my understanding got out of the haunt business.

I have no clue what goes on with Halloween Nation now but from my experience it was always bad news.

As for 'Ghostess' comments about this forum...

Couple things I can tell you is that I erase spam accounts, I just went over there and seems like over half of all their members are spam accounts that no one every bothered to erase. I used to have that problem big time and that is why I switched forums systems. I still get that problem and when I see them I delete them.

But the bottom line is simple... you shouldn't feel anything about the level of haunt owners on this forum. In fact I think most people on the forums don't yet own a haunted house yet. In fact I think most of the posters are home haunters, or build some sort of product or whatever. Its a mixed bag of people for sure.

I think you can learn more for a mixed group of forum members than just one group or another. Home Haunters typically build everything themselves so they have a lot of experience where to find different things, how to do something, while professional haunted house owners typically buy most of the stuff but have more experience with operations, marketing and well have big budgets to do bigger things.

It all blends together great. It really depends on what you want or what you're looking to do! Feel free to hang out with us we wont' bite!

LOL

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Greg,

I was scanning throught the membership and I'd go as far to say that half or over half of every account on there is a spam account. I guess no one erases them.

No no no let me go one further, I would say 75% of his accounts are spam accounts. Look through it and you'll see! He doesn't have 5000 plus members because most of them are spam accounts.

You have to keep on top of it otherwise that is what happens.

Leonards board has the same problem, but I guess someone cleaned that up recently, he's back down to 500 or so members. I think at one point it was up to 800 or 900 but it was all spam. It takes a LOT of work to get rid of all those people so its actually easier to just leave them I guess.

But trust me he doesn't have 5000 plus members. He's got 3 or 4 thousand spam accounts.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

Spam Accounts

I guess you leave those on there to make it look like there are a lot of members?

The search engine equivelant of giving everyone in the ghetto a cigarette.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Yes it does make it seem like more people are supporting the thing for sure. If you just scan through the members you'll see nothing but spam accounts. But the true test is how many people are posting and that is pretty clear...THREE just like you said.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post

But the bottom line is simple... you shouldn't feel anything about the level of haunt owners on this forum. In fact I think most people on the forums don't yet own a haunted house yet. In fact I think most of the posters are home haunters, or build some sort of product or whatever. Its a mixed bag of people for sure.

I think you can learn more for a mixed group of forum members than just one group or another. Home Haunters typically build everything themselves so they have a lot of experience where to find different things, how to do something, while professional haunted house owners typically buy most of the stuff but have more experience with operations, marketing and well have big budgets to do bigger things.

It all blends together great. It really depends on what you want or what you're looking to do! Feel free to hang out with us we wont' bite!

LOL

Larry
              well said sir!

Comment

LOL

Yeah, I thought it was kind of funny that almost all of the posts were FCJim's... and he kept trying to "introduce" me to Monster Mud when I'd already said I'd mixed some up and used it before. I just chalked it up to the fact that he didn't have anyone else to type to, so he just typed as if there were a couple of "voices" in his head doing it for him, ya know? I think he'd do better to start a blog though, that way it would seem less like he's talking to himself and more like he's expressing his thoughts in a constructive manner. Seemed like a nice guy, so I didn't bother with him. "Vlad" said he didn't care what JollyRogerposted as long as he didn't claim it as his when it wasn't. It is very hard to watch... but sometimes it's like a train wreck, you can't look away.

Larry -- you do a great job over here. I wish more forums took your lead in weeding out the trash. Some people just keep the spam accounts and moronic posters so they have numbers on their forums and SOMEBODY posting is better than not, right? It's the guys like JollyRoger that cause the good posters to leave when the admins won't step in and make them go away (on the slower forums, that is).

I believe everyone has something to contribute, something to learn from, which is why I float around a lot of forums. Diversity is a good thing, some people are on some forums, but not on others.. etc. I'll try not to step on any toes... or feed the trolls.
                The Dead End

Comment

Originally posted by scareshack View Post
                  well said sir!
                  Hey Johnny.... your url for your site is misspelled! It's not going anywhere.
                  The Dead End

Comment

We get spammers just had one today and deleted their posts and their account.

It's really said really that people do this. But what can you do. When I was looking over Halloween Nation I couldn't do anything but laugh really... I mean you have ONLY THREE people for the most part who have posted 90% of all the posts. That is un-real. I'm telling you right now that Chris guy is BAD NEWS!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Getting a Blog

The suggestion for Fright Crazy Jim to get a blog is an intresting one. At one time many of the search engines ranked posts from a blog as high as news about Britney spears and I thought this was relatively free high exposure but, over time they backed off the algorithms to the point where you need to have about 300 people digging everything you say to get noticed. I thought because at the time we were discussing national exposure for the haunt industry it shoulf be the happening thing.

The reality is from time to time off season there might be 2 or three people a month find that forum that aren't spammers and in the Halloween season maybe 50 as yet unformed brains who want to be in the know. At least they would be conversational with out the hassle of creating domain names and such. In reality the blogs are out there alone posting to no one with no traffic and no comments in the field of haunting. Unless you too became a spammer about how wonderful your information could possibly be. That would suck and be met with all sorts of negative reaction.

No comments and no traffic is a waste of time. In comparison even a web site in this industry can find about 50 places to link to but it is overall still very low traffic that even if monetized might make $6 per year. The end result is that forum would just be a duplicate in the form of a blog, again pretty much worthless. Worthless in the aspect of gaining wide exposure or really being a benefit or seeing some return on the tremendous investment in time spent.

There might be a few checking into that other forum that are close to Fright Crazy but, that's no better than a dysfunctional MySpace page.

I'm not sure why I have watched this stuff. From time to time I have watched even our core group members go out to any number of other forums expecting some kind of more professional or sober responce, maybe a brilliant perspective? to hear nothing but crickets.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I agree that most blogs are falling on deaf "eyes", so to speak, but at least with something like a myspace page, he could make friends that might just subscribe to his blog and read it from time to time. Even my pathetic little blog gets some traffic, and it's not really informative or funny most of the time... it's just my way of getting what's on my mind down so it's not lost forever. It just seems like more sense to blog it rather than "cyber" talk to your self all day on a forum.

That said, Jim has some good info, and he seems like a genuinely helpful and nice guy. His medium for spreading his word is just a little ... umm... lost?
                        The Dead End

Comment

He kind of lost me when he did post pictures of his fiberglass over house insulation projects. He had helped Mark Cline in a workshop and his own project came out a little wrong. He was still very proud of it though.

At one point he was very helpful to me being a truck driver and having something to do with moving the haunt he is associated with in planning what size trailer I needed to fit mine into, how you load them in there and why.

A home haunt blog might in fact have more of an audience than a pro haunt. A pro haunt might have a only avfew fans. Jim is with Frightfest in Delaware, a pro haunt. Plus I see your stuff is wonderful and people would be interested in your opinion to decorate their homes for the season.
                          Last edited by Greg Chrise; 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I reckon ya have a point with the pro haunt people maybe not having as much of an audience as far as blogging and such. I just figured with as much of his stuff that he makes himself, it kinda puts him in that do-it-yourself league with home haunters as far as some of his "look what I did" posts, ya know?

Anyway, thank you very much for the kind words about my stuff. It really means a lot to get recognition when you put so much work into making your own stuff and seeing it all come to life together. I just want to "step it up" some in the future and you all are the ones to learn it from!
                            The Dead End

Comment

Working...
                            X