Profitability of your haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitability of your haunt?

I know most haunt owners have day jobs, lots of owners are happy breaking even, and lots of owners give a precentage of their profits to a charity. I know your profit can vary depending on your location and competion in your area. I'm definetly not expecting to become rich opening an attraction, I'm really doing because I have a passion for haunting as I'm sure probably all of you do as well. But, I was wondering what kind of profit you guys make, and how many of you are actually full time haunters and do this for a living?

Thanks,
    Jordan
    Jordan Renda
    www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

The Ravens Grin Inn in downtown Mount Carroll, Illinois is my full-time "job" and it is open for tours almost every night of the entire year.
    It wouldn't be profitable at all if I didn't work at it full time since this is a creation of mine and I have done 98% of all the needed work here and do most of the tours here.
    Also the way it has "worked" for me is that for the first 8 or more years I had nothing in the house that I bought that could be considered a haunted house specialty item or device and I still do make most of the things here myself.
    The house is unique among October houses in the fact that it is actually haunted and has been since at least 1925.
    The tours I give are suited to whatever kind of a roomfull is looking at me and I think this flexibility helps it succeed too. The average time spent by customers in my house is 90 minutes, does this tell you something about ME!? I must enjoy doing this? and I always attempt to pass this feeling on to the customers during the course of their evening here.
    I have never done gory displays or movie monsters here but then some have been extremely frightened by the actual supernatural.......who doesnot perform on command or on a regular schedule.......
    "Profitability?"
    I bought my first new car a few months ago since 1973, I don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs or go to Vegas or spend money on cosmetic or sexual surgery!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Here is a thread from a few months ago that covered this subject a bit. Hope it helps!

http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_...ead.php?t=2507

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
      Deadly Intentions Haunted House
      www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Well if I may offer my 2 cents worth here...

It all comes down to having a business plan. After stumbling through success's and not so successful attempts, I now have formulated a business plan for retirement. One has to be able to see where they want to be in the future-
        not just in 2 years( yes its good if you survive those first few years)
        But in order to survive you really have to make wise decisions. You need to focus first in a layout plan of what entertainment you want to offer your guests.
        After years of tearing down shows and resetting...i wasted lots of money.
        Now I have figured out how to do 3 years worth of shows using the skeleton or
        foundation of the new show, for three different themes with little additions to each seasons show. As I approach retirement(not yet tho-lol) My plans are to flick a switch and let the place run itself.

Get wealthy yet? ....naw...I was too inexpierenced before.

Sandy
        www.scarecrowvillage.com
        www.thehorrorteller.com
        info@thehorrorteller.com

Comment

"Flick a switch?"
          I have 300 foot of scaffolding presently erected with no end in sight trying to reach that switch!
          Maybe if I stand on my tippy-toes!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Retirement?

The retirement plan here is, who ever falls over dead on the job, the others get to go through their pockets. Some how they always think it's going to be me next and that I HAVE something good in my pockets.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Now that some of you read Gregg's post about employees dropping dead (funny, huh?) Guess what? It's true...3? now and counting?
              Real morbid humor. Humor helps .
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

As a host and corporate figurehead, I'm not entirely in the loop regarding our financial status from one year to the next, other than what seems to be the incessant chant from the higher-ups that "We need to cut back! We spent too much money last year!"

At the rate things are allegedly going, in another couple of years, our haunt should consist solely of me standing in a dark room with a flashlight under my chin, yelling "Booo!"
                "We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

Comment

Working...
                X