Looking for used haunt items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for used haunt items

Greetings to all, we are a small group that had helped build and run a non-profit haunted house here in middle Georgia. But had left the haunted house due to the fact that not all the money raised (minus each year's start-up cost) was going to help the local individual or family. We all eat, drink, sleep, etc. Halloween. And always coming up with new ideas for scenes.
    We are looking for masks, costumes, props, lighting, etc. We have a very limited budget. And do a lot of car washes, yard sales, and things like that to help with the start up cost.
    We are hoping to open this year, but realize that things do not happen as planned.
    To stop people from adding their own words while reading, we are not asking for things for free. And no pity story here, just a lot of non-profit haunted houses forget why they do a Haunt to raise money to help a local family or individual, we are not one of them.

Thank You
    Capt. Howdy
    Nathan
    Haunted Souls
    Last edited by Capt. Howdy; 02-18-2008, 10:33 AM.

This question comes up a lot

and one of the big problems is that giving you something typically invloves significant shipping costs. Something else I have seen come up is where someone solicits a lot of donated items and then has a big sale a year or so later.

Comment

It always strikes a nerve when people come on this board and want people to "give" them things for free. I just cant imagine. I know people (myself included) who have taken out loans to pay for the props and animations that they need or want. Have extra bake sales, car washes, sell on ebay-- Whatever it takes-- but please-- no pity stories!

Comment

"It's not very pretty , what a town without pity can do."

After asking, a sharp blade held rather closely to the throat usually gets it done.

"It's not very pretty what a steel blade without pity can do."

"It doesn't sound very pretty what a song without Gene Pitney can do."
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

wow jim, that might be the most insightful comment I've ever seen on here....

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
            and one of the big problems is that giving you something typically invloves significant shipping costs. Something else I have seen come up is where someone solicits a lot of donated items and then has a big sale a year or so later.
            I've seen that happen on several occasions on this board

Comment

Hey skullman, not directing this at you personally, but it seems whenever anyone makes these type of posts, the replies are always sooooooo negative, As a vendor we are constantly being contacted about DONATING PROPS, sometimes if we feel that the CAUSE is legit we do, sometimes we dont, BUT we always make sure that we are polite in our explanations as to why we cant at this time. Again NOT directed towards you but some of the replies can be down right rude and obnoxious, and I think that it reflects badly on a industry of great people.

The thing that gets my goat the most are the HAUNTS with large budgets, that are constantly nickle and diming the vendors. 2008 they will be greeted with a smile and a Have you considered buying your props on ebay smile.

Captain Howdy I suggest you put a little more footwork in your search for Cheap props, perhaps contact vendors personally one on one. People are more likely to not jump on the slam the stupid post guy if approached directly. good Luck!

Once again just to make sure that SKULLMAN understand this was not a directed reply to HIM personally more so to the industry as a whole.........
              Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Those are good points

and I didn't mean to sound negative. But I'm in California and the cost of shipping anything to Georgia would probably come close to equaling the value of the item. An important point to make when posting something like this is to specify where you are and specifically ask for those who aren't too far away to help. If you will pay the shipping, point that out as well. If you know someone who lives in a far away state who will be driving to your area before Halloween and is willing to accept donations in that area and bring them to you, note that as well. Just trying to help.

Comment

hey shawn the shipping was a very valid issue that perhaps some people dont think about, LOL as a vendor, I have shipped product around the world and sxometimes that stuff isnt cheap!
                  Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

That international shipping is a killer

So many people in other countries still think you can just throw it on a boat and it will get to them in a few weeks at a reasonable price. For those of you who don't know, the USPS raised its international rates a few months ago. Actually, they only allow things to be shipped air now, which makes it almost cost-prohibitive to ship lower priced things overseas.

Comment

One time I shipped a set of stilts to Australia, 72 dollars, It comes back to me as undeliverable, They wouldnt deliever it to a drop box. You think they might have said that when I was shipping them. 300 dollars later to have it delievered to his home. That sale ended up costing me money, which I learned a lesson with.....
                      If Aussies wanna bounce saddle up a kangaroo and go...... cuz we dont ship stilts to austrailia anymore......

Comment

Originally posted by bodybagging View Post
                        Hey skullman, not directing this at you personally, but it seems whenever anyone makes these type of posts, the replies are always sooooooo negative, As a vendor we are constantly being contacted about DONATING PROPS, sometimes if we feel that the CAUSE is legit we do, sometimes we dont, BUT we always make sure that we are polite in our explanations as to why we cant at this time. Again NOT directed towards you but some of the replies can be down right rude and obnoxious, and I think that it reflects badly on a industry of great people.

The thing that gets my goat the most are the HAUNTS with large budgets, that are constantly nickle and diming the vendors. 2008 they will be greeted with a smile and a Have you considered buying your props on ebay smile.

Captain Howdy I suggest you put a little more footwork in your search for Cheap props, perhaps contact vendors personally one on one. People are more likely to not jump on the slam the stupid post guy if approached directly. good Luck!

Once again just to make sure that SKULLMAN understand this was not a directed reply to HIM personally more so to the industry as a whole.........
                        Thank you for the advise. And I understand your feelings about most Haunts with large budgets constantly nickle and diming vendors. I have seen in the past, always trying to keep a small start up budget each year, makes a world of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
                          and I didn't mean to sound negative. But I'm in California and the cost of shipping anything to Georgia would probably come close to equaling the value of the item. An important point to make when posting something like this is to specify where you are and specifically ask for those who aren't too far away to help. If you will pay the shipping, point that out as well. If you know someone who lives in a far away state who will be driving to your area before Halloween and is willing to accept donations in that area and bring them to you, note that as well. Just trying to help.
                          shawn,
                          I never try to take what a person as a negative, cause even in a negative, there is a positive to be learned. I understand about shipping, which is a lot of cases would not be an issue. Thank you for your advise.

Capt. Howdy

Comment

Originally posted by skullman View Post
                            It always strikes a nerve when people come on this board and want people to "give" them things for free. I just cant imagine. I know people (myself included) who have taken out loans to pay for the props and animations that they need or want. Have extra bake sales, car washes, sell on ebay-- Whatever it takes-- but please-- no pity stories!
                            First off, nowhere in my first post, did we ask for things for free. So I can see you add your own words to a post while reading it. As far as taking out loans, that is all fine if the person has the credit to do that. And that is no pity story here.

Comment

Working...
                            X