Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig Welder?

Hey Everyone,
    Does anyone know of a good MIG WELDER for under $400?
    Im getting a lot of splatter with mine latley. I think its time for a new one.
    I dont have an argon hook up on the back of mine. And noe of the new ones have it anymore. I know LINCOLN and MILLER are good. I just want to clean up my welds.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    sigpic
    PEACE, ADAM
    www.poisonprops.com

I use a Lincoln SP-175 ,I've had it 4 years.. it's great.
    it's not real big in size, it's a real work horse..from props to race cars
    as the good o boys say in the south,,,Get R Done...
    Ghoul Town

Comment

Miller 210

I started out on a Cambpell Hausfeld flux-core 115 volt welder. The welds were pretty poor and it had a low duty cycle which limited it's use. The cost of the tiny spools of flux-core wire added up quick.

Now I have a Millermatic 210. I love my Miller. It makes great clean & strong welds, it can weld pretty much any thickness of stock, it can hold a 30 pound spool of wire... and even laying down 4' of bead on 1/2" steel, I have yet to have it shut down because it reached it's duty-cycle limit. Some day I will get a spoolgun and a separate tank so I can weld aluminum using the same machine.

The Miller isn't quite in your price range, but I would recommend saving up and getting one if you plan on doing a lot of welding.

They do have small, inexpensive units which work with gas. Gas shielding is really important for a quality weld. Home Depot always has small Lincoln and Campbell Hausfeld units on sale that have been returned, check around and you can get a good deal.
      Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

"Poison" I tried to send you an e-mail about this but something seems to be wrong with "delivery"?
        This last week Menards had all of their welders on sale , if you have a Menards anywhere near, or you can see their flyer on-line.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Does my email still not work? I ll look for that store thanks.
          sigpic
          PEACE, ADAM
          www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Brand New Lincoln Electric K1873-1 SP135T MIG Welding Package. How does this one look? This one goes for $489.88 and has a gas hook up.
            sigpic
            PEACE, ADAM
            www.poisonprops.com

Comment

I have always had a 220 volt, 50 amp "Stick" welder, no fancy stuff .
              I just clamp the rod holder clamp to my ear and hold the welding rod between my teeth , more accuracy this way.
              just call me "Sparky!"
              hahahahah!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

mig welder

I wouln't waste your money on a mig welder without the gas hook up. just save up and buy a Miller 140, they run about $600 complete with the gas gauge. it's a 110 volt model. this is a great model for welding less than 1/4" thick. Check out this one
                MILLERMATIC 140 MIG WELDER # 907311 - eBay (item 270210637389
                just my opinion, Phil Miller Frightland

Comment

While you're discussing welders how about perferences?
                  Do you prefer gas shielding or the flux wire (no gas)?
                  Pros & Cons?
                  R&J Productions
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I have a Miller 130. It is a 110 welder, works great. It has a very smooth arc. I have built everything from race cars to support posts for hotels with it. This welder is capable of doing anything with in a haunted attraction. I prefer shielding gas as opposed to flux core. why? better, stronger weld.
                    Ken
                    www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

I ended up buying a LINCOLN SP135T with a gas hook up. I got it from weldmart online for $444. A great deal for that welder. Thanks for the tips.
                      sigpic
                      PEACE, ADAM
                      www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
                        While you're discussing welders how about perferences?
                        Do you prefer gas shielding or the flux wire (no gas)?
                        Pros & Cons?
                        You can get a small, flux core welder real cheap, and there is no extra cost with buying a regulator/guage setup and tank. If you do any serious welding, the extra cost of flux-core wire outweighs the initial savings.

Welding with flux core creates a lot of smoke, so it is difficult to see the bead. It creates a lot more splatter, and you have to chip off the slag that coats the bead when you are done.

MIG (with gas shielding) produces little smoke, and little splatter. There is no slag to clean up. Overall, the welds are much cleaner.

A cursory Google search suggested that you can get better penetration with flux shielding. It seems to me that if you are welding anything bigger than 1/2" plate, you should probably be using a robust stick-welder anyway.

I use .030 wire and steel mix gas (Argon/CO2) for pretty much everything I weld.

I also have a Miller auto-darkening hood that works great. I used to have a cheaper auto-darkening hood that would often fail to work if it didn't get a chance to charge (worked off solar power.) I got rid of it because I don't want to risk getting flash-burns. The Miller runs on battery, but uses solar (from the weld arc) to charge the battery.

I do a LOT of welding, so having reliable equipment is very important to me.
                        Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

I knew that I used a "Stick" welder for some reason...penetration!
                          (It's all about Penetration!)
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                          X