I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help

I need to know how to scare the jocks and the big guys,and the people that are hard to scare. PLEASE HELP!
    Don't throw a baby at anything. Even a Burgalar

Well you can't expect to scare everyone, but you can certainly try.

One thing I've found effective for myself is doing the unorthodox. Something they're not expecting. When you enter a haunted house for the first time, what do you expect the actors inside to do? People usually think the actors are going to simply snarl, yell, and keep their distance. But I don't want people to see what they expect. I want someone to think, "Uh, is suppose to be doing that? Should we get a doctor or something? Wait, wait, that's a little close. A little too close. Back off, weirdo!" What I do exactly are noises such as short rapid breathing (while trying to act like I'm chocking on my own tounge) and gargling. To make my body match the sound, I fake violent convulsions. To top it off, I get really close to the customers. How close? Close enough to literally count the hairs on their upper lip. One of the golden rules of the Haunted House is no touching. Which means we can get as up-close as we wish as long as we don't make contact. But you don't have to replicate all that to achieve your goal. Just remember "do the unexpected" (and hope for the best). If all goes well, it'll put a damper on the customers' sense of saftey and control.

Comment

Thanks. I usually hear that you cant touch them,but that doesnt mean you cant get EXTREMELY close.

Comment

Just watch out for the "punchers."

Comment

Originally posted by Infoamtek View Post
          Just watch out for the "punchers."
          And the drunks. Steer clear of em'.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
            And the drunks. Steer clear of em'.
            and watch out for the people that are trippin on drugs. Now I am a very big guy. 6 foot 10 and 275 pounds. I don't get scared walking in haunted houses because I have 10 years experience working for them plus now I own my own. I would have to say. Surprise attacks is what I call them will spook me once in a while. An actor that pops out from the wall or box. Hidden from you until it's to late. When I see a actor just standing there in the middle of the room who starts yelling at me to get out! That is just so stupid and will not scare me. Think surprise attack!!!
            ~Bill Mlinac
            The Deadland Haunted House
            www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
            www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
              and watch out for the people that are trippin on drugs. Now I am a very big guy. 6 foot 10 and 275 pounds. I don't get scared walking in haunted houses because I have 10 years experience working for them plus now I own my own. I would have to say. Surprise attacks is what I call them will spook me once in a while. An actor that pops out from the wall or box. Hidden from you until it's to late. When I see a actor just standing there in the middle of the room who starts yelling at me to get out! That is just so stupid and will not scare me. Think surprise attack!!!
              You don't get scared because you can see over top of the walls and miss all of the actors jumping out, LOL!
              Jared Layman

Comment

HAHAHA this is true mindtumor. I can see over everyones heads and its great!!!
                ~Bill Mlinac
                The Deadland Haunted House
                www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
                  Think surprise attack!!!
                  Ah, that works too. Last year we had a carnival theme at the asylum. In the last room we had a stage where an actor would perform magic tricks and jokes. The patrons would sit on a bench infront of the stage. I would sit on a giant jack-in-box next to the stage and infront of the partons (who are three feet away). Oddly enough they all thought I was a stuffed prop. I sat there, waiting, trying hard not to move a muscle. Then the show would come to a close. "Okay, who wants to play Escape From the Twisted Carnival? What you're going to do is run that way when I count to three. Because they are all around you now. One....three!" Then the spot lights go out. "DINNER TIME!" As they get up from the bench to make it out of the carnival, I jump down (did I mention I was three feet away?). It's hard to put into words the expression on their faces. Shocked? Fearful? Amazed? Disgusted? Either way, it sure was effective.

Comment

A few things I done over the last 5 years.
                    No touchy feely, but doesn't mean your props can't.

And separating them from the rest of the group seems to work pretty good too.
                    Thanks, Jeff
                    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                    www.HauntForum.com
                    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Hmmmmmmm Big Guys and Jocks, First thing I do is Attack their manhood, De-Manlymanning them by referring to them as penelope, and nancy and what not..... letting him know that his jock friends all made mention of his wee willy winky, so he can drop that tough guy act.....Immediatly their friends jump on board and the next thing you know the Big guy isnt soooo big any more. setting him up for all the same scares as the lil teeny boppers girly girls get.
                      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Near the end of my tour while standing in a dark room with me narrating from infront of them something will touch them on their shoulder as I am referring to "The Angel Of DEATH."
                        There will be people who scream, jump, look behind them as this touch co-ordinates with the spoken words and some just can't get over this experience.
                        Do I get in trouble for them getting touched?
                        No. Because I didn't do it and it is physically impossible for me to have done it.

This house IS haunted.
                        I thought a year ago when this first happened that maybe it was an incredible new ability coming from my mere thoughts manifesting themselves as physical actions?
                        I finally quit this experiement during tours because everytime the lights went back on ..the only person whose pants had fallen down were always mine!
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

thanks for all your help

Comment

It may seem cheap, but....

Like it was said before, you can't scare everybody but a startle, someone coming out of nowhere, a "light on/light off" scare has worked really well for me on e=several occasions. I had a 4 x 4 box on a 3 ft platform with a light that I could turn off and on at will. I floored a huge group of guys, and i wasn't even in costume (i was filling in for an injury). At the end of a dark hall, I was taunting them, asking them to play hide and seek, in a creepy little kid voice. When they got right in front of me, I hit the light on, screamed "you're it" and shut the light off. It worked and even the weakest of actors can feel the thrill of an actual scare.
                            Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

thats what i find,that many are afraid of the dark. have the light on,show just a bit of someone with a chainsaw walking around a corner,he turns it on,the lights go off.

Comment

Working...
                              X