Some Have Wondered....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Have Wondered....

...what the heck has happened to me. Well, I'm still here. Disillusioned and constantly visited by The Silent One (depression), but I'm here.

Some of you have tried to contact me and I've been very slow about getting back to you -- please accept my apologies. Until recently, I have been pretty much immobilized in spirit and soul, but I'm slowly coming back around.

They say "Be careful what you wish for..." Well, it was my wish to have a huge haunted house -- I got it. I also got all that comes with it. It was too much, to say the least. We were on the news five times and called by local CBS News "#1 in Sacramento County." You would think that I would be happy and jumping around like crazy, but I've found that all of that comes at a price. I was worn to a frazzle and completely hating anything dealing with haunting or horror. This time last month, I had no plans of ever having a haunted house again. That was, until I found out the management of the shopping mall we had the haunt at wants us in that huge building right next to Halloween Express again this year. How could I pass up a free space? Afterall, what am I doing this haunt for anyway -- The KIDS! Even though we only broke even, at least we have all the walls we will need and thus ready to make a profit this time around. However, my heart just isn't in it just yet.....

Anyway, I DID manage to put a video together of our 2007 season. It's located on the YouTube section of this forum.

The Scream Extreme Thread

It's only a small glimpse of all that transpired. Hope you like. Have a great time at Transworld!

Time Heals all wounds....I am sure by the time Spetember rolls around you will be chomping at the bit to get open. I wish I had your problem so we could console each other....
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

Comment

That was an outragous video... I love the fact that you're using not scary music to as a highlight. That was like Hawian or something...that was original!

What is up with 'Pee in the Bottle Productions'... I was laughing hard! That is one hell of a clever name, that is certain to be remembered.

Great job!

You know you bring up some great points here... and I've tried to explain this time and time again so a home haunter understands the professional side of things. Home haunt is fun for the love of it, and running a professional haunted house just about ruins the love for it. Its a job!

Its kinda like this... the guy who runs around in a real rubber Godzilla suit for the day stepping on these is just having a blast, but the guy who had to sit in that costume all day and all night long while filming the movie would love to watch the suit BURN!!!!! LOL

I've felt your pain many times, but I will tell you the longer you're in this business the more you will learn to deal with it better, you kinda get use to it.

But I think you made the quotes of the year on what its like to own a professional haunted house, and deal with all of those headaches, and last but not least just how much fun it can take out of Halloween.

I feel you!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        !

What is up with 'Pee in the Bottle Productions'... I was laughing hard! That is one hell of a clever name, that is certain to be remembered.
        Pee in the Bottle Productions came about two years ago when I found a water bottle when our haunt was being taken down which contained what looked like apple juice. I took the lid off and took a whiff only to find out it was pee! Thank goodness I didn' t take a swig. Evidently, one of our male actors couldn't wait for a potty break. Every since then, it's been a running joke at the haunt between the veteran actors.

Thanks so much for your understanding where I'm at right now.

Comment

Gwen...well, welcome back.

Growth can be, well....painful at times.
          But we do live through it, most of the time.

Hope now you are smiling about the good things that you had this year, it's a great accomplishment.

So, you still buying the 1st round in Vegas?

Your friend in Mich.
          Thanks, Jeff
          www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
          www.HauntForum.com
          www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Nice video.

'Pee in the Bottle Productions'... I too laughed - haha

Also the music which probably wasn't meant to be funny - but I lol'd

But overall the video was nice, good work and you should do it again this year, the kids want you to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteners Entertainment View Post
              Gwen...well, welcome back.

Growth can be, well....painful at times.
              But we do live through it, most of the time.

Hope now you are smiling about the good things that you had this year, it's a great accomplishment.

So, you still buying the 1st round in Vegas?

Your friend in Mich.
              Jeff, I'm afraid I won't be going to Transworld. My heart's just not in it. But, have a drink for me, okay? Much love to you, Sweetheart.

Comment

What

Oh no you don't EMP!!!!

Your not going to get away with that as an excuse for hiding!
                I tried and they didn't let me.

Get up.......tell the big depression monster to go away.......dust yourself off

AND RETURN TO THE FAMILY

You would not believe the support that this whacked out family gives.
                Believe me........
                Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

C'mon Gwen, we finally have TW on our side of the country! It's an easy drive and it's Vegas, baby! You gotta come and party!

Comment

This is correct Gwen!!
                    Originally posted by Infoamtek View Post
                    C'mon Gwen, we finally have TW on our side of the country! It's an easy drive and it's Vegas, baby! You gotta come and party!
                    Thanks, Jeff
                    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                    www.HauntForum.com
                    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

I'm sure if you show up, and please find a way, you will have a great time! I'll bet all the vendors will pee in a bottle and share it! The best way to get out of the headaches of running a haunt is to be inspired by others work, kick back, relaxe, and let them entertain you! You're the customer, ask one of our favorite stupid questions of them, such as "is it really scary?"
                      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

We had an actror a few years ago who pee'd in an empty fog juice bottle that was left hidden in his room. Needles to say, he did not throw out the bottle. My partner filled up the machine with pee. The haunt stunk from it for about 2 seasons. The best part of the story is that it was the best fog juice we ever had!

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
                        Deadly Intentions Haunted House
                        www.deadlyintentionhaunt.com
                        1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Spriggs View Post

Get up.......tell the big depression monster to go away.......dust yourself off

AND RETURN TO THE FAMILY

You would not believe the support that this whacked out family gives.
                          Believe me........
                          I believe you, Sweetie. Thanks everyone for your loving support. I really do appreciate it. You've warmed my heart.

Comment

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one to have encountered the abandoned bottle of pee inside their haunt. I have found pee bottles, jugs and a bucket. The culprits usually fess up, and I can’t give them too much grief cause they did manage to stay at their position. It is a level of dedication that I appreciate, but I don’t encourage it.
                            Maybe I should start giving an award to the actor that never takes a break. We can call it the PEEbody Award.
                            sigpic
                            Louis Brown
                            Owner, operator, and dish washer
                            at
                            DarkWood Manor

Comment

Hi, I really, really feel for you even though I do not know you personally.

My first year of doing the real haunt had many highs and lows. I had ordered all sorts of expensive props : real caskets from texas and had them shipped, carl chetta designed many pneaumatics on sensors, costumes from all over, speciality masks, elaborate sets and scenery...way mucho dollars and I barely broke even.
                              My guests behaved in unbelievable ways, the staff would show up and then not show and not call...it was a flippin nightmare...so much so that at the end of that season I sold everything and i mean everything to a firemans haunt in Springfiled Il.
                              I felt finished with the whole horror senerio...It made me sick to my stomache just thinking of it. Well, low and behold..the first smells of fall came and the crunching of leaves and I had the fever once again. Thanks to some haunter pals of mine...they sent me many items to put on the show once again.
                              That time it was great.
                              Its in your blood...it will arrive again gwen. Just keep adding to what you have and don't sell or get rid of it.
                              Sometimes I think females micromanage everything and we really make it hard on ourselves.
                              Just rest and take care of yourself for a bit...the bug will be back and you'll do way better then last time.
                              Also remember it takes a bit for word of mouth to travel. But you'll get there.
                              You just gotta farm out jobs so you don't have it all on you.
                              Plan for a way to do 3 seasons with the same set only changing it out some or adding a little to it.
                              Your video shows what an awesome time the folks had at your place...always remember that part.....
                              They need your talents and you evil mind!
                              Keep me posted..email if you want to share.
                              Sandy
                              www.thehorrorteller.com
                              www.scarecrowvillage.com
                              info@thehorrorteller.com

Comment

Working...
                              X