Selling concessions at your haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling concessions at your haunt?

So how many of you sell concessions at your attractions? Do you think it's worth the bux? What do you sell?
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

We sell softdrinks, water, assorted bagged chips, candy and popcorn. We also sell glow necklaces. Definitely worth it!
    Kevin
    MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

For us concessions have only worked this past season when we had a really good turn out. If you have large crowds of people and it takes a while to get in (not that that is a good thing) they are more likely to buy concessions. If the line is short, then they will probably just go through and hit up a McDonalds or something after. I think that glow stuff and t-shirts always sell well.
      Bill C. Schnell
      Dark Son Productions
      NecroPlanet Haunted Attractions
      www.NecroPlanet.com

Comment

Concessions

We have done concessions at both Farm/country events such as hayrides and haunted trails and barns as well as city evnts with just a haunted attration.
        You have a more captive audience with the rural events and we were netting about $1.50 per person of the total attendece example if we did 2000 people in a night we would net $3000 after expenses . In the city people were less app to stick around and eat and were were netting about .75 per person. We did well woth glow products also wew sold more of our shrits and hats if the concession stands were open to draw the customers in for food. We also did a photo op that went over real well.

Comment

selling Concessions

We have made a large amount of money in the past selling concessions at Scream Farm. We sold hotdogs, drinks in cans, cotton candy which we make a ton of and
          popcorn, oh and candy bars and chips as well as some small halloween type noveltys.
          In 2007 just as soon as Halloween was over I hit wal-mart and CVS and Big Lots
          and bought up a lot of their little halloween novelties for pennies on the dollar
          and I am going to sell those this coming year if all goes well with us getting a new
          building.
          I purchased a carnival sized Cotton Candy machine and a very large popcorn
          machine outright with my own money and it has worked out really well!

Huggs and Screams
          Kimmy
          Come Scream with us at SCREAM FARM

Comment

For the first number of years I had someone else do the whole food-thing my only tie-in was I provided electricity, they got all the profits but also had all the headaches.
            For a few years now charitys have food stands but the amount of their sales dropped off alot when we began reservations so people were not idly standing around so much anymore(as someone else stated ahead of me)
            by the time people drive several hours just to arrive here most teenagers don't have extra money to spend on tee-shirts, ex cetra.
            Of course sometimes the charity food stands could be found selling cold pop on a freezing cold night and selling hot chocolate during a warm night. Certain products sell better depending upon the weather too.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Concessions at your haunt

I highly recommend selling food/drinks at your haunt -- you're missing out on a ton of money if you don't. We also sell glow necklaces and Halloween novelties in a wide price range variety. One thing's for sure, if they have a nickel, they'll spend it......besides, drink companies (Coke, Pepsi, etc) LOVE to sponsor these events and a lot of the time, depending on your local rep, will throw in "freebies" for the event like banners, hats, t-shirts, etc. Go for it!
              "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
              ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

Our first year in business and we sold both glow pins, necklaces, and fiberoptic wands. They did really well. We had a local organization provide food and keep the profit. Problem was they didn't walk out into the line of people to sell their products. This year, we are going to control it much more. I am considering calling the local JC's and see if they will bring in their trailer. It will be more visible and folks will purchase while standing in line. Definately get the glow items, you make a lot of money on them. Stick with simple for the food to see if it works.

Comment

We have a .....

Full service menu at Graystone Manor its Called Dead Debbies Diner seats 125 people we sell
                  Popcorn
                  Cotton Candy
                  Pretzles
                  Nachos
                  Polish Dogs
                  Roasted Hot Dogs
                  Chili Cheese Fries
                  Chicken on a Stick
                  Hand Dipped Corn Dogs
                  Funnel Cakes
                  Cheese Sticks
                  Carmel Apples
                  Candy Apples
                  Pizza
                  Chicken Fingers
                  Water
                  Coffee & Hot Chocolate
                  Fountain Drinks
                  We have a no wait in line policy where we issue tokens and you wait for your tokens to be called so the food does great for us.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have never understood selling glow sticks that will then be taken into your light-controlled haunted show. ??
                    If you had a movie theater would you be selling cherry bombs?
                    "Oh! Reginaldo I love you! When I think of the first time that we met I remember."BANG!" "Yes my dear, then I softly touched your "BANG!"
                    "And do you know who the murderer is? I do, it's "BANG!" no one else has figured this out."
                    "I just came here to hear the Academy Award nominated best sound track for best song."
                    "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!: (furthermore)..."BANG!"

I know, you make "Money" selling them, but what about the ruination of everything that you tried to accomplish with your show ?
                    Will the non-glowing customers be understanding when you ruined it for them so you could fill your cash drawer? They just might not come back next time..
                    If an entire room full walks in glowing I make them sit on them until I am done with the first room, after that they can glow all they wish, as long as it is not a mixed group , otherwise they get taken and given back later.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Amen, Jim! I hate those pesky glow things. Speaking as a haunted house patron, I have had countless haunt tours ruined by such things. As Jim stated, most haunts have low lighting and there is a reason for it... to set the mood for the attraction or to hide actor(s) from sight. Artificial light sources (glow sticks, bracelets, etc) often ruin these surprises, scares and take away from the atmosphere the haunt is trying to create. Yes, you may make a few dollars selling them, but in the long run, they may do you more harm than good. Non-glowing patrons like myself actually enjoy going through an attraction without a night-light. When I go through an attraction and one or more people in the group have these artificial light sources, it just ruins the entire tour for me. Just my two cents.
                      Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                      Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

I do not sell glow sticks at my haunt, but I do sell blinky things that flash. (Insert smart ass Warfield response here) So yeah the blinky things that flash , but they can be turned on and off. When we are giving the rules we ask people to make sure to laeve them off in the haunt and explain that if they turn them on, theyu are just going to ruin it for themselves. The nice thing about the blinkies is you can only sell the glow sticks for $2 or so, whereas we were selling blinkies for $5-$7! Plus a good selling point is many of the blinkies like rings have REPLACEABLE batteries, compared to the glow sticks which last for a few hours.....

If anyone wants contact info for blinkies, shoot me a message
                        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

I do stand corrected about the glowing things, mine are flashing and they do get turned off.

We also have a childrens section that the parents can drop their kids off while the go through the haunt. In most cases, the flashing/blinking things go along with the children. Our rule of thumb is to have them shut off as well. We don't allow any additional lighting in the main haunt.

Comment

Concessions at your haunt

Greystone ~
                            Love the "no waiting in line" policy -- thanks! I've been wondering if anyone has a food token system that worked! We have several activites that we're switching over to a token system this year so we don't have so many staff handling cash....anybody else have a unique system to keep folks moving along?
                            "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
                            ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
                              Full service menu at Graystone Manor its Called Dead Debbies Diner seats 125 people we sell
                              Popcorn
                              Cotton Candy
                              Pretzles
                              Nachos
                              Polish Dogs
                              Roasted Hot Dogs
                              Chili Cheese Fries
                              Chicken on a Stick
                              Hand Dipped Corn Dogs
                              Funnel Cakes
                              Cheese Sticks
                              Carmel Apples
                              Candy Apples
                              Pizza
                              Chicken Fingers
                              Water
                              Coffee & Hot Chocolate
                              Fountain Drinks
                              We have a no wait in line policy where we issue tokens and you wait for your tokens to be called so the food does great for us.
                              How well does it work calling the tokens?
                              Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                              X