Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used the Spooky Props Rechargeable Chainsaw

Hello,

We're adding a new area to our Haunted House and we are considering buying a Spooky Props battery powered chainsaw. My question are: Is the saw loud enough? How long did the battery last? How durable is the saw (we have retards working for us)? Would you consider it a good investment? Would you purchase it again after owning one? I saw the chainsaw a few years ago at transworld but I didn't have a use then..

Thanks,

Dan

The saw weighs in about 97 decibels at 10 feet. It uses multiple speakers for the low and highs. Main body is fiberglass and the blade is a latex for safety. Battery is heavy but stays in a belt holder the actor wears. Not sure of the batttery life but it is several hours, I think so it should last the night nicely.

Am budgeted to get one for a cornfield area myself.
    Last edited by Nightmaretony; 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Ive owned one for the past 3 seasons. On a full charge, it will last 2 nights, though I advise charge it every night. Construction is great and durable. It works great for indoors. Outdoors it is functional, though not as loud as a real saw cause only saw gives that REAL sound. On the other hand, your actor will never have to worry about that embassment that comes from pulling on a cord only to have the real saw not fire up....
      www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Nothing truly replaces a real chainsaw. That said I think the Spookyprops Chainsaw is a great product! It is lighter, safer, and instant on everytime. And very loud with no fumes. Now if you really let them see it and hear it, they will know that it is not real. But from surprise it works great!

One of our folks did manage to rip the wires ( by not rigging the cable up the arm, and running and snagging the cable on something) but It was easy to fix, and very durable.

In places of poor circulation where you cannot use a real saw I would recommend it, we have ordered a second one for this year.

Thanks!

Ben
        NETHERWORLD
        Ben Armstrong
        NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
        www.Fearworld.com
        www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

We have used one for the last few years. Like everyone said, it's not the real thing, but it does start every time, does not have to be filled with fuel several times a night. On weekends we are open for 6+ hours and the saw runs pretty much all night on one battery. We do charge it nightly and have a back up. Ours takes a pretty good beating and has held up fairly well. We have done some fiberglass work on it recently, but considering the way its handled and used it has held up well. At times there can be issues related to actor use but our techs on hand have been able to address these quickly for the most part. There have been a couple issues when we first got the chainsaw and Spookyprops was very responsive in taking care of the issues. The little bit you give up by not having a real chainsaw, is more than worth it considering some of the headaches it saves. In a surprise area with an active actor most people don't even realize its not real. I would recommend the prop.

Comment

I will echo everyone's comments. A great product.

Comment

We have had one for a couple years and it has worked great. We use it in a room with lots of bodies and body parts hanging around and one megastrobe and lots of people tell us that they thought it was a real chainsaw. We have had to repair the wire when the actor gets careless. On Saturdays we are open 11 to 12 hours and the battery has held up for us, but we keep a spare just in case. We would buy again without question.

Steve Black

Comment

I agree, we've used one for the past two seasons and really like it. I feel it was definitely worth the money. We plan to get a second one for next season.
                Bill C. Schnell
                Dark Son Productions
                NecroPlanet Haunted Attractions
                www.NecroPlanet.com

Comment

Definetely worth the investment.
                  And the best thing you get with your order from Spookyprops is his service guarantee. He takes great care of his customers.
                  Kevin R. Alvey
                  info at gore-galore.com
                  www.gore-galore.com
                  www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                  www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                  www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

From the positive , glowing statements here it sounds like the perfect prop to figure out how to place in the hands of a robotic chainsaw operator.
                    Anybody done this one yet?
                    The advantage would be no fumes from the saw nor from the operator!
                    Vented, scented butt-pluggs are too nasty to keep around, the dogs think they are chew toys! Gross me out!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Most indoor haunts buy battery operated chainsaws because of the smoke and fumes it produces. That's why many haunts use a guy with a chainsaw to chase you out of the exit door. Most of the fumes won't be trapped in a room.The majority of battery operated chainsaws I've come in contact with sound like a muffled recording of a real chainsaw. But Spooky Props battery operated chainsaw looks authentic and it better be close to the real thing for what they're charging. Almost $700 for a fake chainsaw sounds extremely steep to me. You can get a real chainsaw for $100 and sometimes cheaper and paint it yourself to make it look spooky.
                      Spooky Wishes
                      Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

What exactlly are the cons when it comes to using a real chainsaw? I'm going to be on a tight budget in my first year and every dollar I can save helps. So, would it really be worth it for me to go out and spend $600 more for a 'fake' chainsaw?
                        Jordan Renda
                        www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Comment

Cons,

-Weight, Can get heavy during a night
                          -The fact that a real chainsaw can not be used inside most places
                          -Reliability. Nothing like sneaking up behind a group, going to start it and you get a plllllll plllll pllllllll "SHIT"!!
                          -Danger. Though most anyone with common sense takes the chain off, people have been burned on a chainsaws exhaust. Also, story was last season a haunt 15 minuets from me had a customer run into the metal part that the chain sits in. Although the chain was off, and agin, I am just going by what a customer said, this person ran into this metal thing and came away with a nice cut...
                          www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Here is why everyone should buy a chainsaw from spooky props.

1. Yes, real chainsaws can be acquired fairly cheaply, but with our haunt we break them fairly quickly. It usually gets broken or is in need of sometype of repair and maintence every night. And 1 hour of maintence per chainsaw adds up. And we end up buying atleast 2 every season. However, we are very aggresive and brutal with the saws.

2. A fake chainsaw does not put out fumes.

3. A fake chainsaw is not dangerous. The spookyprops saw is fiberglass with a soft latex blade.

4. The spookyprops saw will require much less maintenence since it has no noving parts.
                            5. The spookyprops saw also comes with a service guarantee.
                            Kevin R. Alvey
                            info at gore-galore.com
                            www.gore-galore.com
                            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Now where can I get six hundred and fifty bucks..........Everyone! Collect all the tin cans you can find! Time is of the essence!
                              Last edited by Smiley; 03-01-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X