Taking Donations +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Donations +

i am putting on a non profit haunt. i dont think i have to get my haunt inspected. but if i am going to take donations. then do i have to get it inspected? im not forcing them to pay, they are just giving away a little money. lol. i want to make sure before i get caught my higher authority

Are you talking non profit like in your yard or having space in a building?

Is it a mandatory donation?
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
    www.HauntForum.com
    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

I took donations at my home haunt, I was told as long as the donations were voluntarily given it was okay. I had a sign that said "Help Us Keep Farmers Cemetery Growing, Donations Accepted But Not Neccessary." Some gave more then others, some gave nothing, it worked out to about $1.00 per person. I would have loved to charge but, I can't do that here, need to find some land.
      Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

All of my haunt will be in my garage and in my backyard.
        it's not a mandatory donation, it is all voluntary. but yet. i want to charge admission my having the victims....ahemm....customers give non parishable for the local salvation army... all of this is leading to questions. lol
        of course food and money are two different things. but would i still need it inspected to admission by food items?

Comment

I don't think you need to really worry about inspections unless you are operating as a business or building structures. Besides, if you are conducting a charitable event, I don't think anyone will bother you. Just be sure to put on a safe event and maintain good relations with your neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by GraveStalker View Post
            I don't think you need to really worry about inspections unless you are operating as a business or building structures. Besides, if you are conducting a charitable event, I don't think anyone will bother you. Just be sure to put on a safe event and maintain good relations with your neighbors.
            Although that was the norm, changes are in the air. There are a few home haunts that have been inspected, it depends on your local government. Some will draw the line if you admit the public period. It doen;t matter if you charge or not, if you allow the public access you will have to be inspected because you jepordize the public's safety period.

Some home haunts alieviate this by only having a display. The public remains on the the sideway (public property) and only view your display.
            SAve an inspection, but then again it not really a haunt, tough to get a good scare with just a display.

It all depends on how your local government defines it. Couple years ago we had a secondary attraction Pitch Black. It was wooden walls creating a maze with a vinyl roof.
            FD saw it and said they could either define it as a tent with wood sides which only required one exit, one fire extinguisher...or a "building" with a cloth top which required a sprinkler system. THEY decided it was a building!! Everything hinges on a simple definition.
            Last edited by RJ Productions; 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM.
            R&J Productions
            Las Vegas, NV
            www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

What do you have to lose?

I still would not worry too much about the inspections because this is a charitable event and what do you have to lose? If the town decides to inspect and don't want people walking through something, you can always revert to an elaborate yard display. I have trouble believing that the town will stop you from having trick or treaters come on your property because you made a haunted trail, path or whatever. This just seems a little extreme and petty. After all, you are doing something beneficial to the community.

One question I would ask is: what is going to prompt the town to inspect? And let the answer be your guide as to what you're planning. I agree with RJ that the answer could depend on local government, but also consider the circumstances surrounding the event. If you plan your event as safe as possible, promote that this as charitable and maintain good relationship with neighbors, you are significantly reducing your chances of having problems.

Comment

Dangerous...

Be VERY careful when having a haunt opened to the public. You need to check with local gov. for any restrictions, and foremost - check with your homeowner's insurance company...people CAN and WILL sue you if they get hurt on your property. Good luck otherwise....oh, and make sure you hire local law enforcement to protect your investments!!! Have Fun, be safe and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X