Hangman prop - offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangman prop - offensive?

Just wanted to hear your opinion about this hangman prop. I heard a priest who is protesting a family's halloween decorations on their front yard, more specifically, a hangman prop. He said it is offensive in light of what happened in Louisana and wants it taken down. He called the police who showed up at the house, but apparently no one is home now.

So, do you think I should put out my hangman on my yard haunt on the day of October 31st only? Do you think I will have any backlash?

Just read the other recent thread

No need to rehash it all again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Roger View Post
      He said it is offensive in light of what happened in Louisana and wants it taken down.
      ....I must live under a rock. What exactly happened in Louisiana?

Comment

Different things offend different people. If it works for you, so be it.
        Nobody in this haunted entertainment business wants some else telling them what to display. The depiction of a lynching is very offensive to many people for obvious reasons.
        There , all said, as before in condensed form-Done.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I did some internet research and it looks like there have been news headlines of complaints also in Indiana, Tennessee, Wisconisn, New York, New Jersey, Georgia, and Massachusetts. In every instance! These families removed the props. This world has become so politically correct it makes me sick! First they were trying to push the "Let's give out healthy snacks on Halloween, and not give out candy, but give out raisins and figs". Come on people, lighten up! It's Halloween happens only once a year, the holiday is based on the dead, thst includes ghosts, spirits, grim reapers, yes Death!

Comment

"Yup! Can't get enough of that "Death", just can't get enough of that de...a.t..Agh!

fade to black....
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I had complaints this year, called by the city, requested to take it down.
              I cited the existence of the hangman throughout recorded time and stated simply no one group, culture or demographic owns the significance of the imagery.
              Also noted to them, the figure was dressed in a completely undistinguising manner, had they looked, would have appeared caucasian.
              I then pointed out my best freinds brother had hung hinmself, and I do not find it offensive.

If they find it offensive, they do not need to look, could take take a different route, or whatever it takes not to offend themselves.

I also told them for 10 yrs this hangman has been part of this display, of the 10s of thousands who have seen attended the haunt over those years, there had not been a single complaint.

I pointed out the 4 other instances of hangmen around just our city alone I knew of, and inquired if they also were be requested to remove the hangmen - nope

I then inquired if there was an ordinance I was violating - nope.

Then asked if I was required to provide a permit for this display (I already there is none required) - nope.

I told them I would remove the hangman imeediately after halloween but not before. That the presentation should be taken in context, halloween, ghosts, and a graveyard...hmmm, hard to get the symbology there.

I reminded them, that the PROP was on private property, and I was well within my civil rights.

I said, if the complaints continued, please tell them to contact my attorney (he lives for free speech issues).

Not another word after that conversation.

DO NOT put up with the bullshit of hypersensitive, politically correct simps who only want to cause a ruckus.
              GoryCorey
              See all MinionsWeb Original Cob Web Guns, Boomer Air Cannons and weather tight LED Light Bulbs at the MinionsWeb.com online store

Comment

All of my friends, neighbors, and my fiancee say "Go ahead and leave it there no matter what!" But I am thinking I really don't want a bunch of angry people protesting outside my house, hmmm, or do I? I might get publicity and get some video footage of our Haunt!!! Hee hee!

By the way, if I end up with the news at my house, tell me so I can check the internet for you and troll the message boards to defend myself!

Comment

Ahh, with 2000 coming thru a yard haunt in 3.5 hours, I have enough traffic....

Heard nothing, other than guest compliments, and screams.

In fact I asked a bunch of folks (we have a very culturally mixed community here) if anyone felt that the hangman was offensive, they all said to the effect of "are you kidding, how is that offensive?, its about halloween...."

Supposedly a news crew came while helpers were setting up (I was working remotely for my job, so I missed it completely). Nothing aired that I am aware of.
                  GoryCorey
                  See all MinionsWeb Original Cob Web Guns, Boomer Air Cannons and weather tight LED Light Bulbs at the MinionsWeb.com online store

Comment

Selective enforcement. There is a law, code and numerous people are all doing the same thing, yet they only say that YOU can't do it.
                    Amazing how some Policemen just wish we were all so ignorant so they could bully us around over petty things, it must fill some psychological void in their personality or something? Maybe they should be working scaring people in a haunted house instead!
                    There we go. Everybody is happy then!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Everything has become some sort of hate symbol. Quite frankly, I would say do it, and let people complain all they want.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful things, and it is a shame that is being beaten down so badly as of late because we all have to stay "politically correct"... If things are too gruesome, then look the other way. You are only a kid once! And, in my case every Halloween!

Comment

Working...
                      X